Author Topic: About Bitshares and the Network Effect - A call to arms.  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
In my opinion the big marking push should be held off for a while. The crypto ecosystem is in a recession and people aren't buying altcoins very much. Even Bitcoin is losing market cap despite spending a lot of money on funding with the Bitcoin Bowl.

In my opinion why not save up money for a proper advertisement campaign when the time is right? Why not a period of increased interest or for the next crypto bubble? Why not wait for 1.0 to be released and tested at least?

If anything we wait for 1.0 we need a coordinated campaign and to have the delegates up and running and being generating income before 1.0 comes out so we can do a splash.

The problem is that our "splash" may be coinciding with the Ethereum launch.  We'd be going toe to toe for market attention.  Given how effective their marketing has been, I think we would do well to avoid such unfortunate timing. 

Our main weapon on the marketing front is the "first mover advantage" which we are rapidly loosing.  It is true that our product may be better- who knows, but in the short to medium term, the market may not care.  Given that not many people understand these technologies in the first place, the market will tend to gravitate to where the buzz is, thus the concern.   It is much harder work to play catch up that it is to not get yourself in that position in the first place.

Of course, the combined splash of BitShares and Ethereum is likely to set off a new round of crypto-optimism that will break the current crypto bear market.  A rising tide raises all boats!

Let's embrace the wave ethereum will be making and ride the crest to a 2x gain from that alone.

The pie is about to grow much bigger.  Let's not begrudge all the other pie-bakers getting a nice pig piece too.

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
In my opinion the big marking push should be held off for a while. The crypto ecosystem is in a recession and people aren't buying altcoins very much. Even Bitcoin is losing market cap despite spending a lot of money on funding with the Bitcoin Bowl.

In my opinion why not save up money for a proper advertisement campaign when the time is right? Why not a period of increased interest or for the next crypto bubble? Why not wait for 1.0 to be released and tested at least?

If anything we wait for 1.0 we need a coordinated campaign and to have the delegates up and running and being generating income before 1.0 comes out so we can do a splash.

The problem is that our "splash" may be coinciding with the Ethereum launch.  We'd be going toe to toe for market attention.  Given how effective their marketing has been, I think we would do well to avoid such unfortunate timing. 

Our main weapon on the marketing front is the "first mover advantage" which we are rapidly loosing.  It is true that our product may be better- who knows, but in the short to medium term, the market may not care.  Given that not many people understand these technologies in the first place, the market will tend to gravitate to where the buzz is, thus the concern.   It is much harder work to play catch up that it is to not get yourself in that position in the first place.

+5%

That first mover advantage is rapidly slipping away, and in the lightning fast world of crypto, it may well already be gone. Action is needed, and quick.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:48:45 pm by nomoreheroes7 »

Offline James212

• View Profile

BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline James212

• View Profile
Why are you in a panic over ethereum?

They have a sizable budget, already well established brand recognition, and formidable marketing.  The ability to communicate and market a product is one of the only real defining powers in the open-source business.  I wouldn't under estimate it. 
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
I agree with the opinion expressed in the OP.

I came across this, just to give a general idea of the massive amount of work going on in Ethereum right now.

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/1634/tutorial-1-your-first-contract

From the comments, it looks like it still might be buggy.  But I think the post show the seriousness of the project development and the potential to attract large numbers of developers into this programming sandbox when it goes live.

Edit: spelling

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
1、Don't mix business with politics . People won't like the idea that this product is somehow go viral inspired by a politician .

2、It's not his original word . The phrase is from ancient China .

Ok will take it out.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
1、Don't mix business with politics . People won't like the idea that this product is somehow go viral inspired by a politician .

2、It's not his original word . The phrase is from ancient China .
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
How do you come to 30,000 users?  Users tend to have multiple accounts, that combined with an estimation of real users on the forum Id say we have closer to 5000.  Don't get me wrong, Id love to see proof that it's higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have said accounts I am sorry.  Though this is just a side issue and not the most important aspect of the post.

We need anyone and everyone making a thread on this forum saying "I want a delegate for xx and yy"

All good - it's just kind of a point I've been interested in.

I think your proposal to get more delegates in is right on target.
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
How do you come to 30,000 users?  Users tend to have multiple accounts, that combined with an estimation of real users on the forum Id say we have closer to 5000.  Don't get me wrong, Id love to see proof that it's higher

I should have said accounts I am sorry.  Though this is just a side issue and not the most important aspect of the post.

We need anyone and everyone making a thread on this forum saying "I want a delegate for xx and yy"

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Read his whole post, he said weekly uniques in the client is on the order of 500.
He should have said "accounts" instead of "users", yes.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
I dont know if anyone other than the circle of programmers knows what is going to be released on March 20 with Ethereum but if they have a web wallet we are done for.

What exactly does Ethereum bring to the table that Bitshares hasn't already got? Looking as an outside observer, it would seem it's an entirely untested alt-coin that tries to do "everything" with it's introduction of a Turing complete scripting language, but will most likely crash horribly after an initial pump and dump frenzy. This has been the case for *every* alt-coin so far - including Bitshares.

The problem is that even if Ethereum is ground breaking, there is no way it's going to find mass adoption unless it's demonstrably bug free and offers all the ancillary services that have built up around the incumbent Bitcoin, as well as features Bitcoin does not, such as asset stability.

Bitshares has significant advantage over Ethereum, you guys actually have a demonstrable Market Peg for BitUSD that has (so far) held within a narrow tolerance, a reasonably mature API, a better, faster consensus mechanism through DPoS, deterministic fast block times and a mechanism for ensuring network congruence during hard-forks (101 Delegates) - in other words an upgrade mechanism.

Ethereum has nothing but ephemeral promises at this point, so I wouldn't start the wailing and lamentations at the temple just yet.

All you need is some on-ramps/off-ramps (most important) and secondly an idiot proof a web-wallet wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling.

Ethereum was funded with $18 million where bitshares was funded with $4.8 million.  Ethereum spent a lot of money on advertising and probably has a good amount left.  If what I think correct is about to happen, is Ethereum is about to take bitshares thunder because they just have the might.  This could be a David vs Goliath where Goliath wins.  Remember David just got a lucky shot.

Offline questionsquestions

• View Profile
I dont know if anyone other than the circle of programmers knows what is going to be released on March 20 with Ethereum but if they have a web wallet we are done for.

What exactly does Ethereum bring to the table that Bitshares hasn't already got? Looking as an outside observer, it would seem it's an entirely untested alt-coin that tries to do "everything" with it's introduction of a Turing complete scripting language, but will most likely crash horribly after an initial pump and dump frenzy. This has been the case for *every* alt-coin so far - including Bitshares.

The problem is that even if Ethereum is ground breaking, there is no way it's going to find mass adoption unless it's demonstrably bug free and offers all the ancillary services that have built up around the incumbent Bitcoin, as well as features Bitcoin does not, such as asset stability.

Bitshares has significant advantage over Ethereum, you guys actually have a demonstrable Market Peg for BitUSD that has (so far) held within a narrow tolerance, a reasonably mature API, a better, faster consensus mechanism through DPoS, deterministic fast block times and a mechanism for ensuring network congruence during hard-forks (101 Delegates) - in other words an upgrade mechanism.

Ethereum has nothing but ephemeral promises at this point, so I wouldn't start the wailing and lamentations at the temple just yet.

All you need is some on-ramps/off-ramps (most important) and secondly an idiot proof a web-wallet wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling.