Author Topic: ***OFFICIAL proposal for community organization process *** v.9  (Read 1831 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Gamey I think in the main task force (not offtopic forum) I think it needs to be heavily moderated.  We need a structure we may need to have an outside platform like a private facebook group* to coordinate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:53:12 am by eagleeye »

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Ok.. we'll see how it goes..   :)

Use notify feature on reddit/bitcointalk or general bumping request thread.

Also if anyone has constructive criticism it would be better to post it on the discussion subform in the task forces section.. I'm sure this thread will drown off the front page sooner than later.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I made a "Task Forces" forum and a "task forces discussion" subforum and made gamey mod
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline rysgc

• View Profile
    • DACZine.com
Great post Gamey, lets go for this, probably it will suit us well since for now it's not a very large group of people (that I know of) but it draws attention and might grow quickly. Do you already have contact with Bitsapphire for adding the tasks forum?

Also now the 'task groups' are a bit divided and seem to not be up to date on each others moves. I will contact theFuzz as well he;s also working on something (Not sure if he's already updated about this).

Lets get it started as soon as the forum is made, thanks Gamey!

To all others: Please consider being a part of this, a few minutes/hours of your time can ultimately have big results which will benefit us all.
DACZine.com - Receive all the latest DAC and BitShares community news straight to your inbox. Signup here or Submit news

Offline cgafeng

BTC:1EYwcZ9cYVj6C9LMLafdcjK9wicVMDV376

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Who wants to be a member/soldier/loyalist?

I will help be a soldier.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:00:34 am by eagleeye »

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Damn this is long, but this is not a real simple process.  If you have interest in this please read.

So if you care about the history of this discussion look at thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7255.0 & https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9036.0.   I was trying to decide between trello, asana, or continuing use of the forums.  Then GodsCreation volunteered but has had some level of second thoughts.  (Which is fine, I find myself with too any projects sometimes) 

So I decided to go back to Asana/Trello but I am not happy with either.  After discussing with Delulo we came up with list of requirements.

Ability to create “Task-forces”.
Ability to create tasks.
Ability to be notified by email. - mainly for things like a reddit bump team.
Bounties posted.
Ability to close tasks.
Task-forces which are private so people can have frank discussions etc.

Examples of task forces – Pointing out wiki being out of date and correcting it.  Reddit bump team, Trading forum posting group, etc.  I doubt there would be ever more than 5 active ones.

After looking around at Trello and Asana neither made me happy.  I think they are great for top down led organizational stuff, but I'm not sure we need it.  I don't want to be the leader and I don't think MarketDirector does.  All external services have some learning curve for everyone involved.  I had been suggesting we stick with forums because to me it seems to be the same thing, lists of lists, but I really was looking for feedback as this needs to be first and foremost a community.

Problems with forums is that there is no real structural enforcement of the process.  So that means we have to come up with some rules.  Once we do that, I think the forums will pretty much do everything.

First we create a “Task-forces” top level forum.  I thought about merging it with bounties but bounties might be pushed off page.  If rules are enforced though the chatter could be low enough to have “Bounties and Task-forces”.   Either way, from inside that forum we have our community organization process.

Requirements for community organizational process and how they are solved by forum.

Ability to create Task-forces. - Yes, as a thread.  If task-force grows, subforum can be created and use threads in there as sub-tasks. 
Ability to create tasks  Yes – Create another thread within the task-force forum.
Ability to be notified by email. - mainly for things like a reddit bump team.  Yes – click on notify button on thread.
Bounties posted – Use existing bounties forum.
Ability to close tasks – Yes click on “locked” and re-title it [CLOSED] at the start
Task-forces which are private so people can have frank discussions etc. - Not sure about this.  This requires someone to manage permissions etc.  Also not sure what capabilities stock SMF has.

The main thing is that we enforce no noise on the forum so that people can go there and directly find something to do.  There will be no discussion threads.  Those can be held elsewhere.  Possibly a subforum.  The idea is to make the top “taskforces” thread have only threads that have DIRECT PLANS of action.  If you want to ask about working on something, or starting up a task for, then you would start that conversation elsewhere.  Then once you felt comfortable with it, then you post a thread in the Task-force forum.  No proposal threads, no discussion threads.  Just taskforces who have a task force or tasks themselves.

This can work quite well.  For example, visit the https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9174.0 thread. You can click on “notify” for example if you would like to actively help Bitcoin people see the light via forums/social media.  By actively modding

So the idea is like the thread above, but done on a new parent level forum.  Organization tools are pretty much just lists of lists of lists.

PLEASE comment on this.  This would require a change to the top level of the forums and clutter the frontpage even more.  The positive side is that the task-forces and even the whole process can be readily moved from the bitsharestalk to elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:48:51 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.