Author Topic: Time to Shutdown Cloud Mining - 1 BTC Bounty for GPU Implementation  (Read 19816 times)

Offline lordfirefox

• View Profile
Re: Time to Shutdown Cloud Mining - 1 BTC Bounty for GPU Implementation
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 06:37:07 am »
Just switch to sha256 merged mining. You'll have dedicated miners and the most secure network (after Bitcoin).

By the way, I don't really understand how "cloud mining" being replaced by "15 year old gamers in their mom's basements" are a good thing.

Because Crypto should belong to the people, not just the big investor types wearing suit and ties. That's what BTC was all about when it was still underground. Hard to see that now.
PTS: Pimu7pvvbCJF9LKsCUw2ZUb2pdHRzLLjBa

Offline TheStorm

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 03:32:16 pm »
http://do not purchase from satoshibox.com/529083184c347b7b360041a8?paid#

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2013, 07:31:43 am »
Any traction or updates on this project?
There are rumors of GPU mining code out in the wild. I saw a miner advertised for 2btc. How about upping the bounty to get rid of the botnet problem?  8)

Apparently there is Cloud GPU mining.  The objective of this bounty is no longer a priority, so there is a 24 hour notice to the cancelation of this bounty.  Anyone wishing to claim it has 24 hours to commit to producing the GPU miner or the bounty is off.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline gnarl

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 07:08:55 am »
Any traction or updates on this project?
There are rumors of GPU mining code out in the wild. I saw a miner advertised for 2btc. How about upping the bounty to get rid of the botnet problem?  8)

Offline andhar

• Board Moderator
  • *BOH!*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »
Damn the 7990's are still very expensive :O

Offline MisO69

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2013, 04:03:18 pm »
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Going from the current CPU to GPU then to ASIC is the natural progression of a cryptocoin of value. Its trading at .02 now. Its worth developing a GPU miner for it. I'm sure there are guys doing it right now as I write this post. If the value of this coin does go to .1 expect to see GPU miners for sale. Bytemaster's idea of an open source GPU miner is a great idea. If I had a fleet of of 7950's I would definitely add to the bounty. Maybe even pay someone to make me one.

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 06:33:25 am »
i'd like to point out the following.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ASIC RESISTANCE. All it takes is for the market to grow large and profitable enough that it justifies spending 6~10 million from inception to mass production of the ASIC. sCrypt was "ASIC and GPU" unfriendly, until someone decided to get rich. Even the "jane" version has a working FPGA so it's only a matter of time before optimization leads to an ASIC. momentum search is memory intensive, ergo the ASIC/FPGA will need more highspeed memory with a bit less focus on raw processing oomph.

That said, there are a few people that can implement a GPU algo for this in two weeks, but they are crazy expensive to hire. It would have to be a community effort to amass a lucrative fund and ask them to help. I'd think the anti-cloud and anti-bot crowd can help with this.

in the mean time, for those who mined early and are now getting peanuts, i provide hardware consultancy and building guides for newbs. My guides are especially beneficial to those in Russia and Southern Africa where i know suppliers, costs and how to cut corners. PM me!!
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 06:21:10 am »
Damn, with tonights diff jump supply is going increasing a lot slower.

Still coming at a block per minute...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline m0rph

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2013, 06:20:28 am »
Damn, with tonights diff jump supply is going increasing a lot slower.
PTS - PksM7k6rwZpWGvR1GxSedLZ5k94z54bbqH
BTC - 1CFxbpkBmZGB5RStsCz6Wgbw48GRQyfsFF

Offline gnarl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 03:21:25 am »
That seems like a pretty fair way to fix it, since everyone has planned on this being a cpu+memory based coin.

Plus I would rather invest in Corsair, than in a botnet!

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 03:17:01 am »
What about just adding larger memory requirements?

I would love it if you added GPU, but just requiring 1gb memory per thread seems less drastic.  That would make botnets more noticeable and cloud mining more expensive.
Then the normal home users could still participate by just purchasing more ram.

Increasing memory is an option, but comes at a cost of higher latency.   The CPU has to be able to fill that memory in a timely manner.   Also, ypools miner is able to dramatically reduce the required memory to the point that my primary design goal of requiring memory is no longer fully met.    We are working on improving this for the next go around.

Offline gnarl

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2013, 03:14:21 am »
What about just adding larger memory requirements?

I would love it if you added GPU, but just requiring 1gb memory per thread seems less drastic.  That would make botnets more noticeable and cloud mining more expensive.
Then the normal home users could still participate by just purchasing more ram.

Offline hiddenvalleyranch

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2013, 02:46:12 am »
CPU miners are ok at first, but get taken over by botnets pretty fast. Time for a good GPU miner I can set my 7970s towards.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2013, 02:35:03 am »
Gpu will level the field with cloud and bot nets.  better to find out now.

Offline m0rph

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 02:31:24 am »
Definitely wouldn't complain about a GPU miner being released, my 7970's would love to be mining PTS
PTS - PksM7k6rwZpWGvR1GxSedLZ5k94z54bbqH
BTC - 1CFxbpkBmZGB5RStsCz6Wgbw48GRQyfsFF