Author Topic: Good idea to reallocate part of dev fund for NMC and BTC?  (Read 8222 times)

Offline mdw

• View Profile
NMC can relaunch with a squatter resistant DNS on a more efficient blockchain, which can allow it to list separately, yet still within the Bitshares umbrella (due to the PTS/AGS)

Yeah good luck getting Namecoin to switch to DPoS, that does mean abandoning merge-mining with Bitcoin.

The toolset/support between the 2 projects obviously has huge overlap though.  So I think it might be possible to work with them.  Just give them $$ no strings attached and don't go announcing it all over the place.  Just a sincere and friendly gesture to help them with their development and hopefully become more of a team or at the very least align some aspects of the projects.  DNS servers supporting both projects simultaneously, plugins, etc.

Although we are direct competitors, neither project is going away.  So it makes far more sense to see the hoards of non-adopters as the shared goal where everyone benefits.

Since all the non-blockchain infrastructure will potentially be shared it totally makes sense to work together. This is hardly Apple vs. Microsoft, this is more like Mosaic browser versus Netscape in 1994. Both groups should be focused on growing the non-ICANN market for domains 1000x. There are hundreds of millions of domains registered in the legacy system, and we're probably looking at only hundreds of thousands of decentralized domains next year.

I support a sharedrop. But give them an insanely short time period, say 30 or 60 days (rather than a year) to redeem.

Yeah - it has a pronounced effect if people act in the initial weeks. 9 months out is not at all the same dynamic.
"A good friend will always stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Offline mint chocolate chip

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I support a sharedrop. But give them an insanely short time period, say 30 or 60 days (rather than a year) to redeem. If they don't use it, then they lose it quickly, and it shouldn't make much difference to other holders. The sharedrop is for PR value mainly.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Lol.  No ducking needed here.  The non-starter is getting NMC switching to DPOS.  I am only speaking on an educated guess, but I think they're probably quite happy where they are being merge mined off BTC for security.

Although I wonder how many pools merge mine etc.  If only the 2 largest pools bothered to merge mine that could be some serious centralization.

The toolset/support between the 2 projects obviously has huge overlap though.  So I think it might be possible to work with them.  Just give them $$ no strings attached and don't go announcing it all over the place.  Just a sincere and friendly gesture to help them with their development and hopefully become more of a team or at the very least align some aspects of the projects.  DNS servers supporting both projects simultaneously, plugins, etc.

Although we are direct competitors, neither project is going away.  So it makes far more sense to see the hoards of non-adopters as the shared goal where everyone benefits.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:04:13 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline bobmaloney

*WARNING: Crazy suggestion ahead:

Collaboration via "scorched earth" & trade:

Maybe the most fair and productive attempt to bring Bitshares DNS & NMC development together toward the common goal would be a proposal similar to this:

Trade NMC ownership with Bitshares DNS based on PTS/AGS.

NMC switches to DPoS, adopts .p2p domain auction protocol and sharedrops 10% PTS / 10% AGS.

Bitshares DNS sharedrops 20% to NMC.

The "Scorched Earth" part = all current .bit domain ownership abandoned in return for equivalent NMC purchase amount (maybe with slight adjustments) when transitioned to DPoS.

NMC can relaunch with a squatter resistant DNS on a more efficient blockchain, which can allow it to list separately, yet still within the Bitshares umbrella (due to the PTS/AGS)

OR launch the new .bit alongside .p2p on the same blockchain.

*ducks for cover*
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Do not sharedrop.  Just donate to development.  Win the hearts of the leaders.

I do not see a NameCoin development entity.  They do have a developer's mailing list where you could ask to help them fund development.  Just be honest/straightforward, explain how you want to build bridges not moats.  Tell them you are willing to give them 1/12th of 1 % per month of the DNS DAC if they can provide someone you can trust in that the funds will be spent well on development.  It is a bit of a hassle, but IMO better off. 

Although sharedropping to NMC might mean a lot of shares will never be claimed.  In general I would say that sharedropping 1% isn't worth it, save the effort.  Give a hundred people something to complain about.  Especially with this money/rental system.

Furthermore, if they were open to it, the person being funded would hopefully have a more open and positive demeanor allowing more direct and useful/synergistic development between these 2 similar products.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Do not sharedrop.  Just donate to development.  Win the hearts of the leaders.

I do not see a NameCoin development entity.  They do have a developer's mailing list where you could ask to help them fund development.  Just be honest/straightforward, explain how you want to build bridges not moats.  Tell them you are willing to give them 1/12th of 1 % per month of the DNS DAC if they can provide someone you can trust in that the funds will be spent well on development.  It is a bit of a hassle, but IMO better off. 

Although sharedropping to NMC might mean a lot of shares will never be claimed.  In general I would say that sharedropping 1% isn't worth it, save the effort.  Give a hundred people something to complain about.  Especially with this money/rental system.

Offline mdw

• View Profile
I think it's a good idea, too. (Disclaimer: I'm holding less than 10 NMC).

The NMC community knows better than anyone else what the DNS DAC is about and what potential it has - IMO they are less likely to dump than the average PTS/AGS holder.

I agree 100%. I also own less than 10 NMC. But it sounds like the marketing folks feel like they need more money too, so it's easy to see how this decision would be difficult.
"A good friend will always stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
It would make sense to me to work out a comprehensive marketing strategy before launch / allocation and see whether a BTC / NMC sharedrop makes sense within the big picture of this strategy.

That's a good point. There is a lot of insider stuff going on now AFAIK, which I am excited about, but which makes giving advice or helping out really hard when I think about it.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
It would make sense to me to work out a comprehensive marketing strategy before launch / allocation and see whether a BTC / NMC sharedrop makes sense within the big picture of this strategy.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
i am not a fan of airdrops!

1% of hopfully 5 million is to small to attract any attention.

what will this achieve? not much in my opinion.

would be much better if you could "airdrop" the already used .bit names for the url owners. this will costs nothing and will help to convered the active .bit users. the namecoin holders will only dump DNS because the piece is to small to think about it.

if you really want to airdrop maybe do it like lottoshares with timelocks and then you should reallocate some of the "mined" DNS for the delegates to namecoin holders. so the interest will be much greater.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Would anyone bother to claim a 1% stake?

If you award it all equally, then it's not really "dropping" at all, just giving a free sample to NMC and BTC holders. And people aren't just going to claim samples out of nowhere, the process of implementing it, educating people, and marketing it requires a lot of resources in any case. I would think there are better ways to hand out free samples, but I am not an expert, so I defer to marketeers who have studied this.

Didn't someone mention a referral program? How much would that cost?

I would definitely try to think of an idea to avoid the vitriol of NMC community when DNS comes crawlin' up their spine, but we could just as easily invite the whole dev. team to Virginia all expenses covered. The news alone would return the cost. As well as do a special competitions, bounties, and handouts in the NMC community.

I have no idea, just some thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:44:35 pm by CLains »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
1% of your DNS is 60k USD at 6 million market cap. Ask some of the marketers on this forum what they could do with 60k USD. Now consider whether the promise of money spent that way won't increase the value of your DAC more than dropping this or that way.

that on the other side is reasonable too. The question is can a marketer reach more with 30k usd than when 1/5 of all namecoin holders and 1/100 of all bitcoicoin holders download the btsDNS sofware?

I'd say the value in the example above would be something closer to 30k hence the illiquidity of the market.
1/4 and 1/100 was an estimate.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I think that this overall is not very effective: Say you give BTC and Namecoin everything, they still might just dump it. If you give them a tiny but it doesnt matter much.

I would allocate 1% to BTC holders and 1% to Namecoin holders. But so that every btc and namecoin holders / address gets the same amount of DNSshares. This reaches also has the advantage that you reach the frequent / long term users more which probably have more addresses. The desired goal here would be to get them to download the BTS-DNS software and see how it works. Plain buying their approval by allocating stake won't work (ideological / emotional barriers are too high).