Author Topic: How much is the cost of 51% attack against DPOS compared to POS or POW?  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Riverhead

Not sure about the others but for a DPOS attack you'd need currently about 9.3% of supply so you could vote in all your own candidates. Currently that's about $3.5MM worth of BTS. Though I'm sure buying nearly 10% of the total supply would put some upward pressure on the price :).
he ask DPOS not BTS .  there are totally different
like cost of 51% attack of POS, theory you should have 51% coin ,but many coin didn`t join forge ,like NXT  so there are different
You are correct. My bad.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
in fact, techically speaking at this moment you don't need 51% of stake to attack BTS, 16% are enough. if you have that much stake you can vote all of your 101 delegates in, which means you take full control of the whole dpos network since right now the delegate which gains most votes is only supported by less than 16% stake. when you do so, you can have all of your delegates disabled block production.

or with a 10% stake you can control over the half of delegates and sign on a alternative "main" chain (?)

yes, I think so. with 10% stake you can control 57 delegates at this moment, then reject all the blocks signed by the rest 44 delegates and also exclude the transactions which don't vote for you. but we are only talking about this technically.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
in fact, techically speaking at this moment you don't need 51% of stake to attack BTS, 16% are enough. if you have that much stake you can vote all of your 101 delegates in, which means you take full control of the whole dpos network since right now the delegate which gains most votes is only supported by less than 16% stake. when you do so, you can have all of your delegates disabled block production.

or with a 10% stake you can control over the half of delegates and sign on a alternative "main" chain (?)

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
... though "malicious" stake can be frozen in a hard fork ..
i don't know much about nxt, would a hard fork with malicious stake frozen solve the attack to nxt ?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
... though "malicious" stake can be frozen in a hard fork ..

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
Not sure about the others but for a DPOS attack you'd need currently about 9.3% of supply so you could vote in all your own candidates. Currently that's about $3.5MM worth of BTS. Though I'm sure buying nearly 10% of the total supply would put some upward pressure on the price :).
he ask DPOS not BTS .  there are totally different
like cost of 51% attack of POS, theory you should have 51% coin ,but many coin didn`t join forge ,like NXT  so there are different
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:47:35 am by BTSdac »
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline Riverhead

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
I read an article about DPOS vs POW and POS. In this article, bytemaster stated that 51% cost on DPOS is higher than other POS or POW, but I'm still wondering whether there is a specific numbers about it. Can someone explain about it and provide specific numbers?
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop