Author Topic: BitUSD on OpenBazaar would show the VALUE of a non-volatile crypto.  (Read 13358 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
It's not worth trying to make multisig work at present. Multisig usability is very important and it getting it right will be part of our thin client / power wallet rearchitecture.

OB has a ton of hype and variety of users from every major crypto out their. BitUSD and OB is like peanut butter and jelly, there could be no better match. Not having multisig would be a deal breaker for OB integration.

If it is a matter of you and the team being to busy to complete the task I completely understand. Would crowd funding not be a option to have another party complete the task as a bounty?   

Offline oldman

• View Profile
No not imo. I like the general strategy here & I see the value of pegged assets for that market but there's also significant negative mainstream PR & other blowback risk - Think public perception of Bitcoin & Silk Road + other outcomes. However BitAssets are out in the wild so nothing to stop other people using and integrating them.

I see your point but lets not forget the entire Bitcoin community is behind OpenBazaar. For the time being, it doesn't have a negative stigma; quite the opposite actually. All I3 has to do is make it easy for BitUSD to be integrated into an OB merchant node. That means improving multisig and eliminating any other obstacles that may get in the way. Once that's out of the way...

a) We crowdfund the necessary development.

OR

b) An I3 dev anonymously commits the code on GitHub.

We can actually avoid all negative backlash if we frame this as "BitUSD allows OpenBazaar to attract non-drug users because they're the only people willing to put up with Bitcoins volatility". And it's true. OpenBazaar needs our product (or our competitors) if they want mainstream adoption and we need a solid showcase if WE want mainstream adoption. The good vastly outweighs the bad.

There it is.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
No not imo. I like the general strategy here & I see the value of pegged assets for that market but there's also significant negative mainstream PR & other blowback risk - Think public perception of Bitcoin & Silk Road + other outcomes. However BitAssets are out in the wild so nothing to stop other people using and integrating them.

I see your point but lets not forget the entire Bitcoin community is behind OpenBazaar. For the time being, it doesn't have a negative stigma; quite the opposite actually. All I3 has to do is make it easy for BitUSD to be integrated into an OB merchant node. That means improving multisig and eliminating any other obstacles that may get in the way. Once that's out of the way...

We can actually avoid all negative backlash if we frame this as "BitUSD allows OpenBazaar to attract non-drug users because they're the only people willing to put up with Bitcoins volatility". And it's true. OpenBazaar needs our product (or our competitors) if they want mainstream adoption and we need a solid showcase if WE want mainstream adoption. The good vastly outweighs the bad.

+5% Great approach, makes sense from both a functional and business approach to a mainstream consumer.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

OR

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:22:47 pm by MeTHoDx »

Offline James212

• View Profile
MeTHoDx, I think you are on to something here.  This sounds like a great idea.  We should try to partner with OB as tightly as possible.....maybe even use the leverage of our still undisclosed debit card partners.  whatever we do, I think we should shoot for exclusivity and joint promotion.  bitUSD is the only currency that really does the job properly for OB.  All the other currencies, with their wild volatility, are just more noise that will negatively impact their user experience.  Especially since those users are expected to be the general public (on-crypo types).

Volitiliy is front and center in everyones mind now since the wild ride in BTC this weekend, so now is the time to strike!  8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:18:46 pm by James212 »
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
We have an OpenBazaar developer response:

The beauty of OpenBazaar and it being open, is that you don't really need our consideration to do this, you can start working on it yourself or rally troops to help you with this great idea.

like it was said before, we're still getting things to a beta stage. Ideally the tools needed to work with BitUSD would be so similar to BTC that it'd be a matter of just replacing the blockchain checks for another one depending on the currency specified in the transaction.

It is certainly a possibility and the idea sounds really attractive as a way to get rid of the volatility issue. I've not read a single line about it yet, thanks for bringing it up. Didn't know about BitUSD.

sounds great

Great job

Retaining a dev outside of I3 will be terribly inefficient and costly.

OB and Bitshares are very early in the development cycle and both are going to need ongoing support for a very long time (years).

The only way to do this properly is for I3 to form a strategic partnership with OB.

OB is to commerce what Bitshares is to finance.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:35:57 am by Empirical1.1 »

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Shall we get a fundraiser started?  How much should we aim for?

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
=============

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
"Open Bazaar partners with Bitshares to bring stability to crypto-commerce".

Be a great headline...

+5%

This would be a major step forward as well as adding additional credibility within the Bitcoin ecosystem.
=============

Offline oldman

• View Profile
"Open Bazaar partners with Bitshares to bring stability to crypto-commerce".

Be a great headline...

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
great …  +5% as old man said before ...and yes the seed it planted  :)

Good idea MeTHoDx

Chapeau 

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:15:21 am by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bitsapphire

Retaining a dev outside of I3 will be terribly inefficient and costly.

OB and Bitshares are very early in the development cycle and both are going to need ongoing support for a very long time (years).

The only way to do this properly is for I3 to form a strategic partnership with OB.

OB is to commerce what Bitshares is to finance.

I3/OB partnership would most likely be best.

Getting developers up to speed with the Bitshares toolkit is not too easy, as it's pretty different from what most other developers do in their day jobs. Furthermore getting acquainted with the Bitshares toolkit is an investment for most. For most developers who are not already passionate about this tech they will look at learning other blockchain tech first as chances for investment and/or job positions are greater. Hence, partnership or community investment might be the only options.
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
It's not worth trying to make multisig work at present. Multisig usability is very important and it getting it right will be part of our thin client / power wallet rearchitecture.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.