Author Topic: Draft Talk for NYC [VIDEO]  (Read 8154 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
This is a VERY good speech. I would end it with something punchy, a catchphrase or a call to action. Drive it home. Something like "At Bitshares, we're taking what Bitcoin has done for money and we're turning it into a profitable industry. We are creating businesses that harness the true potential the block chain. If you want to be part of this revolution, we welcome your support as a programmer, investor, marketing professional, or valued community member. Join us."

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo
Good job on getting out the draft!

Having talked with people from all different backgrounds I can assure you that when it comes to monetary policy and the theory of money it is almost a religion.  Everyone thinks they understand money and from this builds objections that are insurmountable.

Did you ever stop to think about why there is so much confusion over the nature of money?  The entire system depends upon the masses not understanding the nature of money.  Henry Ford once said:

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.”

The general population has been intentionally confused with a million conflicting ideas. 
If people don’t even agree on what money is, why it has value, or what properties are desirable in a currency, how in the world are we going to get them to understand Bitcoin or the new technologies that go beyond bitcoin?

I don't like the bit in bold. How about replacing all of that quote with:

Having talked with people from all different backgrounds I can assure you that when it comes to monetary policy and the theory of money everyone clings to their convictions. Everyone seems to think they understand money.... For instance, .. [to-the-point sentence about deflation/inflation here]

If people don’t even agree on what money is, why it has value, or what properties are desirable in a currency, how in the world are we going to get them to understand Bitcoin or the new technologies that go beyond bitcoin?

His initial response was, “Oh, I like that!  Now I understand what you are doing, but you still have the problem that it would be extremely deflationary!”   At which point I interrupted him so we could avoid going down the monetary theory rathole and reminded him, “these are shares in companies where the shareholders want to increase the equity-per-share”.   Immediately his objection was stopped in its tracks because Dave, like most people, understand stocks and what gives them value.   After all the powers that be have not spent any effort attempting to confuse the issue of stocks. For the first time, after hours of debates by the water cooler Dave and I were on the same page and all it took was a 3 minute explanation and a different metaphor.

Nice punch-graph :) Again, no need for the bold part.

+5%

Excellent speech, bytemaster. 

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
If you're worried about offending a pro-Bitcoin crowd, you may want to

- Lead with a sentence, in the 'bitcoin as a company' paragraph,  that points out what a fantastic innovation & success Bitcoin is, then say 'but as the first iteration of the technology, it's not without its flaws...

- Point out that for the value of the crypto-economy to grow that new products, services and especially DAC's need to be able to flourish but that Bitcoin is not designed to have these things built on top of it, nor would it be worth the risk to Bitcoin to do so, and therefore -
[quote ]At bitshares.org we are building many different decentralized companies 'on bespoke/individual/separate blockchains' that improve upon Bitcoin '& add value to the crypto-economy' in the only way that really matters to the market:  we make Bitcoin them profitable. We do this by minimizing expenses, maximizing utility, and returning power to the shareholders.'[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:52:22 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline bytemaster

My objective personality has a hard time catering to people's sensitivity regarding their btc investment.  Obviously I want btc to go up in the short term but I really didn't view this as btc bashing but as an attempt to understand btc more deeply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
 +5% Great stuff! 

You gave a great explanation on what an exciting improvement Bitshares is vs. Bitcoin & some of the numbers involved, but besides saying 'using proven business models...implemented in more efficient and trustworthy way' I don't think you've given them the same appetite whetting explanation/example with regards to what an exciting improvement DAC's will be over real world counterparts.

Obviously it's implied but even just mentioning specifically as you do in the opening of the Bitshares videos, something like 'imagine the potential savings in salaries, office space, equipment, utilities and other expenses plus the reduced opportunity for fraud, government interference and seizures' and then even better if you could give a specific example. 

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
'I agree with IRS' - that should go down well :D

Its very interesting how you explain Bitcoins. In your view if you have to design a currency how would you go about it? Or, since as you said, anything can be used as a currency, you wouldn't bother?

I think this quote is something you should take note of. It is made by an active member.
May be you should consider promoting the golden goose more than knocking bitcoin. Obviously this is a criticism but not meant in a harsh way. You speak well and with authority over your subject, however, you are their to make friends (investors, players) and catch some publicity. 

Most of the people you will be speaking to will be heavily invested in bitcoin and wont want to hear it knocked despite your points being correct. If i was you i would be using the time to explain what bitusd can do and then telling people if they what to learn more to visit the website.

If you still feel its necessary to knock bitcoin then at least point out that it still has the properties of gold as a store of wealth and is easier to transport. There was a quote on Bloomberg recently saying if bitcoin took 10% of the gold market it would be worth 100 times its current value. Now, if that's what bitcoin could be worth without the ability to be used easily as a currency what could bitshares be worth with the ability to carry out evey day transactions in bitusd?

however you decide to play it, good luck.  I wish i could b there.

+5%

Just a thought;

The potential issue I see is that you risk  that the majority of the audience will only hear "bitcoin competitor". I believe that the criticisms of bitcoin may be accurate, however I just do not believe that the majority of those who are listening will be able to fully grasp and appreciate this perspective. 

In my opinion use the positive points of Bitcoin to position Bitshares as a compliment to it that can only improve the ecosystem by adding stability and functionality that is needed in the market.

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
'I agree with IRS' - that should go down well :D

Its very interesting how you explain Bitcoins. In your view if you have to design a currency how would you go about it? Or, since as you said, anything can be used as a currency, you wouldn't bother?

I think this quote is something you should take note of. It is made by an active member.
May be you should consider promoting the golden goose more than knocking bitcoin. Obviously this is a criticism but not meant in a harsh way. You speak well and with authority over your subject, however, you are their to make friends (investors, players) and catch some publicity. 

Most of the people you will be speaking to will be heavily invested in bitcoin and wont want to hear it knocked despite your points being correct. If i was you i would be using the time to explain what bitusd can do and then telling people if they what to learn more to visit the website.

If you still feel its necessary to knock bitcoin then at least point out that it still has the properties of gold as a store of wealth and is easier to transport. There was a quote on Bloomberg recently saying if bitcoin took 10% of the gold market it would be worth 100 times its current value. Now, if that's what bitcoin could be worth without the ability to be used easily as a currency what could bitshares be worth with the ability to carry out evey day transactions in bitusd?

however you decide to play it, good luck.  I wish i could b there.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Very easy to consume and great metaphorical comparisons with bitcoin!  Well done.

Agreed!   ;)

indeed
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

When and where will this talk be?  I would be very happy to be in attendance.
April 8th at 10:45

http://www.mediabistro.com/insidebitcoins/new-york/speakers.asp
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

bitbro

When and where will this talk be?  I would be very happy to be in attendance.

bitbro

Publish this as a nytimes op-ed

Offline boombastic

• View Profile
    • AngelShares Explorer
+5%

http://bitshares.dacplay.org/r/boombastic
Support My Witness: mr.agsexplorer
BTC: 1Bb6V1UStz45QMAamjaX8rDjsnQnBpHvE8

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
Very easy to consume and great metaphorical comparisons with bitcoin!  Well done.

Agreed!   ;)

Offline GaltReport

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n