Author Topic: BitUSD on OpenBazaar would show the VALUE of a non-volatile crypto.  (Read 13511 times)

pollux

Given that a prerequisite is to integrate multisig, perhaps we could fund development as a bounty using 2-of-3 or 3-of-5 in BitUSD.

I will report back with what I can determine on the feasibility.

While I have read bytemaster's comment regarding the blockchain supporting multisig, I cannot find any APIs in the toolkit supporting the workflows. Can a project developer comment on the level to which multisig is supported in the API?

My fairly quick examination has led me to the conclusion that multisig isn't implemented in the toolkit yet. There are less than 25 references in the code to multisig, primarily as stubs in enumerating an attribute of deposit transactions. Before I could commit to making something work (I'm not planning to get involved with the toolkit) I'd need a clear, tested interface on the RPC side that meets the requirements for OpenBazaar (on their wiki).

Bitcoin does this by providing an RPC command as such:

./bitcoind createmultisig 2 '["0491bba2510912a5bd37da1fb5b1673010e43d2c6d812c514e91bfa9f2eb129e1c183329db55bd868e209aac2fbc02cb33d98fe74bf23f0c235d6126b1d8334f86","04865c40293a680cb9c020e7b1e106d8c1916d3cef99aa431a56d253e69256dac09ef122b1a986818a7cb624532f062c1d1f8722084861c5c3291ccffef4ec6874","048d2455d2403e08708fc1f556002f1b6cd83f992d085097f9974ab08a28838f07896fbab08f39495e15fa6fad6edbfb1e754e35fa1c7844c41f322a1863d46213"]'

{
    "address" : "3QJmV3qfvL9SuYo34YihAf3sRCW3qSinyC",
    "redeemScript" : "52410491bba2510912a5bd37da1fb5b1673010e43d2c6d812c514e91bfa9f2eb129e1c183329db55bd868e209aac2fbc02cb33d98fe74bf23f0c235d6126b1d8334f864104865c40293a680cb9c020e7b1e106d8c1916d3cef99aa431a56d253e69256dac09ef122b1a986818a7cb624532f062c1d1f8722084861c5c3291ccffef4ec687441048d2455d2403e08708fc1f556002f1b6cd83f992d085097f9974ab08a28838f07896fbab08f39495e15fa6fad6edbfb1e754e35fa1c7844c41f322a1863d4621353ae"
}

So I'd formalize the request to have the API expose createmultisig, createrawtransaction, signrawtransaction and sendrawtransaction.

(Also, I wish I could post external links!)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
DNS delegate subsidy (dilution) could be used for this, assuming openbazaar makes use of the dns dac. We could give them their own namespace even, like .baz

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It should first be a priority to integrating BitUSD into OpenBazaar merchant nodes. After that, we can talk about how best to airdrop BitUSD on the community. One step at a time. :D

Also, reserve bazaar.p2p and openbazaar.p2p before you launch the DAC.

I do not know if he means what you are saying, or maybe pay the open OpenBazaar devs. to do the integration themselves and to be paid in DNS shares...

Pay the OpenBazaar devs in BitShares DNS shares... yeah that's a great idea.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
DNS delegate subsidy (dilution) could be used for this, assuming openbazaar makes use of the dns dac. We could give them their own namespace even, like .baz

It should first be a priority to integrating BitUSD into OpenBazaar merchant nodes. After that, we can talk about how best to airdrop BitUSD on the community. One step at a time. :D

I do not know if he means what you are saying, or maybe pay the open OpenBazaar devs. to do the integration themselves and to be paid in DNS shares...
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Just to point out - *pollux* (see his post several posts before this one) is a developer... and has expressed at least initial interest.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
We have an OpenBazaar developer response:

The beauty of OpenBazaar and it being open, is that you don't really need our consideration to do this, you can start working on it yourself or rally troops to help you with this great idea.

like it was said before, we're still getting things to a beta stage. Ideally the tools needed to work with BitUSD would be so similar to BTC that it'd be a matter of just replacing the blockchain checks for another one depending on the currency specified in the transaction.

It is certainly a possibility and the idea sounds really attractive as a way to get rid of the volatility issue. I've not read a single line about it yet, thanks for bringing it up. Didn't know about BitUSD.

http://www.reddit.com/r/OpenBazaar/comments/2i849x/would_you_consider_using_a_nonvolatile_crypto_in/cl0eokn

Hats off to MeTHoDx! Well done, the seed has been planted.

bitUSD makes eminent sense as the default currency for something like OB.

Other crypto-currencies can/should be implemented (Monero, etc) to serve specific purposes.

Now we need I3 to follow up formally with OB devs, implement bitUSD and make a very public announcement.

This is extremely cheap and powerful marketing.

Devs, please comment as soon as convenient.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:21:34 pm by OldMan »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
That (OP) is an excellent idea! It reminds me of paypal's early marketing strategy. In the end paypal benefited ebay and ebay brought paypal exponential growth in users.

Here is a link: http://warstory.co/how-paypal-used-robots-to-acquire-users-in-the-early-days/

Quick Summary of the article above:
At the beginning paypal paid new users $10% and to those that referd new users also $10. That burned through cash reserves relatively quickly. Then paypal grew on ebay by a "charitybot": A script searched for certain types of auctions. The sellers where contacted by email and asked whether they accepted paypay because the buyer would be buying those items for a charity and would only be able to pay with paypal. Many wanted to help the charity and set up a paypal account.
-> A little more abstract summary: grow on one platform first where your service is needed the most, automate it, use the charity bonus and  partner with a charity organization (paypal partnered with red cross).

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

The beauty of OpenBazaar and it being open, is that you don't really need our consideration to do this, you can start working on it yourself or rally troops to help you with this great idea.

like it was said before, we're still getting things to a beta stage. Ideally the tools needed to work with BitUSD would be so similar to BTC that it'd be a matter of just replacing the blockchain checks for another one depending on the currency specified in the transaction.

It is certainly a possibility and the idea sounds really attractive as a way to get rid of the volatility issue. I've not read a single line about it yet, thanks for bringing it up. Didn't know about BitUSD.

sounds great

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

http://www.reddit.com/r/OpenBazaar/comments/2i849x/would_you_consider_using_a_nonvolatile_crypto_in/cl0eokn
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:34:17 pm by MeTHoDx »

pollux

Given that a prerequisite is to integrate multisig, perhaps we could fund development as a bounty using 2-of-3 or 3-of-5 in BitUSD.

I will report back with what I can determine on the feasibility.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Interesting thread.  Vertoe's name was familiar and I remember this thread.  https://darkcointalk.org/threads/talking-about-bitshares-on-july-the-4th.1699/ 

So he is a Bitshares fan/open-minded/not a hater.  There might be some serious partnership potential there that could be worked out.  It sounds like he is at least wanting to lay the groundwork for a multi-currency.  If he did that, then you would have a significant amount of the work done.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Retaining a dev outside of I3 will be terribly inefficient and costly.

OB and Bitshares are very early in the development cycle and both are going to need ongoing support for a very long time (years).

The only way to do this properly is for I3 to form a strategic partnership with OB.

OB is to commerce what Bitshares is to finance.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
Sounds like we need a cost appraisal for this.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
If OpenBazaar is indeed currency neutral and will support multiple currencies then we definitely need to see it done sooner than later.

I'd say the first stable crypto to be introduced to OpenBazaar (or some other less reputable marketplace), will win regardless of our technical superiority. Speaking of which... I hope the NuBits team doesn't frequent these forums.

If OpenBazaar is indeed currency neutral

They seem to be. Read this thread.

TITAN/wallet system wouldn't prohibit the integration, but it would be prohibitive.   Hard to know how much unless you are a wallet expert between the 2 + know a bit about openbazaar.

As long as TITAN doesn't make this completely impossible. Hopefully the BitShares founders will see this as the opportunity it is and get behind it.