Author Topic: Need help importing from encrypted Android wallet backup [SOLVED]  (Read 12948 times)

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile
That is some great persistence! Congratulations :).

Perhaps the issue you're facing is that the private key was for your Android wallet and not the Multibit wallet (though I am not familiar with this wallet). Were you able to get your Andriod private key into WIF?

Lol thank you. I imported the android wallet into multibit, then used multibit to export the private key (still linking to the original android wallet) so the key should be correct, and I imported it in WIF format. The bitshares wallet scanned transactions, but I didnt see any funds/assest added to my account. Not really sure where to go from here. Technically, im not even sure what to look for after the key is imported (do i get assests from DACs? Do i get btsx?) I donated to the AGS fund.

Did you donate before the Feb 28th snapshot ?  If you donated to AGS later then you won't receive anything from your import in BTSX.  (However, that isn't the case for DACs with later snapshots)

There's the explanation I was looking for, thank you. Not sure how I missed this information after reading pages of info about ags... :o

Will I recieve my AGS in the form of btsx or assests?

You will receive neither.  You will receive stakes in all the snapshots taken after that.  That includes KeyID/DNS DAC which will be the next one released in the next days or weeks at maximum.  Bitshares X is a protodac and all future versions will just be snapshots of itself. 

AGS are not something you have in a wallet.  You have the keys to unlock stakes in genesis blocks of future DACs.  AGS will never be liquid or tradeable.  If you donated with protoshares then there is a command you can run on the console to count your AGS.  I am not sure about btc AGS determination.

Sounds good, I'll be looking out for the next snapshot. I appreciate the clarification on AGS!

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Perhaps the issue you're facing is that the private key was for your Android wallet and not the Multibit wallet (though I am not familiar with this wallet). Were you able to get your Andriod private key into WIF?

Lol thank you. I imported the android wallet into multibit, then used multibit to export the private key (still linking to the original android wallet) so the key should be correct, and I imported it in WIF format. The bitshares wallet scanned transactions, but I didnt see any funds/assest added to my account. Not really sure where to go from here. Technically, im not even sure what to look for after the key is imported (do i get assests from DACs? Do i get btsx?) I donated to the AGS fund.

Did you donate before the Feb 28th snapshot ?  If you donated to AGS later then you won't receive anything from your import in BTSX.  (However, that isn't the case for DACs with later snapshots)

There's the explanation I was looking for, thank you. Not sure how I missed this information after reading pages of info about ags... :o

You will receive neither.  You will receive stakes in all the snapshots taken after that.  That includes KeyID/DNS DAC which will be the next one released in the next days or weeks at maximum.  Bitshares X is a protodac and all future versions will just be snapshots of itself. 

AGS are not something you have in a wallet.  You have the keys to unlock stakes in genesis blocks of future DACs.  AGS will never be liquid or tradeable.  If you donated with protoshares then there is a command you can run on the console to count your AGS.  I am not sure about btc AGS determination.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile

Offline Riverhead

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile
OK so after about a month of messing around with this, I've finally managed to get my android walled into multibit, then into bitshares x wallet.  The bitshares x wallet says that my wallet was successfully imported, but nothing shows up in my account.

I'm sure one day I'll have this figured out.  :) 

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile
Did your travels take you here?

http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack/2011/12/28/how-to-recover-lost-bitcoins-from-an-android-wallet/

Problems like this really interest me so I'll be as much help as you're comfortable with. I don't care about the money, it's the puzzle :) .

Yup. Went to that page a few times. Looks like the android app (Andreas version) switched the way it formats wallets, after that article was written. But looking at the other section of that article it says:

The Armstrong key is more complex, it is stored as a serialized ECKey. To get the private key out of it I had to use the BitCoinJ library (version 0.2) and make use of the DumpWallet.java file.  Poking around with an IDE and debugger lead me to the private key that looked a bit like this...

So thats where I'm at now.  :D

Offline Riverhead

Did your travels take you here?

http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack/2011/12/28/how-to-recover-lost-bitcoins-from-an-android-wallet/

Problems like this really interest me so I'll be as much help as you're comfortable with. I don't care about the money, it's the puzzle :) .
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:21:08 am by Riverhead »

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies.

After re-reading the above stack overflow link many times, even before you linked it to me, I finally realized where I'm at in the process.

Looks like im stuck with a bitcoinj formatted wallet that requres a java app to dump the wallet info (private keys). Any ideas? 

Never again will I use a mobile wallet where I'll need the private key. I'm hoping to help others who may be in the same boat...my google-fu always brings me back to "openssl decrypt the wallet and your good to go" when that is not the case here. Looks like the last step in this puzzle is to use java dumpwallet command, I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. Thanks againg for pointing me in the right direction.

:o

Offline Riverhead

UPDATE: More useful: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/17176/how-to-decode-private-key-from-android-bitcoin-wallet The private key you're looking for is in WIF format.

You can import your private keys exported from your Android bitcoin wallet. If they associate with BTSX from your AGS donation you're all set. Never the less post up your BTSX public key and we can send you enough to register an account.

The Android wallet uses OpenSSL to encrypt the keys (like other wallets). It can be decrypted with OpenSSL as well. This thread may not solve your problem but it'll be a step in the right direction.

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/29586/how-do-i-extract-my-private-keys-from-a-protobuf-wallet

If you are still truly stuck PM me and I'll see if I can dig out your private keys. Yes, this requires an insane amount of trust but if you're hosed anyway I figure it's not much of a risk.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:03:54 am by Riverhead »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
/bump

I've managed to decrypt my android wallet backup file, but it doesn't seem to import anything into bitshares-x.  Anyone have any ideas?  :-X

What do you mean by ' it doesn't seem to import anything into bitshares-x.'?
If you clarify this someone might be able to help. (this is above my pay grade, but there are a lot of knowledgably people here ready to help)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile
/bump

I've managed to decrypt my android wallet backup file, but it doesn't seem to import anything into bitshares-x.  Anyone have any ideas?  :-X

Offline bsxnewb

• View Profile
Hey all!

This has been quite the challenge to claim my stakes, I wish I sent my AGS donation through a desktop wallet.

I sent my AGS donation through the "official" Android wallet (the one by Andreas S.)  When I back up the bitcoin wallet, I had to enter a password. From this point I'm not sure what to do to claim my AGS shares in the BitsharesX wallet.  Second question: when I create an account in the BitsharesX wallet, do I need to register the account before I import the bitcoin wallet, or can I safely import the bitcoin wallet to claim my shares with the account unregistered?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:02:16 am by bsxnewb »