Author Topic: An open letter to Tonyk  (Read 15119 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I had a little laugh trying to imagine tonyk believing anybody to be a "precious gem."

I would also love it if tonyk would try to moderate his brash, abrasive style. However, I have to remind myself that he's the only one who can control his own reputation and if he wants to be a loudmouthed fighter, so be it. The reality is that he's not dumb, his opinions do usually have solid merit, and he seems to be here for the same reasons as the rest of us.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline kisa

• View Profile
Bitmarket, your friendly personality has got injured by Tonyk' direct style. Please get over it, you can't be friends with everyone. You are definitely welcome here on forum, just avoid trading insults with people who you don't like, ignore them or just learn from them. The differences might be personal characters, values, upbringing, or cultures. I appreciate Tonyk hints and trying to learn from them without putting any ego at stake... and please don't be afraid asking simple questions - that's important and someone will answer accordingly.

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
There are probably less than 100 forum members not on the main team that understand BitShares & BTSX well and take the time to engage on the forum and explain it to others. There are much less than that (20?) who also have a decent background in markets and trading. Those people are forum gems for BTSX in particular imo.

Unfortunately I'm not part of the second group but Tonyk is & he's one of the very few people that takes the time to help others. I often see him sending people BTSX to register & helping in the stupid question thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8390.0
Including assisting me & I wanted to tip him but he asked me to send it to Xeroc for the community development program. Even taking into account that he sometimes comes across as abrasive/sarcastic/arrogant, I would easily put him in the top 10 most valuable BitShares forum members myself. It would be a great loss if this thread discouraged one of the few BitAsset knowledgeable, active and helpful people on the forum.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I appreciate his presence here on the forum since he is a good contributor and I am sure a good guy. But his contributions would be equally beneficial content wise and a lot more beneficial overall if he would strip some of his posts of personal judgments.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I find his posts refreshing. Maybe he is a bit too aggressive, but this forum is full of people trying to be extra polite and/or are cowards so that balances it out.

+1

bitmarket has a point, but I love tonyk's presence in the threads where outside crypto communities come to fight
+5% +5% +5%

tonyk is truly open to other members and might sometimes choose words too harshly ..
Most times he is holding up to the netiquette though ..

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
What you are asking from tonyk is basically "STFU" with "nicer" choice of words.
Usually you understand what he has to say even though his language might be on the extreme side. And sometimes his feedback is valuable.
Given the fact this is an internet forum without rules I think current conversations are pretty decent and most of them constructive.
I see no point in restricting someone's free speech (at this moment).

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I find his posts refreshing. Maybe he is a bit too aggressive, but this forum is full of people trying to be extra polite and/or are cowards so that balances it out.

+1

bitmarket has a point, but I love tonyk's presence in the threads where outside crypto communities come to fight
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Thom

I totally concur with the OP, very well put.

Before I saw this thread I just posted a comment along the same lines in another thread. But the OP here was more comprehensive and said all that needs to be said about tonyk.

To tonyk - hey dude like I know what it's like to be perceived as a guy who communicates with "rough edges" or at times even a "negative tone". It's similar feedback to the OP that helped me to see my communication needed to change. I hope you receive this input with my sincerest of hope you will take it to heart and be a bit more empathetic towards the people you interact with online.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:32:16 pm by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

I agree, some people are really annoying and spaming this forum, and Tonyk definitely brings something to the table in those cases. But new comers need to be dealt with respect and kindness.

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
What we need is an army of knowledgeable, up-to-date, patient, kind and open-minded people that would be on this forum around the clock (easier said than done) that could answer all the questions of the new comers. I know there's a wiki and other posts that probably answer all their potential questions, but sometimes people have very specific questions for which the answers have already been answered, but those answers are buried deep in the forum/wiki, and sometimes would require several hours of reading to get to it. Not very practical and new-user friendly.

And having the feeling of being welcomed is what is called in marketing "user experience". They will be back if they feel they have been answered properly and respected at the same time.

sumantso

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
I hate to say it...but  +5%

Perception is everything, and if people come here and see name-calling etc, that perception is forever tainted...

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
HI Tonyk,

I have no idea who you are or what you do. Like everyone else I have met in Bitshares, I am sure you are an invaluable member of the team, and a true rockstar at something. Perhaps your are a genius coder, or a legendary UI guy. And given the number of posts you have made you most certainly have been here longer than me.

What I am quite certain of though is that you are not a rockstar at anything to do with interacting with customers or prospects.

A person who was a rockstar at those tasks would know that it takes an enormous amount of effort and strategy to put out press releases, make videos, write articles, speak at meetups and do webinars in the hopes of introducing maybe 10,000 people to bitshares.

A rockstar at customer service would be aware that of those 10,000 people touched only about 500 would have their interest piqued. Of those only about 50 would have the spare time after going a to their job and playing with their kids to do any research at all, let alone read several posts/articles and watch videos.

Of those, after being frustrated by not being able to fully grasp these very new and difficult concepts, only about 5 would still be curios enough and courageous enough to post questions in public forum where they run the risk of ridicule.

And a rockstar would know that after all that hard work, to get those 5 curious and courageous people to get involved in bistshares after they have asked those questions would be as simple as being friendly, humble and patient as they connect the last few dots on this very large and difficult concept.

In short, a rockstar would treat those 5, like the hard-earned precious gems that they are.

So please, stop sabotaging bitsharesx by responding to new inquiries. That is a specialty job whose primary prerequisite is that the person is not accused of being a dick so often, that they feel the need to preemptively defend against those accusations in their signature.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101