Author Topic: AN UPDATE ON THE MARKETING CAMPAIGN....can you tell us what's up???  (Read 17722 times)

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
My motto has always been: Don't f.... wait for things to happen, just f..... do it!!!

Let me guess.  Nike?  ;D
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
Sounds great. We don't need Porter Stansberry.

They need us Donkey :D

They wouldn't hurt though, their list is huge.

It's just a part of marketing...but I hear ya on the fear angles.....

This kind of talk is super encouraging. Yeah their list is massive and their audience would be receptive to BitGLD.

Stansberry is a bit too paranoid for me. But many of his suggestions are right on, not to mention his deep research, which I'm sure his audience appreciates. I guess we could buy some lists at some point, but for now I like what I see as far as bringing in traffic.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
My motto has always been: Don't f.... wait for things to happen, just f..... do it!!!
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I think a lot of people think I'm advocating targeting only the crypto crowd as opposed to a larger pool of people. That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm saying we need to clearly define who an early adopter is and who he isn't. So far the target demographic seems really fuzzy and there is no strategic reason to keep everyone is the dark about that.

An early adopter != only cryptonerds

Early adopters for disruptive technology are the same sort of people who adopted the PC or the Internet before anyone else. I really hope the marketing team has the common sense to target early adopters before the early majority because the early majority follows the lead of the early adopters. Establishing that foundation is essential to our eventual success with the mainstream.

First thanks for posting the vid it was great.

I am trying to give your argument some deeper thought So let me throw some numbers out at you?

As I can find bitmit and SR are 2 of the biggest(in terms of revenue generated) somewhat similar market places I can find.  SR, in its time 1.9 million a month bitmit was harder to find numbers for but I would guess it was much much less. I won't throw companies like ebay into this mix because whether we like it or not crypto's are not mainstream and to use a company that accepts fiat would completing blow the numbers out of proportion.

So lets say each did a even  2 mill for a total of 4 mill a month of business done. I would suggest that in the bigger picture this really isn't that much money and it will take some time for OB to be doing that much business. This doesn't even touch on the fact that many of the cool features won't be implemented until after release (put at not by the end of the year). While OB may seem like low hanging fruit, the time it would take for multi-sig may make said fruit not low at all. Lets be honest multi-sig really matters most to use but probably won't matter at all to mainstream because they won't be using OB or conducting transactions that would take advantage of it.

How much in revenue do you think OB will do in the next 4 months? I say 4 months because I am gathering thats plenty of time for bitshares to ink bank deals, and release a nicer client. With those things done they will start these "funnels", and if the funnels are done correctly we should be sitting a few cents higher.   

I understand your argument about building a foundation of users (cryptonauts) that will help produce this network effect when a mainstream marketing campaign is launched. I think we could have done some cheap marketing to make people in the crypto community more aware  of bitshares to help build this foundation. Do I know how many foundation user's it will take to get that perfect mix of cryptonauts vs new blood, no. Do I think it would be nice to have more cryptonauts, absolutely. Do I think at the current adoption of cryptonauts it will STOP new blood from trying it, the answer is no.

I think the marketing plan is a all-in move.I think its success will be based very much on fiat-on and OFF ramps(the second part will bring more crypto users on board). I also think a low fee debit card, pretty UI and reasonable decent funnels will work just fine, if done in a timely fashion.

On a side note I tried looking into other projects Brain has worked on to try and see his marketing in action. I was a bit stumped on finding info on them (this is not a insult). Not that I am the best  finding this kind of info I just wanted to see what kind of style we could expect.

I haven't mentioned anything about OB in this thread... But since you brought it up:

Did PayPal stay contained within eBays ecosystem? Nope. It acted as an advertisement for the utility of PayPal. It's vertical growth (one ecosystem) vs. horizontal growth (many different ecosystems). If BitUSD were to become the standard on OB, the infrastructure that would eventually stem from that would be both significant and free.

TL;DR OB would be an advertisement to influential people within the crypto world for the utility of BitUSD. That's how you kickstart network effect.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
I think a lot of people think I'm advocating targeting only the crypto crowd as opposed to a larger pool of people. That's not what I'm doing at all. I'm saying we need to clearly define who an early adopter is and who he isn't. So far the target demographic seems really fuzzy and there is no strategic reason to keep everyone is the dark about that.

Early adopters for disruptive technology are the same sort of people who adopted the PC or the Internet before anyone else. I really hope the marketing team has the common sense to target early adopters before the early majority because the early majority follows the lead of the early adopters. Establishing that foundation is essential to our eventual success with the mainstream.

First thanks for posting the vid it was great.

I am trying to give your argument some deeper thought So let me throw some numbers out at you?

As I can find bitmit and SR are 2 of the biggest(in terms of revenue generated) somewhat similar market places I can find.  SR, in its time 1.9 million a month bitmit was harder to find numbers for but I would guess it was much much less. I won't throw companies like ebay into this mix because whether we like it or not crypto's are not mainstream and to use a company that accepts fiat would completing blow the numbers out of proportion.

So lets say each did a even  2 mill for a total of 4 mill a month of business done. I would suggest that in the bigger picture this really isn't that much money and it will take some time for OB to be doing that much business. This doesn't even touch on the fact that many of the cool features won't be implemented until after release (put at not by the end of the year). While OB may seem like low hanging fruit, the time it would take for multi-sig may make said fruit not low at all. Lets be honest multi-sig really matters most to use but probably won't matter at all to mainstream because they won't be using OB or conducting transactions that would take advantage of it.

How much in revenue do you think OB will do in the next 4 months? I say 4 months because I am gathering thats plenty of time for bitshares to ink bank deals, and release a nicer client. With those things done they will start these "funnels", and if the funnels are done correctly we should be sitting a few cents higher.   

I understand your argument about building a foundation of users (cryptonauts) that will help produce this network effect when a mainstream marketing campaign is launched. I think we could have done some cheap marketing to make people in the crypto community more aware  of bitshares to help build this foundation. Do I know how many foundation user's it will take to get that perfect mix of cryptonauts vs new blood, no. Do I think it would be nice to have more cryptonauts, absolutely. Do I think at the current adoption of cryptonauts it will STOP new blood from trying it, the answer is no.

I think the marketing plan is a all-in move.I think its success will be based very much on fiat-on and OFF ramps(the second part will bring more crypto users on board). I also think a low fee debit card, pretty UI and reasonable decent funnels will work just fine, if done in a timely fashion.

On a side note I tried looking into other projects Brain has worked on to try and see his marketing in action. I was a bit stumped on finding info on them (this is not a insult). Not that I am the best  finding this kind of info I just wanted to see what kind of style we could expect.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Who is in the target audience for money?
Who are the early adopters of money?

If you answer those question you will see that the usual rules do not apply...
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
We wanna hit the lake...the people in the pool will find us regardless...and the ocean is the next stop.
+5%

2015 - A New Year. A New Economy.

Stepping outside the young male (High risk tolerance, tech savvy) current alt-coin demographic is a very hard sell indeed.

I also think it seems illogical not to have gone harder after the low hanging fruit in this interim period regardless of a mainstream push coming up. However the result of that dearth of alt-coin marketing is that BTSX is probably the most under-valued I've seen it right now relative to the stage it's at. So it's almost guaranteed to explode to the upside with the marketing push.

So if you did want Baby Boomers on board. I would say it would also be a good idea to get in touch with some traditional investment research and stock recommendation services.  If BTSX is tipped to Western Baby Boomers as the next Bitcoin just before the marketing push, BTSX will be on their radar and when they see it go from 60 Million to 200 to 300 etc. it will be hard with those kind of gains for even Baby Boomers not to want to jump on the BTSX train.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:09:46 pm by Empirical1.1 »

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
OB integration is not happening and we will most likely show up late to the party because of the amount of work that it would take to implement multi-sig, which OB said is basically mandatory.
Many of us think this is a huge mistake considering OB is not only a great idea but a very good hot topic right now. When you try to put things in context what tasks do you but your devs on? Wallets, polishing UI, MM bots....insert long list of important technical stuff here. Is it more import to make the UI look simple and pretty so that when you create these new user funnels, users will have a positive experience? Should you corner the guys and  explain that bitUSD,cny,gld etx all are not useful other then as a experiment if we don't have liquidity which a bot will greatly help?It is unrealistic to ask them to complete everything all at once and now.So what they are focusing should tie into who they are marketing to. I say this because I understand if you wait until everything is done the passengers will have all ready left on another crypto train.

What is the current list's of tasks for the dev's, in order of priority?
If you are going after the crypto crown OB is the obvious answer and that would make multi-sig a must have and first on the list?
If you are going after the retirement crowd it may be a better use of time to polish the UI to give them that bank like experience?

I3 has said more then a few times they want to focus on the non crypto crowd. The word balsy comes to mind. They are going to try to cast as big of a net via these funnels into the ocean of people that have never been exposed to crypto before. This could easily make the "to da moon" look laughable as we sling-shot past Uranus. I see it as a very all-in approach which I am fine with.

We wanna hit the lake...the people in the pool will find us regardless...and the ocean is the next stop.
+5%

From my perspective I think they are going from pond to ocean skipping everything in between. Look at the current funnels, I have seen a ad on youtube and that's it. You know how I found this place? I was a miner looking to get on the the ransacking of pts when it was easy to mine and great to sell. I did, thank god stop and take some time to read on it a bit and sold my gear to get on board. The point is many people find this place by accident. I feel like we are the janitor in Good Will hunting. A complete genius solving mathematical algorithms at night when no one is watching and going to be discovered and brought to light almost on accident.

I just saw the recent OB video, I think it's a mistake pass this up (I understand development resources are scarce).  It's great the official marketing team is going after larger markets, but OB would allow the grassroots to do their job as well.

New OB video

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=819475.0
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
OB integration is not happening and we will most likely show up late to the party because of the amount of work that it would take to implement multi-sig, which OB said is basically mandatory.
Many of us think this is a huge mistake considering OB is not only a great idea but a very good hot topic right now. When you try to put things in context what tasks do you but your devs on? Wallets, polishing UI, MM bots....insert long list of important technical stuff here. Is it more import to make the UI look simple and pretty so that when you create these new user funnels, users will have a positive experience? Should you corner the guys and  explain that bitUSD,cny,gld etx all are not useful other then as a experiment if we don't have liquidity which a bot will greatly help?It is unrealistic to ask them to complete everything all at once and now.So what they are focusing should tie into who they are marketing to. I say this because I understand if you wait until everything is done the passengers will have all ready left on another crypto train.

What is the current list's of tasks for the dev's, in order of priority?
If you are going after the crypto crown OB is the obvious answer and that would make multi-sig a must have and first on the list?
If you are going after the retirement crowd it may be a better use of time to polish the UI to give them that bank like experience?

I3 has said more then a few times they want to focus on the non crypto crowd. The word balsy comes to mind. They are going to try to cast as big of a net via these funnels into the ocean of people that have never been exposed to crypto before. This could easily make the "to da moon" look laughable as we sling-shot past Uranus. I see it as a very all-in approach which I am fine with.

+5%

From my perspective I think they are going from pond to ocean skipping everything in between. Look at the current funnels, I have seen a ad on youtube and that's it. You know how I found this place? I was a miner looking to get on the the ransacking of pts when it was easy to mine and great to sell. I did, thank god stop and take some time to read on it a bit and sold my gear to get on board. The point is many people find this place by accident. I feel like we are the janitor in Good Will hunting. A complete genius solving mathematical algorithms at night when no one is watching and going to be discovered and brought to light almost on accident.

Offline Riverhead

+5%

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Things are going well on the marketing campaign.  We are getting further on funnel and page development.  We are close to making a good deal for offramp on the funnel, so we have onramp - funnel, offramp.

We will be targeting people that are in lateral markets for the time being, while working on mainstreet funnel for 2015.  Our goal is to not go after everyone right now, but to expand past crypto fans right now.  To go after crypto only is like hitting on our sister or cousin.  You might bag em, but you really run out of options fast.  Like the analogy?  It is an incestuous circle, as I mentioned to people while in Las Vegas this week.  Going after crypto only right now only gets us so far...it's like playing in a public swimming pool, that is located next to a lake...located next to an ocean.  We wanna hit the lake...the people in the pool will find us regardless...and the ocean is the next stop.

Thanks for making clear the objective.  I like the idea of going beyond the crypto sphere.  Too many altcoins are just focusing on this small circle.  I would love to hear more how we are going to swim into the lake.  I wonder how is the water there.  ;)

The ocean, you mean? Once you get beyond the waves, discounting the occasional squall, it's smooth sailing over crystal blue waters.

Offline cube

• View Profile
Things are going well on the marketing campaign.  We are getting further on funnel and page development.  We are close to making a good deal for offramp on the funnel, so we have onramp - funnel, offramp.

We will be targeting people that are in lateral markets for the time being, while working on mainstreet funnel for 2015.  Our goal is to not go after everyone right now, but to expand past crypto fans right now.  To go after crypto only is like hitting on our sister or cousin.  You might bag em, but you really run out of options fast.  Like the analogy?  It is an incestuous circle, as I mentioned to people while in Las Vegas this week.  Going after crypto only right now only gets us so far...it's like playing in a public swimming pool, that is located next to a lake...located next to an ocean.  We wanna hit the lake...the people in the pool will find us regardless...and the ocean is the next stop.

Thanks for making clear the objective.  I like the idea of going beyond the crypto sphere.  Too many altcoins are just focusing on this small circle.  I would love to hear more how we are going to swim into the lake.  I wonder how is the water there.  ;)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

+5%. I really don't understand why baby boomers are so change-averse, but from my observations it is pretty much always the case. I feel like I'll still be open to new ideas when I'm 60...or will there come a point where I'll transform into an idea-fearing old coot as well?

That is truly terrifying.

Because we have spent our entire lives getting the world just the way we like it?  :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

This kind of talk is super encouraging. Yeah their list is massive and their audience would be receptive to BitGLD.

Stansberry is a bit too paranoid for me. But many of his suggestions are right on, not to mention his deep research, which I'm sure his audience appreciates. I guess we could buy some lists at some point, but for now I like what I see as far as bringing in traffic.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline Sonny Jim

• View Profile

This sound great!

This is called - changing the rules of the game.
I hope you are well prepared, this will cause lot of buzz..

Sounds like a reasonable plan.  +5%

Offline Geneko

• View Profile

This sound great!

This is called - changing the rules of the game.
I hope you are well prepared, this will cause lot of buzz..

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
Am I going to get an email from Porter Stansberry hawking BitShares?  Please tell me yes, lol

That is entirely possible, since I know the guys over there.  That would be 2015 though, as we need to get some depth in the market on BitsharesX, as well as a little more time track record.  They would be a great fit for this, no doubt.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Am I going to get an email from Porter Stansberry hawking BitShares?  Please tell me yes, lol
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
It was mentioned several times on the forum, but also in person.  I was making it clear that we are expanding the space, but not trying to be everything to everyone just yet.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention that we should go after a crypto only demographic. If that's what you guys think the sentiment is in the forum, you are mistaken.

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
How do you submit questions for a hangout? How do these hangouts even work?
you join the channel: http://beyondbitcoinx.net/mumble/
set up your microphone before-hand and just go ahead in the channel

Can I do it on a cell phone? I'm in Toronto on business and I have no access to a laptop where I'm at. If I don't make it home today can you ask Brian this question for me: "how would you describe the typical BitUSD user 1 year from now?"

Thanks Xeroc!
I pretty sure you can do it from a phone.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Can I do it on a cell phone? I'm in Toronto on business and I have no access to a laptop where I'm at. If I don't make it home today can you ask Brian this question for me: "how would you describe the typical BitUSD user 1 year from now? Why is he using BitUSD?"

Thanks Xeroc!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:18:35 pm by MeTHoDx »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
- Open Bazaar
- Payment Processors like GoCoin
- Larger Exchanges

Those would add a lot of traction within the low hanging fruit realm.  Credit Card and Prepaid card will be another useful segment, I don't see why both can't be worked on at the same time by different segments of the community.

This - I'm not sure why I3 seems hesitant to go after the easy stuff.

I could understand if things like OB integration or GoCoin/Bitpay partnerships conflicted with the masterplan... but I can't conceive such a scenario.

How do we know they aren't?

Exactly, that's why I submitted those exact questions for the hangout today. The last thing I want to do is duplicate work in the grassroots.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

Those would add a lot of traction within the low hanging fruit realm.  Credit Card and Prepaid card will be another useful segment, I don't see why both can't be worked on at the same time by different segments of the community.

I could understand if things like OB integration or GoCoin/Bitpay partnerships conflicted with the masterplan... but I can't conceive such a scenario.

Exactly, that's why I submitted those exact questions for the hangout today. The last thing I want to do is duplicate work in the grassroots.
=============

Offline betax

• View Profile
Open Bazaar, imaging be able to sell like eBay but with very low fees and with no volatility in the price.

Imaging to be able to buy anything cheaper than ebay (as marketers can give you 1% lower price).

Imaging to be able to buy wholesale from China or other part of the world at lower the cost (Alibaba decentralised) and exchange BitUsd , BitCNY

Imaging keeping all the profit of your sales in BitUSD (etc) to earn interest.

Open Bazaar + BitSharesX are meant to be together :)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying even if we had a 1.0 product, they're seeding the wrong demographic anyway.

I'm just genuinely curious to know what's worked out best in your experience. We've seen what happens when people wait until a product is super polished and miss the boat but also what happens when half baked software is released. I guess it would depend on the product, the demographic, and what else is in the market space (or will be soon)?

You cannot squash every bug without a large pool of beta testers. The advantage of capturing early adopters is that you get to iterate and refine your product before it organically moves to broader demographics.

Offline Riverhead

- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Those of you who ignore MethodX are in for a rude awakening, because he is the sanest guy in this thread. If the initial marketing effort will be an all-in attempt at capturing the "neo&bee market" instantly, then we're in trouble, because that will not work. Old people are not going to buy bitUSD, Argentinians are not going to buy bitUSD. Like I've seen MethodX talking about before, the obvious starting point for us should be open bazaar. A referral program for them would be the perfect way to kickstart bitUSD usage, and should commence the second we have a presentable wallet.

Once bitUSD gains anything close to bitcoins current traction, we've won, because at that point the mass market can begin pouring in. But it's not gonna come in as early adopters.

That being said, credit card on-ramp + prepaid debit card off ramp will be extremely strong and make any sort of marketing immensely easy, so I think it's the right thing to focus on. Honestly, the kind of marketing effort we need right now is the effort of the community, no amount of "talented marketing people" can give us the early userbase we need.

Btw is there a list of the marketing team somewhere?

Finally I wish there was more coherence between the Chinese and English communities. We should be working as one, but are currently in a pretty awkward one-country-two-systems situation. I guess as a mandarin speaker I should be working on this.

As for community marketing, there's a few ideas being exchanged on reddit posts, task forces and other similar actions.  I expect to see the community flesh that out fairly quickly.  I've said this before, but I'll repeat it again:

- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
I personally think the potential flood-gate for onboarding users is the yield.
I don't think there is an institution in the entire world that is in a position to offer something like that right now.
And Dan & Co. have figured out how to do that.  Congratulations.

That said, for it to work it will have to be really, really, REALLY dumbed down.
I think when a person works in a particular field for some time everything starts to look very easy and second nature.
But I personally don't know anyone over 60 who does online banking for example.
I hope the real capabilities of the demographics is being well considered.
Of the aforementioned baby-boomer generation, something like downloading and installing a client is probably already a huge overestimation of what the majority will know how or be willing to do.

+5%. I really don't understand why baby boomers are so change-averse, but from my observations it is pretty much always the case. I feel like I'll still be open to new ideas when I'm 60...or will there come a point where I'll transform into an idea-fearing old coot as well?

That is truly terrifying.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
I personally think the potential flood-gate for onboarding users is the yield.
I don't think there is an institution in the entire world that is in a position to offer something like that right now.
And Dan & Co. have figured out how to do that.  Congratulations.

That said, for it to work it will have to be really, really, REALLY dumbed down.
I think when a person works in a particular field for some time everything starts to look very easy and second nature.
But I personally don't know anyone over 60 who does online banking for example.
I hope the real capabilities of the demographics is being well considered.
Of the aforementioned baby-boomer generation, something like downloading and installing a client is probably already a huge overestimation of what the majority will know how or be willing to do.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Those of you who ignore MethodX are in for a rude awakening, because he is the sanest guy in this thread. If the initial marketing effort will be an all-in attempt at capturing the "neo&bee market" instantly, then we're in trouble, because that will not work. Old people are not going to buy bitUSD, Argentinians are not going to buy bitUSD. Like I've seen MethodX talking about before, the obvious starting point for us should be open bazaar. A referral program for them would be the perfect way to kickstart bitUSD usage, and should commence the second we have a presentable wallet.

Once bitUSD gains anything close to bitcoins current traction, we've won, because at that point the mass market can begin pouring in. But it's not gonna come in as early adopters.

That being said, credit card on-ramp + prepaid debit card off ramp will be extremely strong and make any sort of marketing immensely easy, so I think it's the right thing to focus on. Honestly, the kind of marketing effort we need right now is the effort of the community, no amount of "talented marketing people" can give us the early userbase we need.

Finally I wish there was more coherence between the Chinese and English communities. We should be working as one, but are currently in a pretty awkward one-country-two-systems situation. I guess as a mandarin speaker I should be working on this.

As for community marketing, there's a few ideas being exchanged on reddit posts, task forces and other similar actions.  I expect to see the community flesh that out fairly quickly.  I've said this before, but I'll repeat it again:

- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:08:32 pm by hpenvy »
=============

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Here's the problem with this marketing plan as I see it:

One of the main things I do these days is help startups get a userbase (among other things). So we're always dealing with network effect and the challenge of getting traction. After doing this for awhile you start to see patterns. One of the patterns I noticed is that when a company tries to go mainstream (early majority) before getting a solid foundation of early adopters, they almost always end up getting neither.

The strategy we use is called "piggybacking". That means we try to identify a market of early adopters that need the product/service right now and focus on catering to them. If the product "catches" and successfully establishes a solid niche userbase, it will organically spread to other areas (think vertical growth vs. horizontal growth). The niche we originally focused on acts as an advertisement for the utility of the product, allowing it to grow horizontally and eventually it reaches a mainstream audience all on its own.
Good point. Prove utility with a small group of users for who utility is super high, test and improve your product here (feeddback cycle), then go mainstream.

Should MeTHoDx be hired?  Maybe, if what hes saying is true he can scientifically test with a very small budget.  He has already been donated like 10,000 BTSX, or something.

Should we advertise on letstalkbitcoin?  Maybe?  Should Adam Levine rather just start talking about us, yes supposedly he has a big stake.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Hey guys.   

Quick update.....I can assure you we are working around the clock on the marketing campaign.  Just like the many months Dan and the devs were working on BitSharesX - where it seemed like nothing at all was happening, this too isn't as easy (or as fast) as any of us would expect or want it to be.   

The marketing team has been spending nearly every day (and most of the event in Vegas) speaking with "on-ramp" service companies in order to find the best solution for getting USD into BTSX and bitUSD.  We are VERY close, btw, with one of them.  In addition, we are working on an "off-ramp" partner who can provide a bitUSD direct to a prepaid credit card to allow users to get out of bitUSD without needing a normal crypto exchange.  We were hoping to find one company to do both, but no one is able to do both at this time so we have two different sides to develop for this platform. 

On top of both of those partnerships, we're looking for "backup" service providers in the event either one cant handle the volume we intend to push.  We need to tie in the API's on the back end for a seamless experience, build a separate site, finish producing the multiple videos that explain what/how/why of BTSX and bitUSD, and so much more. 

This project is more involved than it may look from the outside, but I can assure you everything is moving forward.  Like Dan, I'm not going to put a specific date on when all this will be completed and the "go" button pushed, but it WILL happen. And when it does, it will be plainly obvious it is a DIRECT result of our efforts.

As for transparency, we are not sharing all the details of how or where we're going to get all the new users we expect to see into our system, or precisely what we are doing, for obvious reasons.  No one in the industry is doing what we are attempting to do - which is the very reason we will have the results no one else is having. 

The team I've assembled is nothing short of top notch and has knocked it out of the park in many other industries.  I have no doubt they'll do the same with us.  We expect a VERY significant increase in new users, as well as capital, into both BTSX and bitUSD, once launched, so our goal is real growth, not "pumping" the value artificially. 

I know many of you are anxious and wanting to see big returns on the of time, money and trust you've placed in BitShares.  I too want all of those things.  We will get there, I have no doubts.  Stay tuned.... The day we launch, I'll make the forum aware of it immediately so you can see exaclty what we've created and send your own friends and contacts through the site, to participate. 

Thanks! B

Brian, you've described bizdev activities or  "business development".  What is the marketing plan?   

Do you think Bizdev (strategic partnerships and personal relationships) and Marketing (messaging) are the same thing?

Wasn't there a project called dogeparty?
That's what I call true marketing effort - AdamBLevine style!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUpW18Exw8g

You can find info about dogeparty at http://dogeparty.io, I think it's pretty easy to understand but it's important to note that Brian is the director of marketing for Invictus who has been paid a salary to do that job for more than six months.  I was never compensated in any way for my work on Dogeparty, and I donated my time/effort because I think its a valuable experiment.

Thanks for representing the forum defense force and reminding me why I don't waste my time in this cheerleading echo chamber.

At least he tried, he being Adam Levine.   Was his marketing successful, no, it only got 1300 people on youtube but still people.  From the history ive heard about him should he be in charge?  no. 

But hes doing more than what most of you are doing by creating content. yes

And because im technically incompetent and people dont like multiple posts.  Yes the marketing plan has been veiled mentioned if you do not know what there multi-pronged like tactics are you are not reading enough?  It is perfectly reasonable to ask, is there a plan B and are they going all in to Plan A?  I am hoping yes for the former and no for the ladder.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

One of the main things I do these days is help startups get a userbase (among other things). So we're always dealing with network effect and the challenge of getting traction. After doing this for awhile you start to see patterns. One of the patterns I noticed is that when a company tries to go mainstream (early majority) before getting a solid foundation of early adopters, they almost always end up getting neither.

The strategy we use is called "piggybacking". That means we try to identify a market of early adopters that need the product/service right now and focus on catering to them. If the product "catches" and successfully establishes a solid niche userbase, it will organically spread to other areas (think vertical growth vs. horizontal growth). The niche we originally focused on acts as an advertisement for the utility of the product, allowing it to grow horizontally and eventually it reaches a mainstream audience all on its own.
Good point. Prove utility with a small group of users for who utility is super high, test and improve your product here (feeddback cycle), then go mainstream.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile

You can find info about dogeparty at http://dogeparty.io, I think it's pretty easy to understand but it's important to note that Brian is the director of marketing for Invictus who has been paid a salary to do that job for more than six months.  I was never compensated in any way for my work on Dogeparty, and I donated my time/effort because I think its a valuable experiment.

Thanks for representing the forum defense force and reminding me why I don't waste my time in this cheerleading echo chamber.

Even though I think dogeparty.io is a complete waste of time and terrible for crypto in general, I can respect your effort to donate time in something you believe in.  I also respect the fact that you have concerns with the direction in marketing. We need different points of view in the community, period. As a counter to your comment, we are #4 in the world in market cap.  There are literally hundreds of projects that would love to be in our spot.

I never understood why people get so worked up in a forum. It's business, nothing more. Nobody 'represents' the defense force, each of us are adults and can make a decision where to best spend our energy and finances. I certainly don't agree with everything on here, it doesn't stop me from making media contacts on my own.

I look forward to see what's rolled out and I'll make my further investment decisions based on that information. In the meantime, congrats to Brian and the team for a fantastic job at InsideBitcoins.
=============

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Ah, but which part of the echo chamber are you in?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

My only concern was that you decided to spend some of your valuable time in said chamber. For you own good, I wanted to save you that unnecessary and equally unpleasant experience.

PS
AdamBLevine.... you still remain my favorite coin developer... the developer of my 2 favorite coins (excuse my bias but I still can not choose just one) LTBCoin or DOGEParty... cause I am totally split

You rock!
Which one do you like more?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:20:37 pm by tonyk »

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Hey guys.   

Quick update.....I can assure you we are working around the clock on the marketing campaign.  Just like the many months Dan and the devs were working on BitSharesX - where it seemed like nothing at all was happening, this too isn't as easy (or as fast) as any of us would expect or want it to be.   

The marketing team has been spending nearly every day (and most of the event in Vegas) speaking with "on-ramp" service companies in order to find the best solution for getting USD into BTSX and bitUSD.  We are VERY close, btw, with one of them.  In addition, we are working on an "off-ramp" partner who can provide a bitUSD direct to a prepaid credit card to allow users to get out of bitUSD without needing a normal crypto exchange.  We were hoping to find one company to do both, but no one is able to do both at this time so we have two different sides to develop for this platform. 

On top of both of those partnerships, we're looking for "backup" service providers in the event either one cant handle the volume we intend to push.  We need to tie in the API's on the back end for a seamless experience, build a separate site, finish producing the multiple videos that explain what/how/why of BTSX and bitUSD, and so much more. 

This project is more involved than it may look from the outside, but I can assure you everything is moving forward.  Like Dan, I'm not going to put a specific date on when all this will be completed and the "go" button pushed, but it WILL happen. And when it does, it will be plainly obvious it is a DIRECT result of our efforts.

As for transparency, we are not sharing all the details of how or where we're going to get all the new users we expect to see into our system, or precisely what we are doing, for obvious reasons.  No one in the industry is doing what we are attempting to do - which is the very reason we will have the results no one else is having. 

The team I've assembled is nothing short of top notch and has knocked it out of the park in many other industries.  I have no doubt they'll do the same with us.  We expect a VERY significant increase in new users, as well as capital, into both BTSX and bitUSD, once launched, so our goal is real growth, not "pumping" the value artificially. 

I know many of you are anxious and wanting to see big returns on the of time, money and trust you've placed in BitShares.  I too want all of those things.  We will get there, I have no doubts.  Stay tuned.... The day we launch, I'll make the forum aware of it immediately so you can see exaclty what we've created and send your own friends and contacts through the site, to participate. 

Thanks! B

Brian, you've described bizdev activities or  "business development".  What is the marketing plan?   

Do you think Bizdev (strategic partnerships and personal relationships) and Marketing (messaging) are the same thing?

Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline Riverhead

Bitshares hit 1.0 as soon as the bitUSD peg held.

The market mechanics for sure but not the usability/functionality of the client.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Can I ask highly appropriate question, in a highly unrelated thread?

Why we discuss all matters, in 3 to 7 parallel  threads at a time?

Offline oldman

• View Profile
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying even if we had a 1.0 product, they're seeding the wrong demographic anyway.

I'm just genuinely curious to know what's worked out best in your experience. We've seen what happens when people wait until a product is super polished and miss the boat but also what happens when half baked software is released. I guess it would depend on the product, the demographic, and what else is in the market space (or will be soon)?

Bitshares hit 1.0 as soon as the bitUSD peg held.

Offline Riverhead

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Is there an easy way to sort out early adopters from the general population?  Seems like every demographic has them so we have to run each whole demographic through an appropriate funnel to filter out the ones that will adopt early.  No?

Early adopters are people your product has utility for right now and are willing to take a risk on it. The boomer demographic you mentioned won't take a risk on BitUSD unless they see their grandkids using it (and even then it will be a hard sell). Personal computers were not marketed to old people even though PCs offered them utility; they were simply too risk averse. But when we look around today, even the boomers are pretty comfortable using computers because their kids taught them.

Or are you saying that current crypto users are precisely these early adopters for our products and we should only market to them?

Disruptive technology starts off in the underground and spreads from there to broader and broader demographics. Think of it like planting a seed in the most fertile soil. Eventually the seed will blossom and spread to the areas around it. It starts off in the most fertile soil but eventually its offspring end up everywhere. What would have happened if you initially planted the seed in sand?

How close to a finished product do you get to before starting this? I feel that's the critical question. Would you start this with beta software, release candidate, or 1.0? We know what i3's choice is. What's yours?

Offline Riverhead

How close to a finished product do you get to before starting this? I feel that's the critical question. Would you start this with beta software, release candidate, or 1.0? We know what i3's choice is. What's yours?

Offline oldman

• View Profile
I3 seems to be hunting big game.

This is fantastic, but the community can't follow the stalk.

So it's a bit frustrating for many shareholders.

I would propose a placation:

Implement multisig and integrate bitUSD into OB.

Low input cost, fast turnaround, discrete work package. Wham, bam.

This will satisfy the community and a create a potential viral insertion point into the crypto-crowd.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I know you strongly believe in that MeTHoDx. And as much respect as I have for the knowledge and experience you have, I do not get why we have to limit ourselves when the sky is the limit?

I'm not suggesting we limit ourselves at all. I'm pointing out that technological adoption has a VERY predictable cycle and it makes more sense to leverage that knowledge vs. fighting against it.

Is there an easy way to sort out early adopters from the general population?  Seems like every demographic has them so we have to run each whole demographic through an appropriate funnel to filter out the ones that will adopt early.  No?

Or are you saying that current crypto users are precisely these early adopters for our products and we should only market to them?

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I know you strongly believe in that MeTHoDx. And as much respect as I have for the knowledge and experience you have, I do not get why we have to limit ourselves when the sky is the limit?

I'm not suggesting we limit ourselves at all. I'm pointing out that technological adoption has a VERY predictable cycle and it makes more sense to leverage that knowledge vs. fighting against it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:11:43 am by MeTHoDx »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

If I've been understanding the marketing talk correctly, I think that the niche that the team is pursuing is the people who are interested in getting into the cryptocurrency market but want to be able to protect themselves against volatility.  That's why I'm assuming they're focused on marketing bitUSD rather than directly marketing BTSX.

We will have multiple "funnels" custom-designed to bring different demographics into our ecosystem.  Definitely not one size fits all.  The list of funnels will grow over time.  Low hanging fruit is specific populations that are losing trust their own currencies (e.g.  Greece, Argentina, United States, Bitcoin :) ... ).

In the US there are many demographics, but the biggest two-way partition is those who are awake vs. those who are asleep.  Seems to make sense to target those who are awake first.  That (we hope) is the fastest growing demographic. :)    Every black swan currently on final approach will grow this group when it touches down, waking more people up and generating another flood of "refugees".  We'll need a custom funnel for each one.

But really, its mostly about using different hooks to achieve the same goal:  overcome resistance and inertia in the average consumer.  After people have safely and pleasantly experienced BitSharesX as the most competitive bank in the world, the hardest marketing task is essentially complete.  It will simply out-perform everything else out there.  "Yield on savings and checking with the ability to instantly switch which currency mix to store in your own private vault and instantly wire it anywhere in the world with none of the current systemic risks."

Then its all about sustaining a good customer experience.

This is encouraging! Can you confirm you're not trying to market this to mom and dad? That's what all the marketing talk sounds like to me.

Well, one demographic that is already desperate is every baby-boomer who planned to live off their savings in retirement.  They are seeking risk-free yield.  The world financial system is offering them yield-free risk.  Sounds like a big opportunity to me.

Now we just have to flip their perception of real and perceived risk.  Whole new sales pitch.  Whole new funnel.

But we'll probably have to reach them through older, more expensive media channels.  It will take a while to get our marketing budget up to Super Bowl / World Cup size.

Oh wait, I'm talking about my own generation!  You'd be surprised how many of us use the Internet (to shop for laxatives, and dentures, and um, catamarans.)  I've been through quite a few funnels myself, now that I've learned to recognize them.   :)

"Are you sure you want to leave this page?  I'm about to get to the point..."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:19:19 am by Stan »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Great question.

It seems to me this marketing plan completely ignores both chasm 1 and chasm 2. Bitcoin had so many potential uses cases but failed to cross chasm 2 because of its volatility. I'm betting BitUSD will cross chasm 2 all on its own but to do so it needs to establish itself in some of the chasm 1 use cases. I see us as the innovators and we need to establish a solid base of early adopters before trying for the early majority. The early majority follows the early adopters and without them, they'll see "BitUSD" as too risky.

And do we have to continue carrying on this restricting shell?

Plus, we already have one 'open minded' innovative company chose to go the turtle way and building a reptile of their own.

References to Turtle: *a slow-moving reptile, enclosed in a scaly or leathery domed shell into which...

Someone said a day or so ago:
 It is BTSX and turtles all the way down!  N.

And subscribe for that!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:55:22 am by tonyk »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

If I've been understanding the marketing talk correctly, I think that the niche that the team is pursuing is the people who are interested in getting into the cryptocurrency market but want to be able to protect themselves against volatility.  That's why I'm assuming they're focused on marketing bitUSD rather than directly marketing BTSX.

We will have multiple "funnels" custom-designed to bring different demographics into our ecosystem.  Definitely not one size fits all.  The list of funnels will grow over time.  Low hanging fruit is specific populations that are losing trust their own currencies (e.g.  Greece, Argentina, United States, Bitcoin :) ... ).

In the US there are many demographics, but the biggest two-way partition is those who are awake vs. those who are asleep.  Seems to make sense to target those who are awake first.  That (we hope) is the fastest growing demographic. :)    Every black swan currently on final approach will grow this group when it touches down, waking more people up and generating another flood of "refugees".  We'll need a custom funnel for each one.

But really, its mostly about using different hooks to achieve the same goal:  overcome resistance and inertia in the average consumer.  After people have safely and pleasantly experienced BitSharesX as the most competitive bank in the world, the hardest marketing task is essentially complete.  It will simply out-perform everything else out there.  "Yield on savings and checking with the ability to instantly switch which currency mix to store in your own private vault and instantly wire it anywhere in the world with none of the current systemic risks."

This is encouraging! Can you confirm you're not trying to market this to mom and dad? That's what all the marketing talk sounds like to me.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
I really hope a payment processor is in the works as well. As processors such as GoCoin continue to break into new markets, we want to make sure BitUSD is along for the ride. I know they are looking into the casino market, I'd like to be there for that ride.
=============

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

To what extent do you see US as the early adopters?  I'm guessing you see US as the Super Early Adopters so do you think the other early adopters are that plentiful for the taking?  Can they be pursued in parallel or is that too much to bite off?

Great question.

It seems to me this marketing plan completely ignores both chasm 1 and chasm 2. Bitcoin had so many potential uses cases but failed to cross chasm 2 because of its volatility. I'm betting BitUSD will cross chasm 2 all on its own but to do so it needs to establish itself in some of the chasm 1 use cases. I see us as the innovators and we need to establish a solid base of early adopters before trying for the early majority. The early majority follows the early adopters and without them, they'll see "BitUSD" as too risky.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the OP is mostly talking about the importance of establishing onramps, to which I completely agree and it sounds like Brian and his team are making fantastic progress with that. I'm speaking more generally to the broader marketing strategy I've pieced together from various posts on this forum.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:48:19 am by MeTHoDx »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:25:32 am by Stan »

Offline GaltReport

To what extent do you see US as the early adopters?  I'm guessing you see US as the Super Early Adopters so do you think the other early adopters are that plentiful for the taking?  Can they be pursued in parallel or is that too much to bite off?

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

BitUSD is the product and BTSX are shares in the company. I would never suggest we market BTSX over BitUSD.

Offline pariah99

• I'm so meta even this acronym.
    • View Profile

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline pariah99

• I'm so meta even this acronym.
    • View Profile
Is there a Plan B?   And im hoping you guys are not going all in with this plan.

He said that they are working with multiple other entities to secure a pathway to be able to buy bitUSD directly as well as to sell bitUSD for fiat; all the eggs are not in one basket.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

That's what I call true marketing effort!

I watched the first 30 seconds. An argument against democracy/decentralization if I ever saw one.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Hey guys.   

Thanks! B

That's what I call true marketing effort!

give 'em a break, could be this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl6DizyZgFY

(btw I do think adam has a point we need to address - the lack of "educational" / "early-adopter" / "smart money" marketing material, which brian's team seems to treat as just another demographic to be pushed through a funnel. We'll see how it plays it.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:09:44 pm by toast »
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Hey guys.   

Thanks! B

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:01:54 pm by tonyk »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
There might be Plans B-Z for all we know, but they're as confidential as Plan A.

Offline Riverhead

I think it's hilarious that people are critical of a plan they know nothing about. How many different ways can one say, "I don't know what you guys have planned but I'd do it differently and with better people" :P

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Is there a Plan B?   And im hoping you guys are not going all in with this plan.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile

I believe this is it:

As for transparency, we are not sharing all the details of how or where we're going to get all the new users we expect to see into our system, or precisely what we are doing, for obvious reasons.  No one in the industry is doing what we are attempting to do
Thanks! B
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Hey guys.   

Thanks! B

Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline cube

• View Profile
I love the part on building the necessary basic "infrastructure" before any big marketing push.  Getting the "outside" layman to come in is difficult without a direct link from dollar to btsx/bitusd.  Thanks for the incredible work.   +5%

Offline CalabiYau

Offline James212

• View Profile
Thanks for the update Brian.  Looking forward to the results. 
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Riverhead

anyway... I am pretty confident in Brians efforts and I have a feeling the whole dev team is pretty amazed about what is coming next .. (disclaimer, I'm NOT part of the dev team!)

The devs I met with are very excited both by what marketing has planned and the caliber of talent that Brian is working with. (I also am not on the dev team but I can bribe them with pints of IPA :D)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I continue to be impressed with what they have planned. Can't wait to see this in action...but I will (wait)!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:07:29 pm by donkeypong »

Offline Sonny Jim

• View Profile
+5%

BTSX+toolkit license states: "This is free and unencumbered software [..] anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or distribute this software, either in source code form or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any means."

BTSX is very open. Our competitive edge is marketing, so keeping it under wraps is understandable.

Good to hear.  Sounds like this is really what's needed at this point vs more technical features.

If what you're saying is that we should give the developers a vacation, I disagree  :D

No, just thinking of the focus.  I keep reading posts asking about marketing and how important it is at this point and concern about losing out to less technically sound solutions.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Good to hear.  Sounds like this is really what's needed at this point vs more technical features.

If what you're saying is that we should give the developers a vacation, I disagree  :D
I agree with disagreeing  ??? !

anyway... I am pretty confident in Brians efforts and I have a feeling the whole dev team is pretty amazed about what is coming next .. (disclaimer, I'm NOT part of the dev team!)

Offline roadscape

+5%

BTSX+toolkit license states: "This is free and unencumbered software [..] anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or distribute this software, either in source code form or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any means."

BTSX is very open. Our competitive edge is marketing, so keeping it under wraps is understandable.

http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline matt608

• View Profile

Offline Sonny Jim

• View Profile
Hey guys.   

Thanks! B

Offline julian

• View Profile
Great ideas. I'd like to step back and add some key points to Brian's post.... it's important to note, in order to see the biggest growth in BitSharesX user base, and market cap, is to successfully bring in hundreds of thousands of new investors who have not yet made the leap to any crypto-currencies, Bitcoin included. For the non-technical, even Bitcoin is still difficult to purchase. Which remains a huge barrier to entry in getting newbies into the wonderful world of crypto, even when they already want to.

Solving this issue means hurdling some pretty large technical and communication issues. Which we've done and it's being built now. Tying the launch of this campaign to an event or BitSharesX announcement is a great idea, but (1) we're more interested in the larger pool of people currently OUTSIDE the crypto world and (2) we will most likely launch this as soon as we possibly can.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Hey guys.   

Thanks! B
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:01:43 pm by MktDirector »