Author Topic: Reddit Post - Not Favourable - Community May Want to Engage  (Read 5228 times)

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
*agreed*

summary:
bitcoin miners => nuclear power plants :-)

sounds ridiculous, i know.  but bitcoin started:  crypto > banks.  :)

anything is possible.

not really that ridiculous anymore, thanks to this article:  http://www.fastcoexist.com/3036271/the-sharing-economy-takes-on-electricity-so-you-can-buy-your-power-from-neighbors

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
If you bought bitcoin at >$600, you don't want to see post any crypto innovations better than bitcoin

I think the hostility/scepticism does result from feeling threatened; the Bitshares branding and DPOS tech are different from anything that has come before.

Folks sense intuitively that Bitshares is not another shitcoin pump and feel their 1.0 interests are may be at risk should a 2.0 platform to gain traction.

This is something the Bitshares community will have to be very cognizant of.

Given the reception Bitshares has received so far I am *very* surprised Brian & Co are not engaging the Bitcoin community in the forums when these sorts of posts come up.

Most (all?) of the other 2.0 platforms have devs/PR folks that are actively engaging the forums. The Storj/OB folks in particular stand out for doing an excellent job of communicating.

The need to keep marketing efforts on a low-boil while the development stage wraps up is understandable.

However, the cat is out of the bag and like it or not first-impressions are being formed right now.

A positive, respectful and consistent response to questions and concerns now will massively reduce the struggle to be 'not another shitcoin pump' during roll-out.

Huge thank-you to arhag, robrigo, methodx, fuznuts and all the other folks that responded. You did a great job providing measured and well-reasoned replies.

Agreed, if you are follower of Reddit it is easy to see the players who are capturing the low hanging fruit that is available in the space by simply showing up everyday. Storj, Open Bazaar and Ethereum use Reddit very wisely and their traction is obvious.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
If you bought bitcoin at >$600, you don't want to see post any crypto innovations better than bitcoin

I think the hostility/scepticism does result from feeling threatened; the Bitshares branding and DPOS tech are different from anything that has come before.

Folks sense intuitively that Bitshares is not another shitcoin pump and feel their 1.0 interests are may be at risk should a 2.0 platform to gain traction.

This is something the Bitshares community will have to be very cognizant of.

Given the reception Bitshares has received so far I am *very* surprised Brian & Co are not engaging the Bitcoin community in the forums when these sorts of posts come up.

Most (all?) of the other 2.0 platforms have devs/PR folks that are actively engaging the forums. The Storj/OB folks in particular stand out for doing an excellent job of communicating.

The need to keep marketing efforts on a low-boil while the development stage wraps up is understandable.

However, the cat is out of the bag and like it or not first-impressions are being formed right now.

A positive, respectful and consistent response to questions and concerns now will massively reduce the struggle to be 'not another shitcoin pump' during roll-out.

Huge thank-you to arhag, robrigo, methodx, fuznuts and all the other folks that responded. You did a great job providing measured and well-reasoned replies.

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
Such posts are there to learn from.

we don't want to be the "the greedy company" that commercialized the non professional Bitcoin community / grass roots effort (such a sentiment of course woud be entirely irrational since everything is based on free trade but nevertheless influential):
... maybe avoid peaks of confidence like " use our edge to suck all of the wealth listed in coinmarketcap"

+5%

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
Right, but there's nothing keeping them from taking their Bitcoin and investing in Bitshares... More productive than bitching about it... And much more profitable  ;)
you forgot the
[not-an-investment-advice-(tm)]  ;)

Right! Everything that I say engages me and only me, I'm not giving any investment advice and my opinion is only my opinion haha  ;) (but still, I'm bullish about Bitshares anyway hehe)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Right, but there's nothing keeping them from taking their Bitcoin and investing in Bitshares... More productive than bitching about it... And much more profitable  ;)
you forgot the
[not-an-investment-advice-(tm)]  ;)

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

Offline joele

• View Profile

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
*agreed*

summary:

sounds ridiculous, i know.  but bitcoin started:  crypto > banks.  :)

anything is possible.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
*agreed*

summary:

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
anyway, i guess one good reason for renewable energy research is to be able to set up peer to peer energy grids.  that at least could help humanity in a way.  we can't stop energy use (like wasteful btc mining), so why not distribute energy in a decentralized manner.  there's an argument that it would make it cheaper.
The issue here is also efficiency .. a nuclear power plant is alot more efficient then 100 wind mills or solar panels on the roofs .. also the distribution over 10 high voltage power lanes is more efficient than 100 low power lanes :-|
physical efficiency and decentralization do not really fit well together it seems

true.  that's exactly why i think the bitcoin millionaires should at least start doing some R&D on renewable energy and improve the technology.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Such posts are there to learn from.

we don't want to be the "the greedy company" that commercialized the non professional Bitcoin community / grass roots effort (such a sentiment of course woud be entirely irrational since everything is based on free trade but nevertheless influential):
... maybe avoid peaks of confidence like " use our edge to suck all of the wealth listed in coinmarketcap"

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
anyway, i guess one good reason for renewable energy research is to be able to set up peer to peer energy grids.  that at least could help humanity in a way.  we can't stop energy use (like wasteful btc mining), so why not distribute energy in a decentralized manner.  there's an argument that it would make it cheaper.
The issue here is also efficiency .. a nuclear power plant is alot more efficient then 100 wind mills or solar panels on the roofs .. also the distribution over 10 high voltage power lanes is more efficient than 100 low power lanes :-|
physical efficiency and decentralization do not really fit well together it seems

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

They did a fantastic job. It's sort of ironic that the same people that struggle to get others to take Bitcoin seriously shrug off other technologies like they themselves are shrugged off. Maybe they don't see the irony, I dunno. History is littered with those that hold too tightly to the past. What is most depressing is that they do not see how these new technologies can bolster Bitcoin and give it more strength in the world. Perhaps after Vegas some will understand better that we are not their enemy.
+5% ..
but people need to open their eyes and stop that mining sh*** as quickly as possible .. [/IMHO]

+5% agreed

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
green electricity doesn't really count IMHO:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_thermodynamics

clicked that wiki and i was like whoa.. so i had to search for another article.  found this:  http://www.shapingtomorrowsworld.org/energy_is_neither.html

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:15:12 am by lucky331 »