Author Topic: Patrick Byrne - Bitcoin Conference Announcements  (Read 10768 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Well I heard Alibaba has plans to launch an equity with BitSharesX.  ;)

seriously?

Of course its a joke but seriously it would make much more sense. With the strong support of the Chinese community and the fact that they seem much more willing to adopt new technology.
bitUSD and bitCNY would be great as a payment option for their goods. 

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile
Check this out! Top secret and stealth is enough to excite anyone. I'll interpret that as a + for crypto.

http://bitcoin.jobboard.io/jobs/16960-senior-backend-developer-at-overstock

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
...ofcourse we can deal in bitsecurities it just requires a bit of changes here and there.  The code is good enough, we may need to do a few hard forks a long the way.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Thom

Overall it makes sense to centralize certain parts because it has to be centralized to be regulated.

Isn't one of the MAIN points NOT to be regulated but let the market set the rules?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fuzzy

I think he is joking.  Sadly... :P

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

seriously?
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline yellowecho

696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

I suspect that Overstock is going to fork the code and announce their own platform. This would explain why they are querying the community about how to build one. There is a clue I found where they were seeking to hire an expert programmer with a resume a lot like Dan.

This isn't to say that Dan is involved but that Overstock is seeking someone with a skillset which is remarkable in similarity. It leads me to believe they are going to build their own platform and why not? They have the money to do it.

You and (if toast is serious too)  think that own blockchain belonging to a huge company is good idea and the best solution. And while I understand how this will be better then the current state of affairs in a lot of ways; I fail too see how in the long run it will be better for them to use their own centralized solution instead of a public/decentralized one, when such decentralized platforms are readily available.

It's cheaper and better for their shareholders. It's not a matter of long term necessarily in the business world.

I don't know how Overstock is run but most corporations just want to profit.

It is cheaper and better but stock holders usually have investments in tens and even hundreds of different entities - each of them having its own system is not most convenient and  most likely not the cheapest solution for the investor. When exchanges  do become available offering the same benefits as those in-house solutions as the Overstock/IBM ones, it will be hard justifying using only their in house exchange.

Overstock has an opportunity to replace NASDAQ and Dow, and they can do it in a way which is compatible with Bitshares. Bitshares can't do everything right now.

If thats true then we have to start releasing more bitAssets to make it harder for them to get the commodity assets down (such as gold, silver, corn, etc) so they have to leap rather than step towards them "..[replacing] NASDAQ and Dow."

If we have the easy pickins forex bitAssets and commodity bitAssets they will really have to jump to get into a NASDAQ and Dow scenerio.  Whereas we will be the first mover....atleast in some assets.

***Addition Important***

How much time do we think we have till they have a working prototype/platform to start there NASDAQ/Dow conquest?

They aren't interested in commodities. They are interested in cryptosecurities. There is a big difference between the two.

Bitshares X does not deal with securities and by design cannot. It could be a symbiotic mutually beneficial relationship between Overstock and the 2.0 community.

The 2.0 community generally understands the big picture. Overstock has centralized trust and credibility which we can't have by being decentralized. We've been looking for a Gateway service to turn IOUs into commodities? Overstock could act as that Gateway while also producing a legitimate regulated stock exchange.

Overall it makes sense to centralize certain parts because it has to be centralized to be regulated. I don't think they should be seen as a threat any more than IBM is.

ofcourse we can deal in bitsecurities it just requires a bit of changes here and there.  The code is good enough, we may need to do a few hard forks a long the way.

Its just time if there is a market when this comes up...as in if someone else has not taken it over.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

I suspect that Overstock is going to fork the code and announce their own platform. This would explain why they are querying the community about how to build one. There is a clue I found where they were seeking to hire an expert programmer with a resume a lot like Dan.

This isn't to say that Dan is involved but that Overstock is seeking someone with a skillset which is remarkable in similarity. It leads me to believe they are going to build their own platform and why not? They have the money to do it.

You and (if toast is serious too)  think that own blockchain belonging to a huge company is good idea and the best solution. And while I understand how this will be better then the current state of affairs in a lot of ways; I fail too see how in the long run it will be better for them to use their own centralized solution instead of a public/decentralized one, when such decentralized platforms are readily available.

It's cheaper and better for their shareholders. It's not a matter of long term necessarily in the business world.

It is cheaper and better but stock holders usually have investments in tens and even hundreds of different entities - each of them having its own system is not most convenient and  most likely not the cheapest solution for the investor. When exchanges  do become available offering the same benefits as those in-house solutions as the Overstock/IBM ones, it will be hard justifying using only their in house exchange.

Overstock has an opportunity to replace NASDAQ and Dow, and they can do it in a way which is compatible with Bitshares. Bitshares can't do everything right now.

If thats true then we have to start releasing more bitAssets to make it harder for them to get the commodity assets down (such as gold, silver, corn, etc) so they have to leap rather than step towards them "..[replacing] NASDAQ and Dow."

If we have the easy pickins forex bitAssets and commodity bitAssets they will really have to jump to get into a NASDAQ and Dow scenerio.  Whereas we will be the first mover....atleast in some assets.

***Addition Important***

How much time do we think we have till they have a working prototype/platform to start there NASDAQ/Dow conquest?

They aren't interested in commodities. They are interested in cryptosecurities. There is a big difference between the two.

Bitshares X does not deal with securities and by design cannot. It could be a symbiotic mutually beneficial relationship between Overstock and the 2.0 community.

The 2.0 community generally understands the big picture. Overstock has centralized trust and credibility which we can't have by being decentralized. We've been looking for a Gateway service to turn IOUs into commodities? Overstock could act as that Gateway while also producing a legitimate regulated stock exchange.

Overall it makes sense to centralize certain parts because it has to be centralized to be regulated. I don't think they should be seen as a threat any more than IBM is.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

***Addition Important***

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline GaltReport

+5%

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Overstock may be a first mover in terms of major company offering cryptocurrency(s).

However the company is not growing that much, jigged its revenue somehow (not looking too indepthly) December 2013 earnings $400 million revenue $75 million profit when normally it makes $330 revenue per quarter with $1 - $3 million profit.  (Normal margins in retail even online retail, look at Amazon 0.50% margin.)

Dont take in consideration to much about Overstock only a small amount of their users use bitcoin as their payment option.  (Remember most people got into bitcoin on speculation, its only now that they are probably starting to spend small amounts).

They do have zero long term debt but their cash/accounts payable is how they are running their business whereas their accounts receivable is only 6 - 8% their cash and 10% their accounts payable.

Interesting company....

***Addition***

Notice that if they were getting many users from bitcoin they would have already understand the "slow transacton times" that bitcoin has.  (Unless your using an exchange and boom look at mtgox).

They (Overstock) is playing this cryptocurrency game half ass otherwise the small amount of transactions they got they would have been ahead of us as did not they announce they would use bitcoin last a year and some ago.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:23:08 am by eagleeye »

Offline James212

• View Profile
Peershares has done a good job explaining that it is a foundation for custom blockchain solutions, while bitshares is still synonymous with btsx for most of the world

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IMO we have to get prof. hand outs / Broschures or whatever for

- Investors (What, when, why)
- Companies (Individual Blockchain/public+intern etc.)

Honestly i like the way ripple do this ... they have presentations for all target groups…

+5% This guy gets it. All target demographics.

+5%
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag

+5%

It would be annoying (and can add up in fees) to use cross-chain trading to move currency from one company's stock exchange to another all the time for a trader.

In addition, with a blockchain cryptostock that the company has full control over, it ends up being no different than a centralized exchange solution: you need to trust your currency held in the exchange (whether to buy the stock or the money received from selling it) with the company running that exchange. The whole point of the decentralized exchange is that we no longer need to trust companies with our money in order to trade. Also, it is not clear that the company would want to deal with the added liability of safely holding the trader's funds.

I think there would be multiple stock exchanges DACs (for scalability reasons) but not too many because of the inconvenience of doing atomic cross-chain trading of BitCurrencies from one blockchain to another.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline fuzzy

%5
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
How many dedicated people do we have on the marketing team?

It would be nice to start making a push into all demographics at the Vegas conference
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Peershares has done a good job explaining that it is a foundation for custom blockchain solutions, while bitshares is still synonymous with btsx for most of the world

Honestly i like the way ripple do this ... they have presentations for all target groups…

+5% This guy gets it. All target demographics.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

- exchanges
- enduser
- trader

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:40:04 pm by cass »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
I highly doubt Overstock will announce a particular platform they are going with in 10 days.   When we talked with them they were very early in the process.

It could be that they only had those talks to acquire strategic information on how to build a system using their own programmers (Bill Gate's, Steve Jobs, Xerox). Then they would be able to launch their own decentralized stock exchange and use the technology and ideas without giving credit to the Bitshares and other communities. They could bank on the fact that they are a well known credible centralized company that people trust.

Using their own chain they don't have to pay fees to Bitcoin either. So I don't see why a company would go to Counterparty.

Offline willaim

• Never forget your dream!
    • View Profile
it's well known that one of the most advantageous points for chinese company is to customise a new solution (here is a blockchain customization) with the fastest speed. you may remember the same story in film <2012> while the chinese factory finished a new ship during 2 weeks. yes, peershares generated it quickly with full controlled power by overstock. However, this blockchain will be "single computer and die" chain if only peershares and overstock use it.
the second company would like to be the second overstock, so a new blockchain will be copyed and generated for the next company.......

it seems that customized user-assert (such as overstockcoin) is better solution.

It is very reasonable to want to issue shares onto a blockchain you have full control over

I don't know much about PeerShares, but if PeerShares and the BitShares Toolkit are both open source projects written by other people, why would one give Overstock more control over the other?
Please contribute PTS to this address if my info is useful for you: PjjYtWpwmwEMA1MK9mjpDpSYzkTMPgjm7X

Offline bytemaster

I highly doubt Overstock will announce a particular platform they are going with in 10 days.   When we talked with them they were very early in the process. 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
I think some of the overstock talks may have been slightly exaggerated.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

6/10 is in just 2 weeks, not too much waiting left to learn more...
In the mean time, I have this post https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8832.0 ,so in my world BM is truly not aware what Overstock is thinking...

As for this :'It is very reasonable to want to issue shares onto a blockchain you have full control over', I tend to think toast is joking.

Offline willaim

• Never forget your dream!
    • View Profile
it's well known that one of the most advantageous points for chinese company is to customise a new solution (here is a blockchain customization) with the fastest speed. you may remember the same story in film <2012> while the chinese factory finished a new ship during 2 weeks. yes, peershares generated it quickly with full controlled power by overstock. However, this blockchain will be "single computer and die" chain if only peershares and overstock use it.
the second company would like to be the second overstock, so a new blockchain will be copyed and generated for the next company.......

it seems that customized user-assert (such as overstockcoin) is better solution.

It is very reasonable to want to issue shares onto a blockchain you have full control over

I don't know much about PeerShares, but if PeerShares and the BitShares Toolkit are both open source projects written by other people, why would one give Overstock more control over the other?
Please contribute PTS to this address if my info is useful for you: PjjYtWpwmwEMA1MK9mjpDpSYzkTMPgjm7X

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
So is the rumor now that Overstock and Peershares might be working together?
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Bytemaster and Patrick Byrne have sat in a room and talked it out one-to-one right?? If after that, he at this point in time commits to any technology other than the BitShares toolkit for implementing cryptostocks, then I just... I have no words.

Did they really sit and talk about ? They were supposed to go to Overstock headquarters sometimes in August did that happen ?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:50:17 pm by oco101 »

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

Hmm...I guess I've never heard PeerShares make these claims (I didn't think it had even launched yet until tomorrow [?]). But BitShares has a custom blockchain solution in the form of the DAC toolkit...right?

My main reason is not this but "tough luck" - just have this shit gut feeling (as unprofessional as it sounds). Btsx would suit it more, but then again we would probs now about it by now if it was the case
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7

Hmm...I guess I've never heard PeerShares make these claims (I didn't think it had even launched yet until tomorrow [?]). But BitShares has a custom blockchain solution in the form of the DAC toolkit...right?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
I wish. Unfortunately, if Dan signed an NDA he would most likely just not comment rather than lie to the community. Now I am hoping the announcement has nothing to do with cryptostocks.

I'm not too sure about that, it might seem more suspicious if he were to outright dodge the question. Also, perhaps Patrick is considering BitShares; would he even need to sign an agreement with Dan to make this decision? I don't know, maybe I'm grasping at straws here lol.

Bytemaster and Patrick Byrne have sat in a room and talked it out one-to-one right?? If after that, he at this point in time commits to any technology other than the BitShares toolkit for implementing cryptostocks, then I just... I have no words.

As a side thought -- if BitShares were to issue cryptosecurities in the near future, what avenue would be used (BitSharesX, BitSharesME, some other DAC)?

$10 says they're gonna use peershares

+5%  :'(

Any reason in particular you guys think PeerShares would be a better fit for the job?

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

+5%  :'(
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
I know nothing about this.

You right it would be fun except :

Or that's what he wants us to think  ;D

...yes, it's a stretch, but damnit an investor can dream, right??

I wish. Unfortunately, if Dan signed an NDA he would most likely just not comment rather than lie to the community. Now I am hoping the announcement has nothing to do with cryptostocks.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

Well, that actually is believable. I don't see why they would use anything other than a custom platform.

We are talking about a big billion dollar company and typically they go the proprietary route on these things. For example IBM is launching their own blockchain technology.

In my opinion if I'm right it's a really good sign for the industry. It shows the industry is maturing and that big companies are willing to invest resources into growing and maintaining it.

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
https://twitter.com/OverstockCEO/status/514080375014834176

Hmmm...

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
One can only wish and hope but I don't think it will have to do with us. However whats good for one crypto can be good for all. Look at the adoption rate of btc since Newegg started accepting them.
It will just take one company to break the ice and have a good experience.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
One can only wish and hope but I don't think it will have to do with us. However whats good for one crypto can be good for all. Look at the adoption rate of btc since Newegg started accepting them.
It will just take one company to break the ice and have a good experience.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile

Or that's what he wants us to think  ;D

...yes, it's a stretch, but damnit an investor can dream, right??

Offline oco101

• View Profile
Seems like Counterparty has the advantage already: http://www.wired.com/2014/07/overstock-and-cryptocurrency/

Nah, that was just how that particular article was framed. From what I've heard Overstock had been in talks with NXT before that, and I believe BitShares has had talks with them as well (not sure how in depth, though).

Personally, I feel the timing may be right, what with Bitshares holding the #4 spot firm and the ridiculous advantages Bitshares has in this space (esp. the name alone, which I will forever believe is Bitshares' #1 marketing tool and leg-up over the competition). Also, the coincidence that both Dan and Patrick are 2 of the 4 keynote speakers at this event...sounds like a match made in heaven to me!

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
Seems like Counterparty has the advantage already: http://www.wired.com/2014/07/overstock-and-cryptocurrency/

Nah, that was just how that particular article was framed. From what I've heard Overstock had been in talks with NXT before that, and I believe BitShares has had talks with them as well (not sure how in depth, though).

Personally, I feel the timing may be right, what with Bitshares holding the #4 spot firm and the ridiculous advantages Bitshares has in this space (esp. the name alone, which I will forever believe is Bitshares' #1 marketing tool and leg-up over the competition). Also, the coincidence that both Dan and Patrick are 2 of the 4 keynote speakers at this event...sounds like a match made in heaven to me!

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
you think BM knows more about this? whole bunch of btsx people around there!?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Really hope I3 kept up the contact! #dopehope2014

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
Hmmm...hmm indeed. Could it be...? Nah...but...maybe?

One can hope.