Author Topic: Manual market making, worth it?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I personally find manual trading on the BTSX platform+BTER+BTC38 while reading this forum quite entertaining, if nothing else. Plus you do not need any high amount of profit as it is your free time reading about the stuff you like anyway....

If the question is about 'market making', I would leave this job to the automated systems...

Yeah good point, it's an excellent feeling to manually pull the trigger on a nice fat arbitrage.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline bytemaster

I have made good money with manual ops. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I personally find manual trading on the BTSX platform+BTER+BTC38 while reading this forum quite entertaining, if nothing else. Plus you do not need any high amount of profit as it is your free time reading about the stuff you like anyway....

If the question is about 'market making', I would leave this job to the automated systems...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:56:55 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hi,

I wish to know if it's possilbe to make a decent profit by spending time doing some non-automated market marking for the BitAssets or a if bot is indispensable for such activity?

All operations that can be performed by bots can also be performed by humans .. (no the other way round thought) ... the only two advantages bots have is a) they are automate! b) they are faster. .. then there are some psycological factors also but I won't bother with them ..

in the end you can still trade 'manually' and can make some profits depending on you trading .. sure

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I highly doubt there is enough volume right now to make it worthwhile to do it by hand.

The one place where it could work is in the BitUSD/BitCNY market. Since fiatCNY is essentially pegged to fiatUSD, the ratio between BitUSD and BitCNY should change quite slowly over time, so manual market making in that market would be equivalent to placing a single bid and ask, +/- whatever spread you want to offer.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile
Hi,

I wish to know if it's possilbe to make a decent profit by spending time doing some non-automated market marking for the BitAssets or a if bot is indispensable for such activity?