Author Topic: "Bitshares is decentralized Ripple"  (Read 7068 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
IMO we should concentrate on our product features, focus on  (USP) and then communicate just objective benefits to the public.
I'm really not a big fan of comparing to *competitors* like ripple, cause i'm not seeing us as!
Our Target group and direction is completely contrary IMO.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:42:54 am by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline fuzzy

Except when the client software is polished and everything is said and done it is going to be the master of many...and is already beginning to shape up that way. 

Please tell me of one tech that offers what BitShares does and does it better.  I'd like to hear about it.  The ONLY weak point up to this point has been marketing...and that has nothing to do with the tech.

The operative word being when. I believe BitShares is the very best solution available, but this constant attempt to portray it as a better solution than every existing solution doesn't help adoption. The simple fact is, Ripple has been around for years. It might be centralized, it might be a giant house of IOU cards, it might well be flawed but it's technology that's in the field and has a number of bricks and mortar financial institutions backing it.

BitShares might well offer all the functionality of Ripple and Bitcoin combined, but the fact is Ripple and Bitcoin are seen as distinct technologies. As if Ripple or Bitcoin in isolation weren't confusing enough, the average individual will find reconciling both feature-sets under one roof a real challenge.

People need a bite-size features that encapsulates the benefits of BitShares while highlighting the flaws in current competitors and that is BitUSD (assets), deterministic confirmation times and yield. They don't want to know about delegates, they don't care about distributed exchanges - the Apple experience is paramount.

Sure, you can explore how deep the rabbit hole goes if you want, but a majority don't want to.  Trying to make BitShares everything to everyone just adds confusion and will cause people to dismiss it.

I see your point.  I think that would have been the merit of having multiple DACs that eventually all grew into "SuperDACs".  I also believe we moved too quickly in the "merger"; our timing was off. 

It is interesting how now we are facing the same obstacles the freedom movement faces on every other front:  decentralization of power makes enemies of the powerful.  In order to beat the powerful with a decentralization movement, you have to be able to teach people, inspire them and move them. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline emailtooaj

"Bitshares causes a splash, not a ripple!" Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
Bitshares is a product that can help solve issues in an advance way .

Who needs label ?

Everyone can benefit from using BitShares . Even Ripple lovers .

Joint us , BitShares can help you solve problems  :P
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline questionsquestions

• View Profile
Except when the client software is polished and everything is said and done it is going to be the master of many...and is already beginning to shape up that way. 

Please tell me of one tech that offers what BitShares does and does it better.  I'd like to hear about it.  The ONLY weak point up to this point has been marketing...and that has nothing to do with the tech.

The operative word being when. I believe BitShares is the very best solution available, but this constant attempt to portray it as a better solution than every existing solution doesn't help adoption. The simple fact is, Ripple has been around for years. It might be centralized, it might be a giant house of IOU cards, it might well be flawed but it's technology that's in the field and has a number of bricks and mortar financial institutions backing it.

BitShares might well offer all the functionality of Ripple and Bitcoin combined, but the fact is Ripple and Bitcoin are seen as distinct technologies. As if Ripple or Bitcoin in isolation weren't confusing enough, the average individual will find reconciling both feature-sets under one roof a real challenge.

People need a bite-size features that encapsulates the benefits of BitShares while highlighting the flaws in current competitors and that is BitUSD (assets), deterministic confirmation times and yield. They don't want to know about delegates, they don't care about distributed exchanges - the Apple experience is paramount.

Sure, you can explore how deep the rabbit hole goes if you want, but a majority don't want to.  Trying to make BitShares everything to everyone just adds confusion and will cause people to dismiss it.

Offline fuzzy

Honestly, is it really necessary to advertise BitShares as a competitor to *yet another* crypto product? Can't the development team just buckle down and get the many outstanding issues fixed and concentrate on growing useful products like BitUSD?

This "me too, me too" is making BitShares look like an uncoordinated mess. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline questionsquestions

• View Profile
Honestly, is it really necessary to advertise BitShares as a competitor to *yet another* crypto product? Can't the development team just buckle down and get the many outstanding issues fixed and concentrate on growing useful products like BitUSD?

This "me too, me too" is making BitShares look like an uncoordinated mess. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline fuzzy

I would agree, but even by that measure BTS is far better than Ripple...and will only get better over time.

BTS share distribution is quite good actually.  Bytemaster controls less percent of the total than Satoshi has of Bitcoin.  (And Ripple has the worst distribution, with most of the shares belonging to the creators and ripple labs, so thats not even in the same ballpark).

100% agreed.  The distribution is (to me) very good--or else I wouldn't be here--but many will disagree with me outside the bitshares ecosystem. 

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I would agree, but even by that measure BTS is far better than Ripple...and will only get better over time.

BTS share distribution is quite good actually.  Bytemaster controls less percent of the total than Satoshi has of Bitcoin.  (And Ripple has the worst distribution, with most of the shares belonging to the creators and ripple labs, so thats not even in the same ballpark).
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

"Bitshares is decentralized Ripple" is a message that we need to promote, imo.
Credit for this idea goes to Toast.

Ripple is the hot thing right now, but bitcoiners hate it because it helps the same old centralized banking system to succeed. 

This is the message that we could use to win over some bitcoin folks.

(I even think it is true, or I should say, will be true once all the bitshares features are implemented!)

Terrible marketing. Do you realize that casual users really dislike the distribution of XRP? The last thing you need is to associate Bitshares with Ripple. I cringed when I read that quote from a newbie perspective.

Doesn't "decentralization" heavily imply decentralization of stake?

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Terrible marketing. Do you realize that casual users really dislike the distribution of XRP? The last thing you need is to associate Bitshares with Ripple. I cringed when I read that quote from a newbie perspective.

This is exactly what I was getting at with the idea.

We need to market Bitshares as similar to ripple, but also without the flaws of ripple, such as the overcentralization of the coin supply.

Given your reaction, its clear that it would need to be presented in the right way.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
Last time we made the slogan "BitShares does for business what Bitcoin did for money" when bitcoin was still in the afterglow of their biggest rally, and everyone thought it would be great marketing. Then after the bitcoin price crashed, everyone thought the slogan brought bad connotations to BitShares. Let's make sure that doesn't happen again.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
The interest in Ripple at this stage is either speculative or laced with monopolistic ambition. 

The last thing we should do is associate BitShares with this system.  BitShares will stand or fall on it's own merit.  No other system is analogous with DPOS.

BitShares is profitable freedom.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
"Bitshares is decentralized Ripple" is a message that we need to promote, imo.
Credit for this idea goes to Toast.

Ripple is the hot thing right now, but bitcoiners hate it because it helps the same old centralized banking system to succeed. 

This is the message that we could use to win over some bitcoin folks.

(I even think it is true, or I should say, will be true once all the bitshares features are implemented!)

Doesn't "decentralization" heavily imply decentralization of stake?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.