Author Topic: Delegates Please Publish Feeds More Often  (Read 20213 times)

Offline bytemaster

Also.. the scripts will need to add premiums to certain exchanges based upon risks in that exchange.

Claiming that the BTC price was the weighted average of Gox and Bitstamp is foolish... there exists a "Gox discount" that should be added to their feed before it can be incorporated...  and that premium changes over time. 

Price feeds are not trivial and ultimately need to come from an internal market rather than an external one.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline GaltReport

You could always put a configuration to the script that assigns weight on each exchange's feed.
Each delegate might want to tweak the weights depending on his "believes"/policies or whatever.

So, you could have one script with some delegate configurable settings.  Sounds interesting.

I just think the energy spent monitoring and chastising delegates may not be well spent.  Maybe better to just provide the script with some configurable settings and release it under github like the client itself.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:34:53 pm by GaltReport »

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
www.bitsharesblocks.com is a good start. I'm not sure what is available through client GUI.

I am aware of that. I found it very nice but it doen't tell me anything about who I should vote or unvote and why... Or does it?

If you define what do you mean by "delegate to do his job properly" I could give better answer.
About the price feeds - they are visible on www.bitsharesblocks.com and as far as I know more statistics will be implemented very soon.

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
Actually I think it may be beneficial to discount all feeds by 0.995 to give the market makers some breathing room and provide a buffer against down trends.
maybe  you should change this  rule at the wallet? discount the short wall price to 0.995*median price
because we'll disable feed price in the future right?

I would rather the delegates tweak this as necessary than introduce code changes with arbitrary numbers in it.
I have update the script with the discount

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
www.bitsharesblocks.com is a good start. I'm not sure what is available through client GUI.

I am aware of that. I found it very nice but it doen't tell me anything about who I should vote or unvote and why... Or does it?

Offline emski

• View Profile
You could always put a configuration to the script that assigns weight on each exchange's feed.
Each delegate might want to tweak the weights depending on his "believes"/policies or whatever.

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
It seems most of the delegates are using the auto script from the Bitsuperlab, because frequent updating is hard to be maintained by manually doing it. However it means most of the price feeds will be the same, then what's the point of publishing price feeds by delegates? Why we don't just integrate one price feed in wallet?

Because the consensus logic needs the feed.... because single source is too much trust in one individual... because the plan is for delegates to have increasing variety of feed publishing policies.

What you said is so true, but the result is indeed no difference between using auto script and integrating it in wallet, if most of the delegates use the script.  Somewhere must be wrong, but I can't tell. I am afraid that price feeds for pegging is  only a treat to the symptom, not the underlying problem. Sorry I can't give you any constructive suggestion except for my worries.
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline GaltReport

It seems most of the delegates are using the auto script from the Bitsuperlab, because frequent updating is hard to be maintained by manually doing it. However it means most of the price feeds will be the same, then what's the point of publishing price feeds by delegates? Why we don't just integrate one price feed in wallet?

Because the consensus logic needs the feed.... because single source is too much trust in one individual... because the plan is for delegates to have increasing variety of feed publishing policies.

I understand BM's comments but I must say I am sympathetic to either having the feed built-in or at least having the official dev team take over the price-feed script. I think many of the delegates did not expect and are not prepared to maintain a price-feed script.  If for no other reason than ensuring some sort of consistent approach and quality control.  There doesn't seem to be any QC on the price feed that delegates provide and many are apparently not providing any.

I
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:23:09 pm by GaltReport »

Offline bytemaster

How can I check which delegate is doing his job properly and who isn't?
How do I check what feed every delegate publishes?

Basically in simple terms and assuming GUI and windows how can I check the delegates?

I hope BitShares Blocks can gather feed publishing statistics for all delegates including which feeds and frequency of update.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline emski

• View Profile

Basically in simple terms and assuming GUI and windows how can I check the delegates?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline bytemaster

Actually I think it may be beneficial to discount all feeds by 0.995 to give the market makers some breathing room and provide a buffer against down trends.
maybe  you should change this  rule at the wallet? discount the short wall price to 0.995*median price
because we'll disable feed price in the future right?

I would rather the delegates tweak this as necessary than introduce code changes with arbitrary numbers in it.

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
I have add the LICENCE file, it's GPL