Author Topic: PTS difficulty adjusting algorithm is so poor  (Read 2581 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
changing it to be a better retargeting algorithm (KGW or similar)

I did this already but was abondoned, when the ideas was to do dpos and then that was abondoned too? I still have the code on my github.

+5%  maybe testz can give it a thorough review ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

I did this already but was abondoned, when the ideas was to do dpos and then that was abondoned too? I still have the code on my github.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I believe the problem has more to do with large GPU farms hammering it when the difficulty becomes low.  They then leave when they blow through it.  It isn't hit by normal multipools because it doesn't use scrypt or some standard algorithm and the hobbyists guys aren't on top of it that much.

Glad to see testz patching it. +5%
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
why did the difficulty in the first place not adjust every two weeks like with BTC??

It did... read the OP. Retarget happens at "two weeks' worth of blocks" and not actually "two weeks".
....which made me think... what is testz then patching? Making the default to be less than 2 weeks?
BTW: (I didnt use PTS lately) Is it relatively fast (~10 minutes)?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:26:02 pm by delulo »

Offline toast

• View Profile
why did the difficulty in the first place not adjust every two weeks like with BTC??

It did... read the OP. Retarget happens at "two weeks' worth of blocks" and not actually "two weeks".
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
Testz is making a difficulty patch for short term, then we can upgrade to dpos long term

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

+5%

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
Testz is making a difficulty patch for short term, then we can upgrade to dpos long term

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags
 difficulty adjusting algorithm  of PTS is so poor
snapshot announced →price  increase →POW rush into PTS →difficulty become high in a short time
→snapshot passed  →price fall →POW run away  →but difficulty  still high for several months to adjust next time

1  PTS pow →dpos
2  PTS pow   update the   difficulty adjusting algorithm