Author Topic: BTS Wallet Best Practices and Danger Areas  (Read 16197 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The wallet will automatically recommend to make new backups in the footer

Offline roadscape

I have imported keys manually (who here hasn't? the 0.9.x balances).. is it enough to back it up once after that?

As mine stands now, there's a bunch of imported but unclaimed balances, and a few claimed balances.. I backed up the wallet (the .binf ile) after importing the keys.

Are the funds safe this way?

AFAIK...

There is no need to create a new backup after claiming balances, because there are no TITAN keys to worry about.

If you've created a new account to claim to.. then you want to make a fresh backup.

If you have added (unclaimed) balances and want to ensure they stick around, you will want to backup.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline karnal

• View Profile
I have imported keys manually (who here hasn't? the 0.9.x balances).. is it enough to back it up once after that?

As mine stands now, there's a bunch of imported but unclaimed balances, and a few claimed balances.. I backed up the wallet (the .binf ile) after importing the keys.

Are the funds safe this way?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
unless you have imported private keys manually .... backing up the brain key ONCE should be sufficient ..
However .. the wallet will remind you in the footer to make a new backup whenever you change something in the wallet that effects private keys

Offline karnal

• View Profile
How often should one backup?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
1) and 3) are "outdated" .. you are safe to use the same wallet at different computers (though it makes protecting your account/funds more difficult) .. having several accounts is all fine

2) is someone valid still ... who knows when we see a need to integrate new features into the backup functionality ..
but at least you can be sure that with the brain key .. you can recover all accounts that you have CREATED in that wallet (not those that you have imported)

Offline gn1

• View Profile
1) Do not use the same wallet on two computers.
  - If you do this the deterministic key generation will get out of sync.  This can result in missing balances and/or orders using the same key and thus difficult to cancel.  We are enhancing the wallet to be able to handle this more gracefully.   That said, one wallets will not be able to see the receiver of outgoing transactions sent from the other wallet.   

2) Do not attempt to restore from an "old backup"
 -  While technically the purpose of a backup is to prevent you from losing funds, the backups at this point in time are there to allow *future versions* to have a hope at recovering all of your funds.  Backups are generated automatically every time you upgrade the wallet.   When you upgrade only use the "most recent" backup.   Generally speaking you shouldn't ever have to dive into a backup file that is older than your last transaction.  While future versions may allow you to recover all of your funds, your transaction history may never quite recover all of the data you may want. 

3) Do not attempt to use more than one "account" per wallet if you want to be able to easily recover from a backup
  - Based upon the current wallet code, if you use more than one account and attempt to recover keys it will not be able to allocate market orders back to the original account.  You will be able to recover the funds/orders to one of your accounts but it may not be the same account as the original order.

Please let me know if these 3 golden rules are still the case for BitShares 2.0 wallet (for both Openledger and light client) or not. If it changed, can you please provide the "new" best practices?
I'm a BitShares enthusiast in Japan, spreading BitShares daily to the Japanese people through https://genxnotes.com. Help us grow bitJPY together, so that bitUSD/bitJPY market pair will become the most popular market worldwide! Imagine what kind of world it will become when we execute this.

Offline vikram

Any estimation as to when we will be able to recover wallets no matter how old they are? I forgot to backup my latest wallet and now my most recent one is 2 months old and can't recover all my funds, regenerate keys doesn't work, I think its some market orders that create the problem for me.

With the latest client, you might have some luck trying this: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9194.msg148083#msg148083

chryspano

Any estimation as to when we will be able to recover wallets no matter how old they are? I forgot to backup my latest wallet and now my most recent one is 2 months old and can't recover all my funds, regenerate keys doesn't work, I think its some market orders that create the problem for me.

Offline unsoindovo

• View Profile
hi!!!
windows 7 pro 64bit here..
i update the wallet and all works fine...
nothing lost...
but i get this error log

Code: [Select]
getStackTrace@app.js:26:8827
 ○ request@app.js:30:24118
 ○ get_config@app.js:29:35629
 ○ app.js:29:62715
 ○ j@app.js:6:39741
 ○ app.js:6:27204
 ○ $eval@app.js:6:48397
 ○ $digest@app.js:6:47106
 ○ $apply@app.js:6:48723
 ○ f@app.js:5:92484
 ○ r@app.js:6:4852
 ○ onreadystatechange@app.js:6:5391
10 assert_exception: Assert Exception
now >= start_timestamp:
 {}
 bitshares chain_interface.cpp:81 bts::blockchain::chain_interface::get_max_delegate_pay_per_block

{}
 bitshares common_api_client.cpp:19 bts::rpc_stubs::common_api_client::blockchain_get_info

it is all ok???

thanks

This is okay; it does not affect anything and will be fixed in the next version.

thank you Vik!!!!

Offline vikram

hi!!!
nothing lost...
but i get this error log

now >= start_timestamp:
 {}
 bitshares chain_interface.cpp:81 bts::blockchain::chain_interface::get_max_delegate_pay_per_block

{}
 bitshares common_api_client.cpp:19 bts::rpc_stubs::common_api_client::blockchain_get_info

it is all ok???

thanks

This is okay; it does not affect anything and will be fixed in the next version.

Offline unsoindovo

• View Profile
hi!!!
nothing lost...
but i get this error log

now >= start_timestamp:
 {}

{}

it is all ok???

thanks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I knew you guys are working on it ... good to see it implemeted already .. +5% for the devs .. awesome work

Offline vikram

I think that some original posts from Bytemaster cause panic and should be edited. I was playing with the market and I was still fine restoring from an old backup.
Market transactions require the wallet private key which is in the backup .. but not in the private keys of the individual accounts keys ..

BM's post had the intention to make people cautious about their keys .. it's like an insurance that people not following those guidelines are considered 'advanced' users .. not regular users

Good to see your funds recovered

I think you know but just to make sure; this behaviour will change after the next release: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/769