Author Topic: bter hacked and lost 50m nxt  (Read 12156 times)

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
no fork.  all thr nxt except for 8m has been returned. 

Offline Riverhead

Also the hacker seems to  have returned the NXT 50m ..
http://www.reddit.com/r/NXT/comments/2ds1m0/hacker_begins_to_return_stolen_nxt/

ok wow - why he's doing that? Was it like a penetration test ...  ?

That puts it at about 10% of the market value of the heist.  Bter is still getting off easy. Are they still going to fork?
One of the hacker's NXT message says, "DevilDave is a plunker" or something like that. Perhaps it was proving a point about the true autonomous nature of a blockchain's ability to resist tampering. Also, the hacker still has the 100BTC for their efforts.

I believe the price was raised to 300 BTC.

That's about 10% of the value of the heist. Bter got off not too bad. Is NXT still planning a fork?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:34:06 pm by Riverhead »

Offline kokojie

• View Profile

One of the hacker's NXT message says, "DevilDave is a plunker" or something like that. Perhaps it was proving a point about the true autonomous nature of a blockchain's ability to resist tampering. Also, the hacker still has the 100BTC for their efforts.

I believe the price was raised to 300 BTC.

Offline Riverhead

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
it's over.  bter better improve security.

Offline Riverhead

Wow! Did not see that coming.

Go here: https://nxtblocks.info/#section/blockexplorer_messages and search for NXT-8WJ7-8A2H-MBYN-3W9K4 to follow along.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:19:17 am by Riverhead »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Riverhead

It's painful reading the thread on the NXT forums. The community is clearly split at a fundamental level on this. The NXT market cap is back over $31MM USD (partially due to a slight recovery of BTC) so they may have weathered this storm.

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
I am personally more intrigued which NXT chain are the other exchanges running, especially btc38.
Anybody depositing any NXT on btc38 in last hours?

the fuck?  i thought there was no roll back...??? 

going to the nxt forum now..

It is not roll back, it is a forks now. Very cool ones tho. I have been playing with them with last $1 on NXT I have. You transfer on one fork and it appears on both. Very cool.

yeah, just read it from the thread.  so sad this had to happen.  bter should be the one answering to this, not the nxt community.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I am personally more intrigued which NXT chain are the other exchanges running, especially btc38.

It is not roll back, it is a forks now. Very cool ones tho. I have been playing with them with last $1 on NXT I have. You transfer on one fork and it appears on both. Very cool.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline lucky331

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline kokojie

• View Profile
I trade there now and then but don't leave any currency on the exchange. Nothing against BTer I just find it's a good policy in general. Also, I am transitioning some of my activity to Coinport because of their efforts for transparency.

but what if they block withdrawals all of a sudden like gox?  scary..

Indeed, that would be scary. Thankfully there are plenty of other exchanges around.

But we like BTER, it has been the most supportive exchange for PTS, BTSX, LTS and MMC.

Offline Riverhead

I trade there now and then but don't leave any currency on the exchange. Nothing against BTer I just find it's a good policy in general. Also, I am transitioning some of my activity to Coinport because of their efforts for transparency.

but what if they block withdrawals all of a sudden like gox?  scary..

Indeed, that would be scary. Thankfully there are plenty of other exchanges around.