Author Topic: Is voting safe?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I remember the first time I voted watching all the shares leave and then that long pause as you "hope" they come back. It felt very scary but I have never had a problem with it.

Lol. Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
I remember the first time I voted watching all the shares leave and then that long pause as you "hope" they come back. It felt very scary but I have never had a problem with it.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Thank you Xeroc as always!!

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I believe the only thing unsafe is accidentally typing wrong account info when sending yourself coins... you will lose them if you send to wrong address... that is the only thing really risky but this applies with any transaction in any coin.
and that does not happend if you click on "vote now" :)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I believe the only thing unsafe is accidentally typing wrong account info when sending yourself coins... you will lose them if you send to wrong address... that is the only thing really risky but this applies with any transaction in any coin.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Sorry I got lost now...Why voting might be considered not secure? The way I do it is I vote for people I know (c50 - 70 delegates I think) and which is below 101 since many of the delegates I don't know who they are. Also some of the delegates I vote are not on the 101. Then I press the button "vote all".
All you say is correct :)

Since I am not voting for 101 I have the message that I am not voting with my whole balance. Is this a risk? Should I vote at least 101 even if it is people I don't know?
It's just a information that you are not "using" your full voting "power" ... which you would if you voted for >101 delegates :)

Do I correctly press "vote all"?
All fine! if you go to your transaction history you will certainly see a transaction moving ALL your stake in the account from which you are voting .. that means you successfully votes ... the "vote now" button is doing nothing more than move ALL your funds back to yourself :)

Should I vote and press that button everytime I make a transaction or I can just do it once and it is ok?
Voting happens automatically when you do ANY transaction on the network in BTS ..
if you changed something in your prefered delegate set .. than you should revote with all your stake .. i.e. press the "vote now" button :)

P.S. Voting is complicated I think..
I tried to summaries something over in the wiki:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/DPOS/ApprovalVoting

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Sorry I got lost now...Why voting might be considered not secure? The way I do it is I vote for people I know (c50 - 70 delegates I think) and which is below 101 since many of the delegates I don't know who they are. Also some of the delegates I vote are not on the 101. Then I press the button "vote all".

Since I am not voting for 101 I have the message that I am not voting with my whole balance. Is this a risk? Should I vote at least 101 even if it is people I don't know?

Do I correctly press "vote all"?

Should I vote and press that button everytime I make a transaction or I can just do it once and it is ok?

P.S. Voting is complicated I think..

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks for clarrifying a bit. I believe I saw some posts that said that voting is potentially dangerous right now. Is there a reason why?
It not dangerous in the terms of losing funds in the progress .. it is currently not easy to do it in a safe way such that "cold storage" keys cannot be compromised ...

some future release will have a separate key for voting that cannot withdraw you funds (except the tx fee) and thus its going to be alot more secure to vote from coldstorage

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
do it like this:

Choose whichever delwgates you like and vote them up ..

Move like 100bts from your account to yourself ... the funda should reappear after 10 secs ... now you voted with 10 bts ... if you feel comfortable .. just use a larger amount until you move the Whole stake at once ...

Make sure to not mistype your OWN accountname

Also ... every tx cost a tx fee .. you can go down to as low as 0.1 in the preferences .. any lower will fail

Thanks for clarrifying a bit. I believe I saw some posts that said that voting is potentially dangerous right now. Is there a reason why?
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
do it like this:

Choose whichever delwgates you like and vote them up ..

Move like 100bts from your account to yourself ... the funda should reappear after 10 secs ... now you voted with 10 bts ... if you feel comfortable .. just use a larger amount until you move the Whole stake at once ...

Make sure to not mistype your OWN accountname

Also ... every tx cost a tx fee .. you can go down to as low as 0.1 in the preferences .. any lower will fail

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Voting is safe for several versions .. doing it on a regular basis

There is 0 chance of it making my funds unrecoverable?
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Voting is safe for several versions .. doing it on a regular basis

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
Is it safe to vote on the current client or can it screw everything up? Should I wait until the next version to vote for delegates?