Most of this post belongs in the marketing forum, but because I am seeking contributors to a bounty to break DPOS, I thought it belongs here.
My name is Max Wright and I have been following Bytemaster since before Invictus' first newsletter. My skills are in marketing and not tech and as such have watched from afar as the tech geniuses behind bitshares do their thing... very well I might add.
But after hanging out with the team in Saint Martin and working with Brian and BM for the last month, I have drawn some conclusions and here they are for that they are worth. Feedback is appreciated.
1. Marketing to non-bitcoin enthusiasts at this early stage is a waste of time. The entry and exit ramps to btsx require bitcoin and that is where we must focus.
2. Bitcoin works in cliques, and most bitcoiners have their favorite and trusted sources. What I call bitcoin royalty. Get them and the rest follow. Vitalik was a great start, and in the following months you will see many of his followers pay attention to btsx. I believe we should invest our resources here first.
3. bitUSD may be very useful in getting the early masses on board but it has little appeal to early adoptors, innovators and bitcoin royalty. We should not focus marketing efforts on bitUSD at this time.
4. TITAN is cool, but has some potential drawbacks. I think it is easy to send money to an incorrect party and it would be nice to not lead with a privacy thing which may attract unwanted govt attention which may slow us down. Further, bitcoiners have already jumped the hurdle of dealing with ugly addresses and QR codes and as I mentioned in point 1, I think we should only be interested in bitcoiners at the moment. If we had nothing else I would run with it, but we have gold so why bother.
5. I think DPOS is the killer feature (the gold) that will help us attract the bitcoin royalty and their followers.
6. When Bitcoiners understand that in 2014 the first half a billion dollars of fiat that chased bitcoin went to electricity and chip manufacturing companies instead of sending the price of their coins to the moon they will want a solution. When they realize DPOS is that solution, they will come.
7. One by one, they will come until the call in the bitcoin community is 50% or more and they will hardfork bitcoin to DPOS. That will be great for Bitcoin and bitshares and by extension humanity.
8. I have a plan and will execute it shortly to create videos and presentations to attract the bitcoin community with the lure of using DPOS to solve this problem.
9. As part of this video I am going to offer a bounty to anyone who can destroy/hack/break DPOS
10. Thoughts on that bounty.
A) I need to work with the tech team on the wording of the bounty. DPOS is easier to corrupt than POW, but that is accounted for by its easy to recover from features (voting, hardforks, etc). How should this bounty be worded?
B) I am willing to match dollar for dollar up to 20btc (approx $10k) for this bounty. Because I do not have the tech knowledge to know how good DPOS really is, I will only match btc put up by the dev team. If it is too early and DPOS is not ready for the big team just yet, then that is cool we can wait. But if it is, and the devs will put their money where their mouth is (and where their time has been) I will match up to 20btc.
C) The bigger the bounty, the bigger the press, the more eyeballs on bitshares. I hope you contribute to the bounty as well. Remember if the bounty is not claimed in 12 months, then you get your btc back and nothing is lost. If the bounty is paid and a fatal flaw is found in DPOS then you may have just saved yourself years of your life working on a flawed concept. How much is that worth to you? It is a no lose situation. I hope to get this bounty over $100,000
D) In order for the bounty to be believed it must be held in a public btc wallet. Pledges are not enough. I suggest a multisig wallet, with myself, BM and a couple of other trusted community members as signers.
11. I would like to get this video and concept out soon so if you have ideas or can contribute setting up the bounty wallet, please post here quickly.
Thoughts and feedback appreciated.