Author Topic: what percentage of community members have short positions on the DEX?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
And just to make it clear, I understand the risks of a leveraged position.
Also make sure you have some BTS left to buy back the asset .. because you CANNOT use your leverage to close your position .. leverage can only be used for margin calls and when short expires ..

great point...i like to keep at least 20% of my BTS balance free for covering shorts.

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
Also make sure you have some BTS left to buy back the asset .. because you CANNOT use your leverage to close your position .. leverage can only be used for margin calls and when short expires ..

Yes xeroc, I've read it somewhere in here so I was aware of that fact, but thanks for the reminder, I won't forget!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
Will open shorts be rolled over from 0.9.2 to BTS 2.0?
Yes they will. .. and there will be a 30 day period for notice and reposition yourself in the dex prior to the pitch fork

I would like to have some input of experienced shorters on the best way to start doing it? I'm not afraid of risk, but I still want to be able to cover my short at any time. What would be a good starting point? (in % of the total stake shorted)
you can only cover your short at 'any time' if there is someone selling .. otherwise your short will expire and the client will put a buy order at the price feed .. that is what you can see in the BTS:bitUSD market .. the buy wall is made up of expired shorts .. mainly ..

although there is a trick to rolling shorts forward by buying your own new short and using the funds to cover your expiring position. Just place simultaneous buy and short orders for equivalent amounts and prices (in btw the highest bid and lowest ask, so there are no other buyers/sellers). this is only if you want to roll your short forward another 30 days, not if you want to actually close out the net position.

Thanks guys! I'll try it out with a small part of my stake first to get the hang of it. As I'm getting more familiar with the process and BTS 2.0 release approaches I'll probably increase my leverage. I wouldn't want to miss out the opportunity to increase my stake when the world realize the importance of BTS 2.0, and I'll be more than happy to help increasing bitAssets liquidity.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Yes they will. .. and there will be a 30 day period for notice and reposition yourself in the dex prior to the pitch fork

I would like to have some input of experienced shorters on the best way to start doing it? I'm not afraid of risk, but I still want to be able to cover my short at any time. What would be a good starting point? (in % of the total stake shorted)
you can only cover your short at 'any time' if there is someone selling .. otherwise your short will expire and the client will put a buy order at the price feed .. that is what you can see in the BTS:bitUSD market .. the buy wall is made up of expired shorts .. mainly ..

although there is a trick to rolling shorts forward by buying your own new short and using the funds to cover your expiring position. Just place simultaneous buy and short orders for equivalent amounts and prices (in btw the highest bid and lowest ask, so there are no other buyers/sellers). this is only if you want to roll your short forward another 30 days, not if you want to actually close out the net position.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

I haven't shorted once yet but as my stake is growing and my understanding of the process increases I'm getting more interested in shorting and helping create liquidity on the market. I don't think I could get margin called right now with enough collateral because of the price being so low, it can only get a little lower or a lot higher. I think the next few months will be a good time to be leveraged.

Thanks for the input!

if you're just trying to wade into the shorting business to test it out, i'd recommend using something like 25% of your BTS as collateral and if you can try to time-phase your shorts, maybe doing a new position every week and closing out positions once they hit the 3 week mark.

i agree that now could be an excellent time to pick up some leverage...

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

I haven't shorted once yet but as my stake is growing and my understanding of the process increases I'm getting more interested in shorting and helping create liquidity on the market. I don't think I could get margin called right now with enough collateral because of the price being so low, it can only get a little lower or a lot higher. I think the next few months will be a good time to be leveraged.

Thanks for the input!

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
A little reflexion ; if I wasn't interested in shorting I wouldn't probably have click on this topic to see its content.

I think the result of the poll won't be representatif at all ! A big part of the reader of this topic are interested by the subject and are short already.

that's even worse, then...

Offline EstefanTT

A little reflexion ; if I wasn't interested in shorting I wouldn't probably have click on this topic to see its content.

I think the result of the poll won't be representatif at all ! A big part of the reader of this topic are interested by the subject and are short already.
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Since CyclonMaker explained to me how simple it was, I'm short on BitUSD.

Here is the topic with the explanation : https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17407.0.html

Same reasons as CyclonMaker and agree with him. We have to short to create liquididy and improve our product.
That will attract more people in, the price will go up and we'll win more with our increased exposure. It's a win win !

awesome, glad i could help :)

i completely agree with your shorting philosophy...shorting creates our core products and we should be nicely rewarded in time as BTS becomes more valuable with their adoption. our network sure can use demand on both the long and short side of the bitassets trades. right now brainstorming venture concepts that boost bitasset demand and supply is my biggest priority. in the meantime, i'm happy to use my own funds to support the market.
Do you mind sharing the different ideas you've come up with so far? I'd like to help
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Here is the topic with the explanation : https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17407.0.html

Same reasons as CyclonMaker and agree with him. We have to short to create liquididy and improve our product.
That will attract more people in, the price will go up and we'll win more with our increased exposure. It's a win win !

awesome, glad i could help :)

i completely agree with your shorting philosophy...shorting creates our core products and we should be nicely rewarded in time as BTS becomes more valuable with their adoption. our network sure can use demand on both the long and short side of the bitassets trades. right now brainstorming venture concepts that boost bitasset demand and supply is my biggest priority. in the meantime, i'm happy to use my own funds to support the market.

Offline EstefanTT

Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Not leveraging, but hodling as many BTS as I can.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
i'm actively shorting bitUSD, bitCNY, bitSILVER, and bitGOLD ...my volume in that order. i'm doing it not just to leverage my BTS bets, but also because it's the best way to promote the entire network; bitassets are our products and we have to short them to create them.