See what he did, a thought experiment about thoughts. The camera thought experiment might be analogous to the difference between photoreceptors in the eye and the visual cortex in the brain, the clear difference being that consciousness is defined by "integrated information" of visual imagery perceived in the cortex and not from the outputs from each photoreceptor. This example, though, only makes a reference to low-level consciousness.
There are lots of models for higher levels of consciousness, undoubtedly necessarily pseudo-scientific, and some try to merge age-old theories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-Circuit_Model_of_Consciousness
The eight circuits there could at a stretch be revised as a model for evolving DAC features.
1. Biosurvival: DAC programmed to trust (trusted datafeeds are fundamental to survival)
2. Territorial: DAC programmed to destroy another DAC (important to know what others might try)
3. Symbolic: DAC conquering prediction markets (overall 'mind-map' perspective required)
4. Reproductive: DACs that spawn DACs (essential for evolution)
5. Neurosomatic: Self-awareness (tricky but essential to code for decision making)
6. Neuroelectric: DACs that reprogram themselves (and market themselves)
7. Neurogenetic: a DAC influenced by the collective unconscious of the 'DAC-sphere' (inter-DAC communications)
[8. Overmind: being God-like. I would take this to mean knowing what happened before the Big Bang. Probably not applicable!]
Let the games begin!