Author Topic: Beyond Bitcoin Show with Dan from 9-26. Lots of market talk. DO NOT MISS OUT  (Read 6226 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Another daytime bump.  This is the best place to learn about changes etc.

Daytime bump with new annotations

https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts/beyond-bitcoin-community-dev-hangout-2014-9-26

Beyond Bitcoin Community Dev Hangout -

0:00 show starts
4:35 Usually when you short there is a fee that is assessed upfront, why wait a month ?
5:20 Whats keeping someone from creating bots to create bots to cover and reshort ? Explain the monthly limit.
6:55 Talk of the bots that have been posted and released. How about a shorting bot ? How would it work ?
8:09 Will tweaks to bots be submitted to github ?
8:55 Another thing we are working on is a new transaction type says Bytemaster.
9:13 The other big event of the week is nubits.
12:14 Do you think there is a risk to Peercoin by Nubits ?
12:52 Lets highlight the difference in approaches between nubits vs the collateralization approach.
15:08 Dan points out how in fairness, Bitshares X has been called a ponzi scheme.
16:45 People were claiming nubits could fund development of peercoin and family, thoughts ?
21:03 How explaining things in the company metaphor helps in aiding the explanation of Bitshares X relative to other products.
23:40 Does Nubits hyper inflation affect Nushare price ?
25:20 Joking talk about a BitNuBit and being able to short it.
26:00 Is it possible to make an API for outside exchanges ?
27:55 What is the relation between I3 and the developers of Music DAC ?
29:30 Discussion of changes made
30:52 Why would the social contract prohibit the previous mentioned improvement ? Discussion on the 2 camps in the community and their wishes. How about over-leveraging the system with catastrophic effects ?
40:55 Can we have a feature that allows shareholders to propose a poll on the blockchain to vote on ?
43:00 What about Dacsunlimited cloning Bitshares X into other coins to maximize value to Bitshares X holders ?
45:55 Regarding DDOS attacks, how does POW compare to DPOS in regards to resiliency to attacks ?
50:05 What role are the delegates who are not in top 101 and can be they be analyzed as easily ?
51:03 It is likely Bitcoin will switch to DPOS and what effect would it have on Bitshares ?
53:20 The market overview page in the GUI, are there plans to make it nicer looking ?
54:00 Daniel Larimer starts to departs but says one last thing.
55:10 Post show starts. Talk of Cob from Music DAC will be coming next week. Talk of his his new non-technical whitepaper and how impressive it is. bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9360.0
An open discussion largely about Music DAC. A viewer thinks the possibility might be larger than Bitshares X?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Daytime bump with new annotations

https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts/beyond-bitcoin-community-dev-hangout-2014-9-26

4:35 Usually when you short there is a fee that is assessed upfront, why wait a month ?
5:20 Whats keeping someone from creating bots to create bots to cover and reshort ? Explain the monthly limit.
6:55 Talk of the bots that have been posted and released. How about a shorting bot ? How would it work ?
12:52 Lets highlight the difference in approaches between nubits vs the collateralization approach.
15:08 Dan points out how in fairness, Bitshares X has been called a ponzi scheme.
16:45 People were claiming nubits could fund development of peercoin and family, thoughts ?
21:03 How explaining things in the company metaphor helps in aiding the explanation of Bitshares X relative to other products.
23:40 Does Nubits hyper inflation affect Nushare price ?
30:52 Why would the social contract prohibit the previous mentioned improvement ? Discussion on the 2 camps in the community and their wishes. How about over-leveraging the system with catastrophic effects ?
40:55 Can we have a feature that allows shareholders to propose a poll on the blockchain to vote on ?
43:00 What about Dacsunlimited cloning Bitshares X into other coins to maximize value to Bitshares X holders ?
45:55 Regarding DDOS attacks, how does POW compare to DPOS in regards to resiliency to attacks ?
50:05 What role are the delegates who are not in top 101 and can be they be analyzed as easily ?
51:03 It is likely Bitcoin will switch to DPOS and what effect would it have on Bitshares ?
53:20 The market overview page in the GUI, are there plans to make it nicer looking ?
55:10 Post show starts. Talk of Cob from Music DAC will be coming next week. Talk of his his new non-technical whitepaper and how impressive it is. bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9360.0
An open discussion largely about Music DAC. A viewer thinks the possibility might be larger than Bitshares X?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:02:02 pm by gamey »

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I haven't done any annotations yet.  Was too much to do in one pass since I wasn't around to listen to it live.

Weekday showing up in the office bump.

Offline Riverhead

Let's explore for a bit. Let's just say a new product comes out that people move to. So everyone starts selling their BTSX and at some point there are just no buyers willing to move from BTC to BTSX. Then holders of BitUSD are screwed, are they not?

Any interesting question. Most of the bitUSD would get destroyed as covers were forced using the collateral backing them. However what would happen if I had 50 bitUSD in my wallet and was out backpacking in the mountains for a month when the BTSX crash happens. The market couldn't cover those 50 bitUSD and the existing collateral backing them is way too little.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:44:08 pm by Riverhead »

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
I wish there was less background noise and random laughter while bytemaster speaks.
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I'm listening... BM says that NBT is a ponzi and relies on bagholders. However, isn't that true for BitUSD as well?

Let's explore for a bit. Let's just say a new product comes out that people move to. So everyone starts selling their BTSX and at some point there are just no buyers willing to move from BTC to BTSX. Then holders of BitUSD are screwed, are they not?

I understand that this is may be a highly unlikely scenario, but the bottom line is that there is nothing to ensure BitUSD can be converted to BTC or USD. In other words, if there is a run on the "decentralized bank" it can still collapse, there are no guarantees. Be it NuBits, BTSX or whatever.

Offline johncitizen

• View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile

23:40 Does Nubits hyper inflation after Nushare price ?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:26:08 pm by gamey »