Author Topic: How to put an underused VPS to work  (Read 2699 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Ok, I'm talking beyond my knowledge level trying to be helpful.  :)  I run linux on my laptop and a dodgy ass Windows license in a VirtualMachine so I haven't spent much time with WIndows client.

So the only question now would be...  When running a delegate, what operations can you perform using the same account but on a different machine ?  Is it ever safe ?  Is it just a matter of turning off block production ?  (Which I assume is stored locally ?)

Not recommended, ifak:

1) Do not use the same wallet on two computers.
  - If you do this the deterministic key generation will get out of sync.  This can result in missing balances and/or orders using the same key and thus difficult to cancel.  We are enhancing the wallet to be able to handle this more gracefully.   That said, one wallets will not be able to see the receiver of outgoing transactions sent from the other wallet.   

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Ok, I'm talking beyond my knowledge level trying to be helpful.  :)  I run linux on my laptop and a dodgy ass Windows license in a VirtualMachine so I haven't spent much time with WIndows client.

So the only question now would be...  When running a delegate, what operations can you perform using the same account but on a different machine ?  Is it ever safe ?  Is it just a matter of turning off block production ?  (Which I assume is stored locally ?)
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline FuLl

• View Profile
I started a new thread to serve as a howto for others, on the topic of running a delegate node in Windows.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8871.0

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
You can't manage the wallet from your windows machine.
Hm, I think I did at one point... (Am I wrong???)
Not sure, but I think liondani was even running a delegate under win. at one point.

Yea, I might be incorrect about some of this stuff.  I know there were issues that dacsunlimited made a post about in regards to having 2 wallets with same key + delegates.   One would have to not be producing blocks.  This might be readily possible, but for a newbie asking how to do it, I think the answer would be "no you can't".   There is just no reason to do this.  Have a delegate account and have your personal account.

The code to run a delegate under windows exists just like it does under linux, but I am not sure the CLI version is even distributed for Windows.  So that means you'd need to compile it since the GUI client is strongly recommended against when running a delegate. 

If Windows CLI is distributed by dacsunlimited, then I suppose there would be no reason to not run a delegate under windows.  I'd need to dig around the install directory and see....

It is there: bitshares_client.exe

Offline FuLl

• View Profile

Have a delegate account and have your personal account.

Bummer, so I paid for my primary business account to be a delegate for no reason. :-(

Can I transfer the delegate account I have presently to the delegate node, & create a new account on my Windows box for normal use?

I don't want more than 1 account on my Windows client because of the backup restoration issues which exist right now on wallets with more than 1 account in them.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Not sure, but I think liondani was even running a delegate under win. at one point.

Yea, I might be incorrect about some of this stuff.  I know there were issues that dacsunlimited made a post about in regards to having 2 wallets with same key + delegates.   One would have to not be producing blocks.  This might be readily possible, but for a newbie asking how to do it, I think the answer would be "no you can't".   There is just no reason to do this.  Have a delegate account and have your personal account.

The code to run a delegate under windows exists just like it does under linux, but I am not sure the CLI version is even distributed for Windows.  So that means you'd need to compile it since the GUI client is strongly recommended against when running a delegate. 

If Windows CLI is distributed by dacsunlimited, then I suppose there would be no reason to not run a delegate under windows.  I'd need to dig around the install directory and see....

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Thanks for your reply, but that isn't what I had in mind. I want to do something that helps the network somehow.

Is there a way to set up a DNS server that people can use to connect to .p2p websites like OpenNIC does for .bit websites? I'd happily leave that running for as long as I'm in business for everyone to use.

I already see software that can resolve .bit domain names, & eventually I'll get around to installing that. It would be nice if my DNS server could resolve .p2p as well.

Anyone know an open source solution that could do both?

Thanks.

-F

Seed nodes are servers that seed the p2p network.   So you connect to a seed node and grab a list of other nodes.  (I might be wrong here... not 100% sure)

Delegate nodes are the same as miners and block-signer would be a better name if not for the election process.

You can't manage the wallet from your windows machine.  A Delegate needs to be run outside of the GUI.  This means linux for the most part.  I don't think anyone has ever talked about running it under a windows server.

A seed node is something you can do to help the network without having to become elected.  Look at the Bank&Exchange forum for that.  I think you set it up then email dacsunlimited with your ip address and it is included in the source.

The DNS server software that is a gateway to p2p TLDs etc hasn't been written.  The DNS/KeyID DAC will need to be released on a live chain etc first.  I'm not sure when or who, but it seems quite reasonable to expect a DNS server that does .p2p and pass-through for ICANN will be written.

Offline FuLl

• View Profile
Thanks for your reply, but that isn't what I had in mind. I want to do something that helps the network somehow.

Is there a way to set up a DNS server that people can use to connect to .p2p websites like OpenNIC does for .bit websites? I'd happily leave that running for as long as I'm in business for everyone to use.

I already see software that can resolve .bit domain names, & eventually I'll get around to installing that. It would be nice if my DNS server could resolve .p2p as well.

Anyone know an open source solution that could do both?

Thanks.

-F

Offline theoretical

BTSX is not mined like other cryptocurrencies.  To earn fees as a delegate, you need to market yourself and convince 1% of BTSX balance holders to vote for your account to become an active delegate.

This process has little to do with spare CPU cycles.

If you have spare CPU cycles and want to earn BTSX, I'd suggest:

- Mine another altcoin
- Sell that altcoin for Bitcoin
- Use that Bitcoin to buy more BTSX

There are websites that automate the selling of your altcoin, but TBH it's simple enough to do yourself.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline FuLl

• View Profile
Hi,

Today I installed the Windows client, registered my account as a delegate, & have some questions as to how I can put an underused VPS I have to work.

I read that it's not advisable to run multiple copies of a wallet file simultaneously, & I'm wondering now how I can go about setting up a delegate node on my VPS using the account I manage from my Windows client.

I'm also not clear on what the difference is between a 'delegate node' & a 'seed node'. Are they one in the same?

Ideally, I'd like to generate revenue from a delegate node using spare cycles on my VPS. But if I can help the network by running a seed node in addition to mining, I'll run both.

Rather than giving up & settling on just buying my BTSX on an exchange, I figured there might be others facing the same situation as I am now, & decided to create this thread in hopes that it will provide concise advice to other newcomers.

Please advise.

Thanks.

-F