Author Topic: [ANN] reverse-engineer of MMC (GPU) miner  (Read 12151 times)

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
How much faster is the MMC GPU miner than the best CPU miner out there, though?

Dunno. I haven't used it or looked further into it, since I don't know the source, and folks here have strongly disapproved of reverse-compiling it (etc.), and I've reluctantly concluded that's probably right and best.
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline dga

• View Profile

I'd like to add that the approach I speculate (hard-coded donation mining), if done for, say, six months, would probably net reorder far more than a salary and/or voluntary donations (depending on how widely the re-coded miner is adopted).

Did I hear an offer for donations for another open-source currency miner?  <grins>

I've been looking a bit at MMC since FreeTrade pointed me at it.  Do-able.  Takes some work to get it to be fast.  I could even go to the dark side and make one for AMD. :p

How much faster is the MMC GPU miner than the best CPU miner out there, though?  I assume that might be Yam M7j.  The AES component adds an interesting twist to MMC.

-Dave

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
[At the risk of being overly blathering]

!

I'd like to add that the approach I speculate (hard-coded donation mining), if done for, say, six months, would probably net reorder far more than a salary and/or voluntary donations (depending on how widely the re-coded miner is adopted).

!

OR:

reorder, you could open-source it under those terms: with a statement that it will mine for 1.25 hours to your donation address every day, and code it to do so. I'd totally mine with that. "breaking" proof-of-work momentum for GPUs had a high bounty associated with it, and this miner if widely adopted will probably produce a lot of value for everyone . . . it would also make it easier for the PTS devs to adjust the algorithm against whatever advantages you discovered . . .
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
. . . If the dev is looking to be compensated for their work then maybe the community can buy it from him. Or maybe the Board could purchase or license it from them. Maybe for a percentage of the salary the board makes for x amount of time could be given to the dev so that they can open up the source.

Or reverse-compile -> reverse-engineer it -> re-code it with a hard-coded directive within the miner to mine to the original author's donation address for an hour and fifteen minutes out of every day (equals five percent of earnings), maybe from midnight to 1:15 AM. This would be a compromise between totally inappropriate piracy and generosity. Call it benevolent anarchy.

As for redirecting where the miner mines at (with the hosts file), D'OH! So obvious! Ha! Brilliant.

And as for donating from one of the MMC executive salaries to reorder, I may vote for that with what pittance I can muster :) BUT, as an aside: IMO, everything that a coin should have to succeed should be coded into the contracts/structure/purpose of the coin itself. I'm frankly "meh" about the positions/voting thing with MMC.

Offline Velocd

• View Profile
I'm no dev and I'm somewhat new to crypto but it seems like the gpu miner being open source would be better for the community. If the dev is looking to be compensated for their work then maybe the community can buy it from him. Or maybe the Board could purchase or license it from them. Maybe for a percentage of the salary the board makes for x amount of time could be given to the dev so that they can open up the source.

Just kind of spitballing here but I'm sure some kind of agreement could be made with the dev.

It was one of the key points of donschoe's application as CTO to use parts of the salary to buy the code from the dev. Community doesn't really care as it seems.

Makes sense. Coin was supposed to gpu resistant.

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
BTW the GPU miner works on mmcpool.com I got told, all you need to do is edit your /etc/hosts and add:
Code: [Select]
148.251.6.201 mmcpool.1gh.com

Offline seraphim

I'm no dev and I'm somewhat new to crypto but it seems like the gpu miner being open source would be better for the community. If the dev is looking to be compensated for their work then maybe the community can buy it from him. Or maybe the Board could purchase or license it from them. Maybe for a percentage of the salary the board makes for x amount of time could be given to the dev so that they can open up the source.

Just kind of spitballing here but I'm sure some kind of agreement could be made with the dev.

It was one of the key points of donschoe's application as CTO to use parts of the salary to buy the code from the dev. Community doesn't really care as it seems.
Meet you on STEEM

Offline Velocd

• View Profile

Offline seraphim

This discussion is getting out of topic.
There are lots of different opinions regarding re, intellectual property on software and resulting patents.
All those ideas of intellectual property are advocated by the same people empowering the current system. And the ones profiting of course.

I would answer that nothing is stolen, because stealing means taking something away from someone. But my opinion is not important on this issue, same with yours.

What's true: RE is illegal in some legislations, if you're living in one of those, be careful! (although I don't think the author would sue you, after what he said here)
Meet you on STEEM

Offline FaSan

• View Profile
You know this won't happen ;)
I never used closed source miners, but I can't change the world all on my own :D

And it's not right to steal code.

We can find a good developer guy and We will have OUR opensource GPU miner.

Stop now to push shit around our coin. We are good people and we don't need to steal nothing.

FaSan
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:31:41 pm by FaSan »

Offline seraphim

It's a developer choice. And you free to choice to use it or not.

I'm sorry but I really disapprove this thread.

FaSan

reorder is the author afaik, so it's kind of approved by him.

and isn't the whole crypto movement about freedom? being able to re software is very important for decentralization.

following your argument, there still would be no ntfs-support in linux...and that's just one example

we're not only fighting the established currencies, but the whole narrow-minded profit-oriented system!

Very simple choice. Leave the 1gh pool empty, and tell that we come back IF reorder will publish the code open. This can be a right way.

FaSan

You know this won't happen ;)
I never used closed source miners, but I can't change the world all on my own :D
Meet you on STEEM

Offline Velocd

• View Profile

I'm sorry but I really disapprove this thread

FaSan

and isn't the whole crypto movement about freedom? being able to re software is very important for decentralization.

following your argument, there still would be no ntfs-support in linux...and that's just one example

we're not only fighting the established currencies, but the whole narrow-minded profit-oriented system!

Very simple choice. Leave the 1gh pool empty, and tell that we come back IF reorder will publish the code open. This can be a right way.

FaSan
yeap, http://mmcpool.com/ forever!  :P

That's a CPU mining pool correct?

Offline earntodie

• View Profile

FaSan

FaSan
yeap, http://mmcpool.com/ forever!  :P
1GH CLUB!! PTS mining club - PTS.1GH.COM, MEMORY coin mining club - MMC.1GH.COM, MAX coin mining club - MAX.1GH.COM

Offline FaSan

• View Profile

FaSan

FaSan

Offline Velocd

• View Profile
I don't think decompiling the gpu miner is  appropriate since the author didn't make it open-source in the first place.

Coin is open source. CPU miner is open source. How does keeping the gpu miner source closed help the community?  Does the author also operate the pool or are they partnered with 1gh. I'm not accusing or anything, just asking questions. Gpu mining is obviously popular and quite powerful. Shouldn't more pools have access to the gpu miner? Wouldn't this ultimately help the coin and create some competition between the pools?
You are probably confusing cryptoanarchy for communism, as it seems.

I don't think so. Decentralizing the mining makes the coin more secure doesn't it? Are you trying to sell the source or something?