Author Topic: We could be selling .com's and .orgs on a superior decentralised system  (Read 12906 times)

Offline fuzzy

That's a great test arhag. At the end of the day it can't be a pain in the ass for users. Look how long and transparently ipv6 has/is taking.
The _ has merit imho.

+5%

If the '_' is the only one that's really possible. I think it's fine. 'Apple_'  certainly has a lot of value because the'_' is so discreet. I personally think if added, the 100 top brands and perhaps 10-50 crypto brands in the form brand_ and brand_com together will earn more money than everything else combined.

Having said that Toast is clear he'd prefer 'BDNS' & to focus on .p2p's as is for the next few months, which is definitely a .bit killer.

Edit: Trying out a poll now https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=734486.0

Really good discussion.  Google+, Apple+ or Google!, Apple! is also a great concept.  Makes it even easier for users because most are confused by .com, .net, .gov....etc anyway.  Getting rid of the TLD actually seems like a potentially great idea. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:06:39 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bdnoble

• View Profile
    • Home Page
I've gotta say guys I really like the '_' idea. Are there any other symbols that would work well? Like | > $ & % ?
:)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
That's a great test arhag. At the end of the day it can't be a pain in the ass for users. Look how long and transparently ipv6 has/is taking.
The _ has merit imho.

+5%

If the '_' is the only one that's really possible. I think it's fine. 'Apple_'  certainly has a lot of value because the'_' is so discreet. I personally think if added, the 100 top brands and perhaps 10-50 crypto brands in the form brand_ and brand_com together will earn more money than everything else combined.

Having said that Toast is clear he'd prefer 'BDNS' & to focus on .p2p's as is for the next few months, which is definitely a .bit killer.

Edit: Trying out a poll now https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=734486.0

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:43:37 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I want to suggest a caret (^) that would pronounce as "up" . It denotes upward trend.  Sample below :

google^ -google up
facebook^ -facebook up
bitshares^ bitshares up
In france ^ is a socalled dead-key because they ise it as an accent .. thus they need to typ ^ + [space] to get an emty ^

Big drawback

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
A few additional thoughts on the underscore proposal (it is starting to grow on me):
  • It allows us to choose very convenient TLDs (or really they are more like meta-TLDs, or I like to call them extensions) since they do not conflict with any ICANN TLDs. So perhaps we like _p2p but maybe _o would be better (to designate ownership) and maybe we could use _l to designate the leasing model.
  • We could pronounce a domain like "domain-name_o" as "domain dash name under O". The "under" would have two meanings: it would be short for underscore; and, it would also mean the name is under the O namespace.
  • People could choose to make any of the models they prefer not need the extension at all in their local web browser. For example, if a user really liked the leasing model they can make it so that typing "domain-name" alone would automatically redirect them to "domain-name_l". This could cause conflicts with ICANN names, but if it this is the user's opt-in choice, then it shouldn't matter.
  • Finally, in the future, if there was a broad consensus that names under a particular namespace are preferred to be promoted to not need an extension, the internet would standardize around it. For example, if everyone decided the leasing namespace (_l) had the most useful names, they would want to just promote those names so they wouldn't want to type the extra _l. I am assuming at that point the old ICANN names are unused, so shadowing those old domains would not be a concern to users.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Thoughts:

* Calling it "the decentralized internet" mischaracterizes what .p2p actually does.. it's just a name->value mapping, not a full internet stack.

I know it doesn't change much,  but I've changed the opening line from 'the decentralised internet, is an entirely new internet system based on a decentralised blockchain..' To 'The Decentralised Internet, is an entirely new decentralised front end to the internet system that is based on a blockchain, ' but I think to most users, that if you're based on a decentralised blockchain giving them and web address owners the advantages they associate with decentralisation & a similar TLD system then it's 'the decentralised Internet' to them, but I don't know.

* I'd like to make it compatible with existing internet infrastructure so that the only place we have to touch is resolvers on existing DNS servers. This means the "+" might not work, I'll have to look at it.

Let's focus on .p2p as is for the next month or two.

Cool, I don't know if any of these things are technically possible at all.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:06:46 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Riverhead

The _ has merit imho.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
* I'd like to make it compatible with existing internet infrastructure so that the only place we have to touch is resolvers on existing DNS servers. This means the "+" might not work, I'll have to look at it.

I agree. I think whatever we do, it's incredibly important that we do not break the entire current internet infrastructure. I just did some quick testing by modifying /etc/hosts on my system. Both ! and + do not work well with Chrome and Firefox. Both browsers do not bother trying to lookup a DNS if I do "test!tld". Surprisingly, Firefox does do the lookup with "test+tld" but Chrome does not. Also if I try to ping the domains in a terminal, "test+tld" does work, but "test!tld" has some problems because you need to escape the ! (so "test\!tld" works). For this reason I am really against using the ! or + as a separator in domain names. Also, @ is even more problematic than ! or +. What I did find that works however is the underscore. The domain "test_tld" does resolve in Firefox and the terminal. Unfortunately in order to make Chrome resolve it rather than just search for the query "test_tld" you are forced to put a forward slash after it ("test_tld/"). But that's okay since it would normally be there in typical URLs (e.g. "http://test_tld/blah/blah?foo=bar"). Not adding the tld at the end also works, meaning "test_/" resolves everywhere.

I don't particularly like this approach. All of these approaches seem to me like a big hack to get around ICANN conflicts. But if we must do it, I would be okay with _ being used as the separator. It is already not allowed in the list of KeyID names which is a big plus. This means we could have various different _tld extensions for each sale model we come up with:
  • domain_p2p -> Website pointed to by the name "domain" in guaranteed-ownership model
  • domain_web -> Website pointed to by the name "domain" in the carrying-cost model
  • first-last_key -> Website pointed to by the KeyID "first-last"
Also, all current and future ICANN domains/TLDs would work without conflict (unless ICANN decides they want to allow _ in their TLDs).

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Thoughts:

* Calling it "the decentralized internet" mischaracterizes what .p2p actually does.. it's just a name->value mapping, not a full internet stack.

Let's focus on .p2p as is for the next month or two.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I like plus. 

Apple mark.
Apple ex
Apple plus. 

Apple+ looks like google +    The only downside is whether or not it is friendly to type on a phone.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Does seem to be the main consensus. Someone I asked also chose +. I've amended it in my description of 'the decentralised Internet' https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6778.msg90432#msg90432
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:14:29 am by Empirical1 »

Offline Bitshark

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

I like plus. 

Apple mark.
Apple ex
Apple plus. 

Apple+ looks like google +    The only downside is whether or not it is friendly to type on a phone.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
I want to suggest a caret (^) that would pronounce as "up" . It denotes upward trend.  Sample below :

google^ -google up
facebook^ -facebook up
bitshares^ bitshares up

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Maybe + or * is a better candidate than ! since + and * already have short words ("plus" or "star"), and visually delimit words.

* could be a possibility. Star is certainly a good short word and has a lot of positive connotations.
both are used in regular expressions .. see wildcard SSL domains *.google.com
however I am fine with "+"
+google

woops
google+ is already taken for a brand .. that might be good for google :)

then suddenldy we get

facebook+
youtube+
web+

you all know what that implicitly means :)

*raising hand for "+" at the end"!!
5%+