Author Topic: BitShares Intellectual Property  (Read 1457 times)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
OMG *right* when I post this:

Quote from: Cob
3.0 Incentives and advantages
The current economic model for buying music gives the listener two choices: one free, and one paying. People getting their music for free are the majority. People that pay for music do so for a variety of reasons but none of them involve self-interest. Our new model favours everyone's self-interests. Unlike the current one where artists hesitate before putting their music online for fear of file sharing / pirating, the Zenith Music Exchange now makes it profitable for the artist to upload and share everything he has.

What Zenith Music Exchange offers is to take the majority of people that normally just torrent music and turn them into music buyers. How so? By switching the incentives around. Buying music through the blockchain is now an action that promotes self-interest. If a user likes a song so much that he is willing to download it with the varying levels of hassle it entails (trojans / malware / viruses and the time required to find the files online), he most likely sees the value of that song. By buying a BitShare of that song directly from our website, he is invested in the song’s success. Every time the song is played or purchased, the new BitShareholder now sees the value of his portfolio rise and can cash out at any time!

A buyer can purchase a BitShare of a song, compensating the band in the process, for the sole reason that he will make money off it in the future. BitShares Music is harnessing the power of greed and putting it at the service of good. As for people already paying for their music, they will keep doing so, but will now get compensated financially for it. Currently, their good dead goes unrewarded. We personally like the idea of rewarding and incentivizing good, ethical and moral choices.

I dont understand how you can "buy" music through the blockchain - who exactly is selling it to you?

BTSX works because when you buy a BitAsset, someone else is taking the opposite view on that asset and shorting it.

Here when you buy shares in a song, who is taking the opposite view? I havent yet read an answer to this basic problem.

Im guessing that if there was a solution to this, someone would have already done it as a centralized service - no blockchain required.

Offline bobmaloney

This is great for downloadable material, but what about physical goods, such as vinyl records, which have found a slight resurgence?

Carrying the example over to books, what to do about hard copies - for which there is still heavy demand?

I think that once goods enter the physical realm, a much higher percentage of consumers will voluntarily choose to purchase an official item for want of authenticity and to support the creators.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
OMG *right* when I post this:

Quote from: Cob
3.0 Incentives and advantages
The current economic model for buying music gives the listener two choices: one free, and one paying. People getting their music for free are the majority. People that pay for music do so for a variety of reasons but none of them involve self-interest. Our new model favours everyone's self-interests. Unlike the current one where artists hesitate before putting their music online for fear of file sharing / pirating, the Zenith Music Exchange now makes it profitable for the artist to upload and share everything he has.

What Zenith Music Exchange offers is to take the majority of people that normally just torrent music and turn them into music buyers. How so? By switching the incentives around. Buying music through the blockchain is now an action that promotes self-interest. If a user likes a song so much that he is willing to download it with the varying levels of hassle it entails (trojans / malware / viruses and the time required to find the files online), he most likely sees the value of that song. By buying a BitShare of that song directly from our website, he is invested in the song’s success. Every time the song is played or purchased, the new BitShareholder now sees the value of his portfolio rise and can cash out at any time!

A buyer can purchase a BitShare of a song, compensating the band in the process, for the sole reason that he will make money off it in the future. BitShares Music is harnessing the power of greed and putting it at the service of good. As for people already paying for their music, they will keep doing so, but will now get compensated financially for it. Currently, their good dead goes unrewarded. We personally like the idea of rewarding and incentivizing good, ethical and moral choices.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
There are a few scattered threads trying to discuss this issue but I do not feel like there is any real progress on the problem of applying DAC power to fix the *cause* of centralization in these industries (research, music, etc).

Two major categories of proposed solutions:
* Replicating standard business models but without the middlemen... BitShares ME++
* Using clever consensus/market mechanisms to reward good musicians and supporters of good musicians

If we settle for the first I will be extremely disappointed...

Step 1: What are all the types of agents w.r.t. this system? What are their individual goals?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.