Author Topic: The 2.0 launch - lessons learned  (Read 4623 times)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I think the fact that we have a bad ass mutable block chain and that it took us less than two days to respond to our first spam attack should go in the win column.

Immutable, surely?

I most certainly did not speak clearly.  The block chain itself most certainly immutable.  The parameters of the live network mutable.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline nickelback70

• View Profile
There are definitely a lot of experts in the tech and economic fields in Bitshares, but their appears to be no expert teachers stepping up to show how it works to the AVERAGE non-coder, non-trader person.

I agree 100%. 

For average guys like me who are new to Bitshares you must have clear, concise educational tools to inspire confidence and usage.

Cryptocurrency is a new science for most people, much like learning a foreign language.  We must understand the benefits of investing our money in  a safe and secure environment.

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
Good points on things learned.. UI is only a framework and rightly so.. the refer program is to bring in competition.. now the stage has been set.. cue the heros to appear with various wallet solutions, and more on/off ramps. For now we just need to break in this amazing network.

Exchanges and volume. We have to reach out to the exchanges in a professional and coordinated way.

But first we need to have a GUI that looks and feels like an exchange and not a BTS wallet with a mediocre exchange page attached to it.
So I guess I'd agree with Ander: we waited for 2.0 for so long and now we need to wait again, this time for 2.1 which will offer a proper GUI.
Ideally available in two incarnations: (1) a BTS wallet with an integrated exchange and (2) an exchange with an integrated BTS wallet.

A little frustrating, but i think thats true.

Maybe moonstone can save us from that. (Or is that just wishful thinking?  :-\)

Offline Average Guy on Street

• View Profile
There are definitely a lot of experts in the tech and economic fields in Bitshares, but their appears to be no expert teachers stepping up to show how it works to the AVERAGE non-coder, non-trader person.

Offline Average Guy on Street

• View Profile
I really hope an expert teacher will come along to produce a series of instructional videos to teach how the AVERAGE person can get into Bitshares -> from changing their fiat to crypto - >to setting up a Bitshares wallet -> to becoming a successful investor through the Bitshares Market. Teaching all the critical terminology/concepts of each step along the way.

I expected Bitshares TV to do this, however it only ended up being a buzz word marketing effort.

In my opinion Great Educational Resources along with Simple UX design are the most important factors for user adoption.

Offline MJK

• View Profile
Good points on things learned.. UI is only a framework and rightly so.. the refer program is to bring in competition.. now the stage has been set.. cue the heros to appear with various wallet solutions, and more on/off ramps. For now we just need to break in this amazing network.

Exchanges and volume. We have to reach out to the exchanges in a professional and coordinated way.

But first we need to have a GUI that looks and feels like an exchange and not a BTS wallet with a mediocre exchange page attached to it.
So I guess I'd agree with Ander: we waited for 2.0 for so long and now we need to wait again, this time for 2.1 which will offer a proper GUI.
Ideally available in two incarnations: (1) a BTS wallet with an integrated exchange and (2) an exchange with an integrated BTS wallet.

A little frustrating, but i think thats true.

jakub

Offline MJK

• View Profile

Offline monsterer

I think the fact that we have a bad ass mutable block chain and that it took us less than two days to respond to our first spam attack should go in the win column.

Immutable, surely?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

jakub

Yes, I agree.
The list of things that have gone wrong is relatively short but the list of things that could have gone wrong is quite unlimited.
That's why I think that it's been a success that we should appreciate: so many things could have gone wrong but only a few of them actually did.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
So...waiting for 2.1 is the new waiting for 2.0 now? :P

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
The back end is great and super fast and that's your base.

Other lessons learned:

It looks like the exchange upgrade to 2.0 might not have been properly co-ordinated?  Failing at the relatively simple task (by comparison to the time and effort to create Graphene, establish partnerships etc.) of emailing & confirming exchanges were ready for the upgrade to 2.0 would not be good.

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Thom

+5% The OP is spot on IMO.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html