I had VLC player installed on the family laptop and my father was trying to use the laptop one day to transfer his Itunes song purchases to an MP3 player. Some of the songs were working, but a majority of them wouldn't play. I tried helping him a bit, but I didnt know ANYTHING about ITunes ( I stopped paying for music 15 years ago)
So my dad is frustrated and he says "I think its this VLC player thing, its trapped the songs or something."
The VLC player recognised the files, through file association.
I just laugh and TRY to explain him that vlc was just reading those songs as media that it could open. Well....Dad was still skeptical, I get frustrated watching him do stuff on the computer because of all the malware he's installed in the past. Once he was having trouble with Internet Explorer (that says everything) so he just starts downloading random packages from the first sites that popped up when he did a search for "Internet Explorer error blah blah" It took me several days, and the help from a professional to remove the nasty hijack malware he installed.
Back to the story, so I'm watching him struggle and I decide to just Google the issue. I learn that some songs are drm protected, and won't work in the mp3 player. I tell him this, but he still presses on. He gets up for a moment so I quickly check to see what damage he has caused, luckily the AV zapped the random package he had downloaded. I also noticed he had done several searches for VLC player virus, VLC player traps files, and VLC player uninstall.
So Dad on his way back, and I say "Do you really think the VLC player is causing this issue?"
"Well it's the only thing that is constant about those files I'm having trouble with.l
"Ok but remember the DRM protection I just told you about, that's why the files won't play. But just to prove you wrong, let's clear the mp3 player, let's remove the vlc player, restart the computer, and REDO the whole process, delete the songs and re-download the songs"
So we do that, transfer them to the mp3 player , and BAM IT WORKS!!!!
NO, actually it didnt work. I printed out the DRM info and made DAD read it.
Sorry a bit off topic, but Dad will return in "Hmmm....let's go into the Task Manager, and look at the Processes list. Ok, those processes look strange, win32.exe chrome.exe etcetera, I will just find these .exe and delete them."