If you dont know about Patreon, it is a site that allows artists/devs/content creators to register, and then other people can pledge to be a patron for them, by sending them $X per month. For example, if you really love someone's youtube videos, or their open source software, or whatever, you can pledge to send them $2 a month, or $10, or 50 cents, or whatever.
How Bitshares could do this:
* Content creators register a BTS account and post their BTS name.
* In Bitshares there is a command to become the patron of someone. For example, you would execute a command "Every month, send 2 bitUSD to (account name)". Instead of every month, it could be "every X blocks", where that would make it approximately a month. Or whatever time frame you want.
* When the block number rolled aorund, Bitshares would automatically create a transaction for you, sending that much bitUSD to that person, if you had enough bitUSD. (Alternately, you could set aside bitUSD for this purpose?)
* The blockchain could charge a small fee for the service. For example, 99% could be sent to the person you are being the patron of, and 1% could be burned by the blockchain. (Since we are talking about bitAssets, the blockchain could issue an automatic market order to conver bitUSD into BTS, then burn the BTS).
1) Another use case for Bitshares. People who would otherwise use Patreon would create BTS accounts, people who wanted to support them would create BTS accounts. This could be a marketing tool, as anyone using Bitshares to get patronage would be telling people about Bitshares.
2) Greater demand for bitAssets.
3) BTS would be burned, helping the blockchain be profitable. Alternately, it could be a no-fee service, or very low fee, so that it competes with Patreon in fees.