Author Topic: instant profits from instant settlement?  (Read 4554 times)

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
if you can buy smartcoin cheaper than feed and than setlle for a profit why isn't their a huge buy wall just under the feed price all the time?

Generally with rational market participants you shouldn't be able to buy smartcoins cheaper then the feed.  Anyone selling there is making an error, doesn't know about settlement, are in a hurry,  or they figure the price in 24hrs will move against them so much that it will be cheaper to not use settlement.

You are welcome to maintain a bid just below the feed, you simply risk 24hr price movement and the fee's involved.  As well as the possibility that your bid will never get hit, if market participants are rational and efficient.

This is why we need a function that allows you to set a buy/sell order that moves with the setllement price +/-  a deviation as a percentage.

Eg. buy at settlement feed - 2% 
or
sell at settlement feed + 2%

this would allow joe bloggs to add liquidity to all markets very easily.
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Xeldal

if you can buy smartcoin cheaper than feed and than setlle for a profit why isn't their a huge buy wall just under the feed price all the time?

Generally with rational market participants you shouldn't be able to buy smartcoins cheaper then the feed.  Anyone selling there is making an error, doesn't know about settlement, are in a hurry,  or they figure the price in 24hrs will move against them so much that it will be cheaper to not use settlement.

You are welcome to maintain a bid just below the feed, you simply risk 24hr price movement and the fee's involved.  As well as the possibility that your bid will never get hit, if market participants are rational and efficient.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
As a side note: my price feed script derives the prices going via 2 markets at most .. then the script takes the MEDIAN of the prices available .. it is NOT designed to be the most recent price bit the most fair price considering multiple markets

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
are you sure the settle price is always the settlement price(feed price)?
if yes, then when one user settle, who is his counterparty?

It should take the highest bids first, down to the feed, and then the least collateralized short.
A side note, if there are bids higher than feed price already, why bitcny holders would use settle instead of sell?
If there are active settle orders already, why place bids higher than feed price?

By the way the fee for placing a settle order is 200BTS.

I would advice add a parameter for settle price rate: settle price = feed price * rate
the rate's range can adjust from 95% to 105%, mostly it should more than 100%

and need another logic to protect shorters, if a shorter's colla rate is more than 200%,  no one can settle from him.
No need to set another parameter, just feed the settlement_price to what it should be, it's designed to should not be equal to (weighted) average exchange price.

bts's price is 0.021CNY/BTS at BTC38
but most witness give a feed price at 0.02 CNY/BTS, so the settle price is 0.02
The reason is the price feed script calculates price of bts/cny not only from btc38/yunbi, but also includes some weight by [average price of bts/btc on poloniex/bitfinex] * [average price of btc/usd on external exchanges(bitstamp and so)] * [usd/cny price from yahoo]. When prices of BTC on USD exchanges are lower than which on CNY exchanges, the bts/cny price feed will be lower than the price on btc38.

what will happen?
people sell BTS at BTC38 at price 0.021, get fiat CNY, then sell fiat CNY to transwiser, get bitCNY, then settle at the wallet, buy back BTS at price 0.02
who gets hurt? the shorters again! why we always hurt the shorters? they provide liquility, but we hurt them again and again
In this case Transwiser should charge more fees while selling bitCNY.
And Transwiser should consider it's collateral level seriously to avoid being forced settled.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

It should take the highest bids first, down to the feed, and then the least collateralized short.
@bytemaster: this is what it should do .. not sure if it is implemented that way or just calles the least collateralized position right away

Xeldal

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:47:38 am by Xeldal »

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey Tuck Fheman, here are the results of your tips...
  • ebit: has been credited 5 PERCENT
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Tuck Fheman

Xeldal

if bitUSD's holder can use settle to protect their profit, I can't find any reason why we need to set SQP to 1100 .

bitUSD holders wouldn't use settlement because they can get a better rate selling bitUSD to the market.  Settlement is only for a condition where noone is willing to sell BTS below the feed.

the reason for SQP (or something like it) is to enforce margin calls without raping the shorts due to poor liquidity.   When a position approaches being undercollateralized, at some point, it *Must find a buyer to protect the system from black swan.   SQP is just how far from the feed we are willing to go in order to find a buyer before its too late.  On any other exchange this number would be infinity% (edit: if the order triggered margin call).  They would sell the asset down to zero, if they had to, to try and prevent undercollateralization.  So 10% is not so unreasonable.  At 1% below the feed, you may never find a buyer.   Thats why I say if you're setting it to 1% you may as well not even enforce margin calls.

and then I thought you got it right at one point in the past.

What buyer? You will not find a buyer for the BTS at 10% discount on the illiquid (the DEX compared to all other markets BTS is trading) market?
And why will that be? Because of the price or because this is thin and illiquid market? So lets screw the shorts by making them pay X % above market rate. Why stop at 10% or 50% percent, lets make 250% percent...and this will be the short path to market liquidity in bitWhatever...for sure.

don't mistake my attempt at an explanation of its intention as support for its design.  I may also not have clearly stated.

I don't think we should have SQP.    I don't think it should ever be more that 10%

I think having it at 10% is ok for now.  As you said, why wouldn't someone take a 10% discount.  Though, I don't think 1%, or  0% is a good idea.  It basically turns off margin calls in a market that typically trades 8% - 10% from the feed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:49:15 am by Xeldal »

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
and do not even get me started on "protecting to 10%"...when they (shorts) cannot buy for less than 10% premium they have to pay!
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

if bitUSD's holder can use settle to protect their profit, I can't find any reason why we need to set SQP to 1100 .

bitUSD holders wouldn't use settlement because they can get a better rate selling bitUSD to the market.  Settlement is only for a condition where noone is willing to sell BTS below the feed.

the reason for SQP (or something like it) is to enforce margin calls without raping the shorts due to poor liquidity.   When a position approaches being undercollateralized, at some point, it *Must find a buyer to protect the system from black swan.   SQP is just how far from the feed we are willing to go in order to find a buyer before its too late.  On any other exchange this number would be infinity% (edit: if the order triggered margin call).  They would sell the asset down to zero, if they had to, to try and prevent undercollateralization.  So 10% is not so unreasonable.  At 1% below the feed, you may never find a buyer.   Thats why I say if you're setting it to 1% you may as well not even enforce margin calls.

and then I thought you got it right at one point in the past.

What buyer? You will not find a buyer for the BTS at 10% discount on the illiquid (the DEX compared to all other markets BTS is trading) market?
And why will that be? Because of the price or because this is thin and illiquid market? So lets screw the shorts by making them pay X % above market rate. Why stop at 10% or 50% percent, lets make 250% percent...and this will be the short path to market liquidity in bitWhatever...for sure.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:26:37 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Xeldal

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:05:00 am by Xeldal »