Author Topic: My bitsharesx educational video... please upvote  (Read 6285 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
hehe .. if Dan had 'insta-mined' as much BTSX as satoshi has BTC I am pretty sure noone would care about BTSX ... :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
The mystery of Satoshi is truly the greatest marketing tool for bitcoin.  It captures our imagination.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Rune

• View Profile
bitmarket,

I've got a great topic I think you should cover for your next video.  I came up with this idea this morning and was thinking of writing an article, but I think with your presence and reach, you could turn this into a better video that something I could come up with.

The article / video would be titled 'Is this why an altcoin will never conquer bitcoin?' and it would be about the legend of Satoshi himself.  Its my belief that had Satoshi not been anonymous, and was named Tom Anderson, or Gavin, or whatever, people would not be so blind to recognize Bitcoin's ultimate structural flaws.  I think that the lore of Satoshi really caters to peoples desires of believing in higher powers, superheroes, and good guys in the shadows fighting against the powers that be for the benefit of all mankind, the direct evidence being the billions of dollars being spent in Hollywood on superhero movies.  The community gets very upset whenever some attention seeking individual attempts to unmask him.

I also want to add in this point - do you remember the hacker who hacked Satoshis account and threatened to reveal his identity if the world paid him enough bitcoin?  If that hacker was really that smart, what he SHOULD have done was to buy up as much of a particular coin as possible, then impersonate Satoshi with an 'official' endorsement of said coin. Unless this hacker was broke from the start, he could have cleaned up on such an announcement - instead, he made the hack about himself rather than the money.  Then you can talk about Satoshi vanishing back into the shadows, and speculate if the Bitcoin of today is exactly as he wanted or if he is flexible enough to incorporate new ideas.  Further speculate the belief that this mythological status of Satoshi is why some can't see that just because a brilliant invention opened so many doorways, that everything that's associated with it is the pinnacle of perfection.  To some, its like finding out (SPOILER ALERT) Santa isn't real.

I think a video like this would be very controversial and would draw in a lot of viewers. Its probably not even necessary to mention BitShares.

EDIT: People don't want to know who Satoshi is because they don't want to be let down.

This is so true, the myth of Satoshi is everything, and is a big reason why people are so religious with bitcoin. Funny thing is, Satoshi was involved in the creation of the very first altcoin, namecoin! Satoshi is probably the last person in the world who gives a damn about what particular brand of currency ends up making it, as long as humanity becomes free of financial bonds.

I think many people are so religiously loyal to bitcoin because they feel that it would truly honor satoshi if his original blockchain ends up becoming "it". I, too, think it would be absolutely amazing if it could be pulled off, and is why I still have a tiny amount of hope that bitcoin could hard fork to adopt DPOS before its too late, even if I would gain more profit by bitshares or another 2.0 crushing bitcoin.

Anyway, I think the key is to emphasize that newer coins, in the end, all are bitcoin forks. They're all based, in some way, on satoshis original code, and they're definitely all based on Satoshis truly groundbreaking invention and the essence of his genius: the blockchain. As long as the blockchain makes it in a way that is fair and open, we will have honored Satoshi, and preserving bitcoin with PoW would actually be worse for this since it is more vulnerable to attack or capture by malicious authorities.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
bitmarket,

I've got a great topic I think you should cover for your next video.  I came up with this idea this morning and was thinking of writing an article, but I think with your presence and reach, you could turn this into a better video that something I could come up with.

The article / video would be titled 'Is this why an altcoin will never conquer bitcoin?' and it would be about the legend of Satoshi himself.  Its my belief that had Satoshi not been anonymous, and was named Tom Anderson, or Gavin, or whatever, people would not be so blind to recognize Bitcoin's ultimate structural flaws.  I think that the lore of Satoshi really caters to peoples desires of believing in higher powers, superheroes, and good guys in the shadows fighting against the powers that be for the benefit of all mankind, the direct evidence being the billions of dollars being spent in Hollywood on superhero movies.  The community gets very upset whenever some attention seeking individual attempts to unmask him.

I also want to add in this point - do you remember the hacker who hacked Satoshis account and threatened to reveal his identity if the world paid him enough bitcoin?  If that hacker was really that smart, what he SHOULD have done was to buy up as much of a particular coin as possible, then impersonate Satoshi with an 'official' endorsement of said coin. Unless this hacker was broke from the start, he could have cleaned up on such an announcement - instead, he made the hack about himself rather than the money.  Then you can talk about Satoshi vanishing back into the shadows, and speculate if the Bitcoin of today is exactly as he wanted or if he is flexible enough to incorporate new ideas.  Further speculate the belief that this mythological status of Satoshi is why some can't see that just because a brilliant invention opened so many doorways, that everything that's associated with it is the pinnacle of perfection.  To some, its like finding out (SPOILER ALERT) Santa isn't real.

I think a video like this would be very controversial and would draw in a lot of viewers. Its probably not even necessary to mention BitShares.

EDIT: People don't want to know who Satoshi is because they don't want to be let down.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:41:59 pm by sschechter »
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Bummer.... That was a shit ton of work for 250 views.

I think 2 reasons.

1.  I appealed to the hive mind a touch too much.   I will be slightly more controversial next time.
2. The hedge topic was not as high on peoples priorities as I thought.

If I could ask a favor though.  As a plan B for the next time I fuck up(and there will be more) if people could maintain a reddit account and vote on shit from time to time (to keep your account in good order), so we can guarantee vids promoting btsx get front paged that would be tremendously helpful.   The difference between front page reddit and not is about 10,000 views.   We got 17 upvotes and it takes 20-25 to go front page.... so close and yet so far.

Your video last video (i think) about DPOS made me invest considerably into bitshares (and unfortunately instantly lose a staggering amount of money due to this recent downturn :P). You should definitely keep it up.

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
The video is fantastic! ;)

One large risk that was not addressed is the "What if the US decides to pull the plug one all gateways to purchase Bitcoin"?

This is a real risk that could harm BitUSD if the news made the price of BTSX fall more than 50 percent in an hour. :(

I believe that only 17 likes ... shows you that the marketing of BTSX has some opportunity here to focus its efforts in the Reddit forum.

Certainly we could start a new thread and begin to compel BTSX followers to become proactive.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
Just gave the video like 12 likes haha. Hope it helps.

Offline Riverhead

Sorry to hear Max. Hopefully your next hit (and there will be more) will have people listening to your previous shows.

I admit I never watched them until I watched one and was so impressed I went back and watched some older ones.

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV
Bummer.... That was a shit ton of work for 250 views.

I think 2 reasons.

1.  I appealed to the hive mind a touch too much.   I will be slightly more controversial next time.
2. The hedge topic was not as high on peoples priorities as I thought.

If I could ask a favor though.  As a plan B for the next time I fuck up(and there will be more) if people could maintain a reddit account and vote on shit from time to time (to keep your account in good order), so we can guarantee vids promoting btsx get front paged that would be tremendously helpful.   The difference between front page reddit and not is about 10,000 views.   We got 17 upvotes and it takes 20-25 to go front page.... so close and yet so far.
Host of BitShares.TV and Author of BitShares 101

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
We all ought to keep videos like this in our quick-draw ammo locker.

Pasting a link to such a video into a FUDslinger suppression post gives instant gravitas to your response, IMHO.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Riverhead

crossposted to https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9174.msg127612#msg127612

Most efficient way in general to get things viral and use the man power of this forum: If everyone subscribes to this thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9174.0;all (by clicking notify at the top) you get an email when something new is posted there and we soon have a reddit upvoting army with only little effort on everyone's part.

Reddit has bots that detect this sort of behaviour and will auto downvote. So... this method may not be as effective as we think.

Interesting. Perhaps copy/paste the links into a new browser so reddit doesn't see 80% of the up-votes have a referrer page of bitsharestalk.org.

I think they cluster users. If their algorithm sees 80% of upvotes coming from the same accounts, they're downvoted.
from the same accounts? Isnt it one vote per account max?
He means same group of accounts tend to always up vote as a block.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
crossposted to https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9174.msg127612#msg127612

Most efficient way in general to get things viral and use the man power of this forum: If everyone subscribes to this thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9174.0;all (by clicking notify at the top) you get an email when something new is posted there and we soon have a reddit upvoting army with only little effort on everyone's part.

Reddit has bots that detect this sort of behaviour and will auto downvote. So... this method may not be as effective as we think.

Interesting. Perhaps copy/paste the links into a new browser so reddit doesn't see 80% of the up-votes have a referrer page of bitsharestalk.org.

I think they cluster users. If their algorithm sees 80% of upvotes coming from the same accounts, they're downvoted.
from the same accounts? Isnt it one vote per account max?

Offline yellowecho

Another excellent video- great job!
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline Riverhead

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Thom

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline James212

• View Profile
 +5%    Bravo. well done!

I vote Max Wright as our very own Andreas Antonopolus  :)  We need to see more of him..!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:13:46 pm by James212 »
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Riverhead

You said: The Incumbent system wants to own all the wealth and license its use to the public. Crypto wants the public to own their own wealth.

That's a fantastic way of describing our current system!

Thank you  :) . I also fixed my typo (its vs it's).

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Thanks guys.   We need some more reddit upvotes if anyone has not yet voted.  Getting to 25 upvotes is the difference between front page and not.  That is the difference between 10,000 views like my last video and 1,000 views.

Click here http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/charts and scroll down to total number of accounts.  Unless there was some parrallel marketing event that I was unaware of that bump in new accounts on the 18th of September was a result of my previous video getting on the front page of reddit.

So click here and up vote on reddit if you have not already.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2inqi5/what_are_the_best_ways_to_hedge_bitcoin/

If you do not have a reddit account, get one.  We will need your votes for all future videos as well.

Really like this approach.  You start out explaining a problem, some different solutions and the obviously superior features of the BitShares solution follows naturally from the discussion.

Up voted on Reddit.

You are an asset to the community.  I joined Reddit for this type of purpose, and I kind of like it.  Its fun battling FUD spewing trolls.  If someone is reading this and you haven't signed up for Reddit yet, its super fast and simple and the upvotes really help.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Voted and commented. I'm hoping my comment will help people open their eyes to the larger issues at play instead of being focused on BTC vs Others.

It's all well and good to have conferences discussing the future uses and integration of BTC (as I type this from Inside Bitcoin  :P ) but someone has to tell the people on the train that the bridge is out. That person was Bytemaster in a bitter pill keynote address. I'm excited for the high quality video to be released.

You said: The Incumbent system wants to own all the wealth and license it's use to the public. Crypto wants the public to own their own wealth.

That's a fantastic way of describing our current system!

Offline Riverhead

Thanks guys.   We need some more reddit upvotes if anyone has not yet voted.  Getting to 25 upvotes is the difference between front page and not.  That is the difference between 10,000 views like my last video and 1,000 views.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2inqi5/what_are_the_best_ways_to_hedge_bitcoin/

Voted and commented. I'm hoping my comment will help people open their eyes to the larger issues at play instead of being focused on BTC vs Others.

It's all well and good to have conferences discussing the future uses and integration of BTC (as I type this from Inside Bitcoin  :P ) but someone has to tell the people on the train that the bridge is out. That person was Bytemaster in a bitter pill keynote address. I'm excited for the high quality video to be released.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:44:58 pm by Riverhead »

Offline GaltReport

Click here http://www.bitsharesblocks.com/charts and scroll down to total number of accounts.  Unless there was some parrallel marketing event that I was unaware of that bump in new accounts on the 18th of September was a result of my previous video getting on the front page of reddit.

If you do not have a reddit account, get one.  We will need your votes for all future videos as well.

Really like this approach.  You start out explaining a problem, some different solutions and the obviously superior features of the BitShares solution follows naturally from the discussion.

Up voted on Reddit.

Offline BldSwtTrs

• View Profile

You just convince me to create a Reddit account for the occasion. You are really good at convincing people ;)

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cusknee

Offline GaltReport

Nice! I will post this on my site as well. This is a very good angle.  Hedging your BitCoin investment.  What owner of BitCoin doesn't think about that?

+5%

Offline Riverhead

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=816108.new#new

I can't post on the bitcointalk forum but I wonder what rate of return Elwar is getting from his mattress. Actually, no, I don't want to know  :o .

Offline taughtus

• View Profile
Great work and many thanks!

Can send this around to all my doubting thomas friends!

+5%

Offline Riverhead

Minor comment: You mentioned that BTSX has stayed stable around the 3 cents mark and has not seen the same volatility of BTC because it is not competing with it in the "cryptocurrency" space. I think the reason is more likely to do with 75% of BTSX trading being done in CNY as opposed to BTC.

Check this out: http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitshares-x/#markets

It could be argued that the reason the price has held steady is that it is competing in the exact same space on a different channel. Most of the BTC market is BTC/USD or BTC/CNY. BitSharesX is BTSX/CNY. Same game, different pair. Those deep into that pair trading aren't watching what BTC is doing because they don't really care.

I trade BTSX/CNY because that's where the action is. I wonder what percentage of the BTSX/CNY pair volume is non Chinese. Probably very small but we're there :).

Never the less, I think you and Max are both correct.

Offline Riverhead

I love your videos, Max. You have a very clear and concise way of explaining complex concepts.

Offline edilliam

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
HI guys,

Here is my latest video.   Please upvote in as many locations as you can.

http://youtu.be/JAhDUk0r4-0?list=PL1zCD-urlm3iuJlUhq7Nwl5KuVXVShHKO
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=816108.new#new

Hope you enjoy.   And as always feedback and corrections welcome.

+5%

I hadn't watched any of your videos before. Very, very good. The way you come at in from the Bitcoin angle and cover a few other options people might like, not just BitSharesX works very well.

Really liked your comparison of a traditional bank to BitUSD at 9:20

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Awesome video Max!

Minor comment: You mentioned that BTSX has stayed stable around the 3 cents mark and has not seen the same volatility of BTC because it is not competing with it in the "cryptocurrency" space. I think the reason is more likely to do with 75% of BTSX trading being done in CNY as opposed to BTC.

Check this out: http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitshares-x/#markets

Offline testz

Offline bennyliaa

• View Profile
My Personal BTS Account: stephen

Offline bitmarket

• View Profile
    • BitShares TV