Author Topic: Is the marketing execution in English happening?  (Read 11913 times)

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
Just saw this thread.  Here is a screenshot of one of the major releases:

Not bad for one release.  We saw a pretty big bump in traffic and volume around then as well.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
It's crazy how so many people here have no patience at all. If you believe in the superiority of bitshares technology, why the hell are you losing your mind over nubits or overstock ? They won't reach billions overnight.

The marketing plan sketched in the dev hangout seems brilliant. We've been told countless times that we need to wait for 1.0 + direct buy from USD.

No one knows if critical mass will go to the best technology, or simply the first okay technology that doesn't fuck up. Network effect, baby. One of the sad things we will see is probably that nubits will be implemented and gain widespread use on OB before bitUSD. OB airdrop and marketing is something that has to be done within a certain time to ensure bitUSD becomes widely used there, IMO, since decentralized trustless trade is really where a decentralized peg is the most useful, and OB looks as if it will be "it" regarding decentralized trade.

This.

Offline yellowecho

FJ you seem to forget a lot of aspects of your success.  Here is a major potential competitor http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/banxshares/ .

Sorry but that's not a 'major potential competitor'.  I highly encourage you to actually read their overview papers because Banx is a centralized company offering centralized services.  They started a PoW coin for an IPO and immediately stopped and switched to some sort of PoS system though it's difficult to find much (if any) information about the security model... but then again, I don't know if it even matters because it's about as safe as sending your money to a complete stranger.  Plus, their business is almost entirely Bitcoin-centric offering stuff like Bitcoin mining contracts and their developer has only been around cryptos for a year.  Besides the blatant similarities in the name, Banx and BitSharesX have almost nothing in common.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
OMG my $2000 investment hasnt turned me into a millionaire yet and its already been 2 months!!! We gotta change everything now. Screw dpos we gotta go to pow cuz I read an article once about how good pow is.  And jesus, overstock just went with counter party. Ahhh the world is ending and bit shares is doomed. Fire management and get a new marketing team now!

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and relax... Rome wasn't built in a day

FJ you seem to forget a lot of aspects of your success.  Here is a major potential competitor http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/banxshares/ .  Cudos for adding to your wealth, at least trying.  A smart man like yourself would not put all his eggs in one basket.

Also why dont you set up a team, with your prowess.  Or am I talking to smoke and mirrors.  I would nominate you and get some influential people too, or sidelines to the lazy chair you go?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:54:50 pm by eagleeye »

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
And it seems to me that in the cryptoworld, people are very ready to change : the network effect is clearly not the same as for IRL objects. You can't change your samsung into an Iphone, so once you bought it, you're fucked. It's not the same at all for cryptos. People have no reason to be faithful.

I think you are underestimating the extent to which people treat their choice of crypto as a religion.   For most bitcoiners, bitcoin is the way, the truth, and the light, and everything else is a shitcoin scam. 

Network effect and being first matters.

For this reason, I think the bitshares marketing plan to market to and onboard new people who ARENT currently interested in any crypto is an excellent one!  If they can successfully get a lot of new people who currently know nothing about crypto to look at and use bitUSD and buy BTSX, then we will be in great shape!

As far as I have seen, and I'm not into the cryptoworld from long so I've not seen much, the ONLY thing that matters is "marketcap going up". For this, bitcoin is more or less screwed, and even the integrists will finally flock if BTSX is on a steady up.

A bug-free and user friendly GUI is what we need now, and well targeted marketing to convince bitcoin agnostics is what is planed. And it's not true that the dev team promises riskless benefits... we've been warned enough times that many things may screw up. What seems true and what is promised is that BTSX/DPOS is the superior technology, and it cannot lose on the long term against POW, because money.

For the moment, IMO the bad atmosphere here doesn't help, it might scare new users that would see those conversations.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline James212

• View Profile
Network effect doesn't happen in days. It happens in months or even years, and the bitshares marketing plan will happen in this timeframe.

And it seems to me that in the cryptoworld, people are very ready to change : the network effect is clearly not the same as for IRL objects. You can't change your samsung into an Iphone, so once you bought it, you're fucked. It's not the same at all for cryptos. People have no reason to be faithful. Owning bitcoins is clearly not as engaging as owning shares : you can transfer all your bitcoins into bitshares overnight, and you will have no awkward social interaction with a banker that will claim he has always been asking for your best interest.

Money flow free in the new world that is built here, and I bet that it will pour to the best solution.

The best solution without a network is no solution at all.  Things may be fluid now, but in time they will begin to jell and the market will care more about familarity and popularity regardless of  superiority of the tech.  This is much as the internet protocols did 20 years ago. 

Some subscribe to the theory that we will have many multiple crypto currencies/ assets surviving in the market when this is all said and done.  I don't subscribe to this theory.  It may have been the case if this was 200 years ago, but today the interconnectedness of the world and the rapid speed of interaction demands minimum friction.  That to me means only a handful of cryptos will be significant players in the end.  That said, I would also note that CoinMarketCap ,today, is not showing us a full list of all the entities that we will evenually need to compete against.  There are future competitors waiting in the wings that will come forth as this industry proves itself.  At some point I am expecting to see some world- class companies (even governments) in this space.   

So, I don't think we are asking to rush and do a bad job.  That will do know one any good.  We understand that they need time to do it right.  We are just communicating the critical fact that time is of the essence and based on their feedback I think the Bitshares team concurs
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:27:20 am by James212 »
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
There are some great ideas in this thread!

On the marketing end I can reveal a little of what we have been up to.... it's important to note, in order to see the biggest growth in BitSharesX user base, and market cap, is to successfully bring in hundreds of thousands of new investors who have not yet made the leap to any crypto-currencies, Bitcoin included. For the non-technical, even Bitcoin is still difficult to purchase. Which remains a huge barrier to entry to getting newbies into the wonderful world of crypto, even when they already want to.

Solving this issue means hurdling some pretty large technical and communication issues. Which we've done and it's being built now. Tying the launch of this campaign to an event or BitSharesX announcement is a great idea, but (1) we're more interested in the larger pool of people currently OUTSIDE the crypto world and (2) we will most likely launch this as soon as we possibly can.
+5% ..
Could you clarify your relations to bitsharesX and the team? are you with Brian?

From this month's newsletter:

Western Business Development and Marketing – by Brian Page

The Western Hemisphere business development and marketing team (Brian, Max, Michael, Susan, Julian and Gregory) has been in talks with a half dozen companies that offer fiat to crypto-currency services.  Once a partnership is finalized, customers will have the ability to go from USD to BTSX as well as USD to bitUSD, directly.  This new service will allow anyone to purchase using a debit card, credit card or wire transfer. There will no longer be any need to own any Bitcoin, go to an exchange, or jump through hoops.  Getting involved in BitShares will be as simple as any other online purchase.

In addition, the marketing team is working to set up sms payments technology. Users will be able to buy BTSX or bitUSD directly from their cell phone, billed to their mobile provider.  This new "on ramp" will completely bypass needing to go through Bitcoin and will greatly simplify what is today a complicated process of acquiring BTSX/bitUSD.

Marketing is also working along with our resident designer, Cass, to redesign the BitSharesX user interface.   The goal is a more user friendly GUI which will make BitSharesX more intuitive for the average person [or even marketers].  When complete, the GUI will be more in line with leading online stock trading software programs.  Our benchmark is no longer a "wallet" but the leading financial software of more traditional companies.

Stan, can you verify your newsletter mailing list.  I have received all previous news letters, but did not receive this current one.  I see there are also others in my situation.  Thanks.

We have poor Cass's work queue completely packed and the newsletter is sitting in there awaiting his magic touch.

He expects to get to it tomorrow - It will probably turn into a Special Sep-Oct Collectors' Edition.

Meanwhile, the crude draft has been posted for those who don't mind unpolished text and graphics.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9385.msg126039#msg126039
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline James212

• View Profile
It's crazy how so many people here have no patience at all. If you believe in the superiority of bitshares technology, why the hell are you losing your mind over nubits or overstock ? They won't reach billions overnight.

The marketing plan sketched in the dev hangout seems brilliant. We've been told countless times that we need to wait for 1.0 + direct buy from USD.

No one knows if critical mass will go to the best technology, or simply the first okay technology that doesn't fuck up. Network effect, baby. One of the sad things we will see is probably that nubits will be implemented and gain widespread use on OB before bitUSD. OB airdrop and marketing is something that has to be done within a certain time to ensure bitUSD becomes widely used there, IMO, since decentralized trustless trade is really where a decentralized peg is the most useful, and OB looks as if it will be "it" regarding decentralized trade.

+5% +5%

Offline James212

• View Profile
There are some great ideas in this thread!

On the marketing end I can reveal a little of what we have been up to.... it's important to note, in order to see the biggest growth in BitSharesX user base, and market cap, is to successfully bring in hundreds of thousands of new investors who have not yet made the leap to any crypto-currencies, Bitcoin included. For the non-technical, even Bitcoin is still difficult to purchase. Which remains a huge barrier to entry to getting newbies into the wonderful world of crypto, even when they already want to.

Solving this issue means hurdling some pretty large technical and communication issues. Which we've done and it's being built now. Tying the launch of this campaign to an event or BitSharesX announcement is a great idea, but (1) we're more interested in the larger pool of people currently OUTSIDE the crypto world and (2) we will most likely launch this as soon as we possibly can.
+5% ..
Could you clarify your relations to bitsharesX and the team? are you with Brian?

From this month's newsletter:

Western Business Development and Marketing – by Brian Page

The Western Hemisphere business development and marketing team (Brian, Max, Michael, Susan, Julian and Gregory) has been in talks with a half dozen companies that offer fiat to crypto-currency services.  Once a partnership is finalized, customers will have the ability to go from USD to BTSX as well as USD to bitUSD, directly.  This new service will allow anyone to purchase using a debit card, credit card or wire transfer. There will no longer be any need to own any Bitcoin, go to an exchange, or jump through hoops.  Getting involved in BitShares will be as simple as any other online purchase.

In addition, the marketing team is working to set up sms payments technology. Users will be able to buy BTSX or bitUSD directly from their cell phone, billed to their mobile provider.  This new "on ramp" will completely bypass needing to go through Bitcoin and will greatly simplify what is today a complicated process of acquiring BTSX/bitUSD.

Marketing is also working along with our resident designer, Cass, to redesign the BitSharesX user interface.   The goal is a more user friendly GUI which will make BitSharesX more intuitive for the average person [or even marketers].  When complete, the GUI will be more in line with leading online stock trading software programs.  Our benchmark is no longer a "wallet" but the leading financial software of more traditional companies.

Stan, can you verify your newsletter mailing list.  I have received all previous news letters, but did not receive this current one.  I see there are also others in my situation.  Thanks.

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
OMG my $2000 investment hasnt turned me into a millionaire yet and its already been 2 months!!! We gotta change everything now. Screw dpos we gotta go to pow cuz I read an article once about how good pow is.  And jesus, overstock just went with counter party. Ahhh the world is ending and bit shares is doomed. Fire management and get a new marketing team now!

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and relax... Rome wasn't built in a day
  +5% +5% +5%

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:20:14 am by lil_jay890 »

Offline xfund

• View Profile
    • FUND投票基金
  • BitShares: xfund
Asset:FUND

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Can we get an update for the bitsapphire web wallet?  That is very significant for a lot of users.

I think cass's updated wallet design is what you're really waiting for. I have a suspicion bitsapphire won't deliver for a while.

Do you have any more info you'd be willing to share? Is it just an update of the QT client or something new altogether?

I am pretty sure it is supposed to be a mobile phone wallet or a web-wallet...not sure which, but I know they are focusing hard on the mobile aspect of this tech.

Imho this should be #1 priority and will market bitUSD and bitASssets for us.

+5% +5% +5% Totally agree. BitAsset specific mobile wallet app.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
My biggest wish right now is that the non-contributing community will find something to do. We need to find a way to leverage every single member of the community into ensuring the success of our blockchain.

Yes.

Referral program! 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Network effect doesn't happen in days. It happens in months or even years, and the bitshares marketing plan will happen in this timeframe.

And it seems to me that in the cryptoworld, people are very ready to change : the network effect is clearly not the same as for IRL objects. You can't change your samsung into an Iphone, so once you bought it, you're fucked. It's not the same at all for cryptos. People have no reason to be faithful. Owning bitcoins is clearly not as engaging as owning shares : you can transfer all your bitcoins into bitshares overnight, and you will have no awkward social interaction with a banker that will claim he has always been asking for your best interest.

Money flow free in the new world that is built here, and I bet that it will pour to the best solution.

While I don't fully disagree with you, the thing about the barrier-free and fast paced nature of these new systems we are building are also that they have the capability to achieve decentralized consensus on basically anything. Combine this with the necessity for open source and you have terrible hypothetical scenarios such as XCP switching over to DPOS and implementing market pegged assets, or nubits being integrated into peercoin as a market pegged asset.

Just like it is important to not rush anything and especially not rush out an unfinished product, it is also important to realize that we most definitely do not have all the time in the world, and that the crypto space moves insanely fast at an ever increasing rate.

I get slightly nervous when I see core team members express that investing in bitshares is completely risk free with massive guaranteed returns, which is obviously not the case, or dismiss the most dangerous competitors nubits and xcp (only acknowledging NXT as a real competitor). At the same time I also automatically trust the people who came up with DPOS - it is proof they are currently the smartest people in the space - I just think its important to stay alert and prepared at all times.

My biggest wish right now is that the non-contributing community will find something to do. We need to find a way to leverage every single member of the community into ensuring the success of our blockchain.