Author Topic: Nodeshares  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Why donate to them instead of just running a full Bitcoin node (or several) yourself?  Solves the same problem (if it is a problem) and doesn't require trusting their group, covering their overhead, or raising their profile.

Offline amatoB

• View Profile
This is why Bitcoin and other coins that don't reserve funds for developers will have problems.... they depend upon charity.

Bitcoin can handle itself... if lack of full nodes becomes a real problem then we have more to worry about than nodeshares.

I get your point, but if full nodes become a real problem it is too late already. Initiative is to solve the problem before it becomes a problem. I3 should buy nodes. It is essential to the survival of cryptocurrencies all together. As said before: I'd rather see the revolution today. Not in 2075.

Makes sense. A precipitous drop in bitcoin price could really shake the confidence of investors and would-be investors in bitshares and substantially delay buy-in into the DAC industry. No matter how different bitshares are from bitcoin, they wouldn't be immune to the effects of big price crashes in BTC (at least in the short term). As a pts/ags holder, I worry most about a BTC implosion that would take down the whole sector....

It depends on if there is a fiat exchange and ATMs. If there is then people will be buying. BTC shouldn't be the center of gravity which is too big to fail and I think only greedy people are pushing things in that direction.

Nothing has been learned from MtGox or central bank failures. Here we have people centralizing around Bitcoin itself making it into the new MtGox. Bitcoin cannot be too big to fail, it should be able to fall and some other coin rise to take it's place in a healthy free market.

Yes, agreed: BTC shouldn't be the center of gravity. However, for the time being, it is. So, a slow decline and evolution into something better would be preferable to a sudden collapse, because right now BTC is pretty much the only point of entry for new money and investors to get into cryptocurrency and crypto-equity.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
This is why Bitcoin and other coins that don't reserve funds for developers will have problems.... they depend upon charity.

Bitcoin can handle itself... if lack of full nodes becomes a real problem then we have more to worry about than nodeshares.

I get your point, but if full nodes become a real problem it is too late already. Initiative is to solve the problem before it becomes a problem. I3 should buy nodes. It is essential to the survival of cryptocurrencies all together. As said before: I'd rather see the revolution today. Not in 2075.

Makes sense. A precipitous drop in bitcoin price could really shake the confidence of investors and would-be investors in bitshares and substantially delay buy-in into the DAC industry. No matter how different bitshares are from bitcoin, they wouldn't be immune to the effects of big price crashes in BTC (at least in the short term). As a pts/ags holder, I worry most about a BTC implosion that would take down the whole sector....

It depends on if there is a fiat exchange and ATMs. If there is then people will be buying. BTC shouldn't be the center of gravity which is too big to fail and I think only greedy people are pushing things in that direction.

Nothing has been learned from MtGox or central bank failures. Here we have people centralizing around Bitcoin itself making it into the new MtGox. Bitcoin cannot be too big to fail, it should be able to fall and some other coin rise to take it's place in a healthy free market.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:41:33 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Now that we know crypto is just a new kind of company it cannot be stopped unless the concept of company stocks having value goes away. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline amatoB

• View Profile

Offline Mrrr

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Mrrr

• View Profile
History and the last 20 years are very different when it comes to R&D. There has been a breathtaking explosion in development, and PC and internet has entirely changed how things work.

Bitcoin may fail and be confined to history books; but the public ledger system is going to be adopted in one form or another.

As said: Bitcoin is our best bet at the moment. Yes, its not definite, and Yes, it will be replaced in time. But not today, and not tomorrow. I understand that the public ledger system is the first important invention of the 21st century. But no invention is deterministic by default. Ergo: this shit won't happen unless we make it happen. Mass adoption of bitcoin will make make mass adoption of I3 a hell of a lot easier. Support the bitcoin network: buy nodeshares.

sumantso

History and the last 20 years are very different when it comes to R&D. There has been a breathtaking explosion in development, and PC and internet has entirely changed how things work.

Bitcoin may fail and be confined to history books; but the public ledger system is going to be adopted in one form or another.

Offline Mrrr

• View Profile
Now that we know crypto is just a new kind of company it cannot be stopped unless the concept of company stocks having value goes away. 

You are right bytemaster, but in order to get the general public to accept the very concept of cryptocurrency we do need Bitcoin. therefore I3 should support nodeshares.

Offline Mrrr

• View Profile
Crypto will only happen if BTC succeeds, if BTC doesn't we might have to wait another 100 years for the crypto revolution.

I believe Crypto will succeed regardless of BTC. The genie is out of the bag now, and its the next step in the revolution which started with PC and carried through internet.

I actually believe BTC failing can boost the overall crypto space, even though it may not be apparent immediately.

IDK, I bought myself a Gridseed in order to support the LTC network. 200$ spent and lots of people ask me WTF I spent my money on. The genie is out of the bag indeed, but we ain't there yet. Genies tend to pop out of bags from time to time, but the 'POP' doesn't always mean that the forelying idea will be mass-adopted. As I mentioned before: there are plenty of genius ideas to be found in history, and plenty of them never made it.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I believe Crypto will succeed regardless of BTC. The genie is out of the bag now, and its the next step in the revolution which started with PC and carried through internet.
agree with this in principle

sumantso

Crypto will only happen if BTC succeeds, if BTC doesn't we might have to wait another 100 years for the crypto revolution.

I actually believe BTC failing can boost the overall crypto space, even though it may not be apparent immediately.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Supporting Bitcoin should be decided on a case by case bases. Bitcoin is a competitor and a springboard....

Until my grandmother has a BTC wallet it is a springboard.

There are some over here who are positively having sleepless nights due to the upcoming blokchain 2 thingy, and you want I3 to actually support Nodeshares :o

Lap slap your laptop and peek outside through the window. Millions of people who don't use cryptocurrencies. All of them are done with our current economic model. But their entry into crypto will be Bitcoin.

'If you can't beat them, join them'

Widespread adoption of cryptoxxx (currencies/shares...) will happen anyway. The question is which "companies" (coins/altcoins) will come out as actually profitable and thus widely used...

I disagree. History is not deterministic. I live next to a highway, and I know I'll statistically live 8 years less because of that. The electric car was invented in the 1880's, and around 1900 there were more electric cars on the road than there are today. The electric car is the better idea, would have saved me from lung cancer. but it didn't happen anyway

different analogy: the tin can was invented in 1772 in the Netherlands, the first can opener was patented in the UK in 1855.

I don't like waiting. Buy some nodes already.

(edited for typo's)
We cant know. You have good arguments though...