Author Topic: BitShares the Platform  (Read 11420 times)

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
I am the most excited about the possibility to fund development via delegates .. there just is NO NEED to run a brick and mortar company any longer ..
Bam .... Freelancing on the blockchain .. how about that!?!!!

+5% for that, and great thread Stan  +5%

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am the most excited about the possibility to fund development via delegates .. there just is NO NEED to run a brick and mortar company any longer ..
Bam .... Freelancing on the blockchain .. how about that!?!!!

Offline Pheonike

When the voting system is integrated in to the client changes like these will have many more participate s.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
  A DAC operating system.

Oh, great. An operating system where a majority decides what's good for me (and for others that haven't even been asked as well). Where "majority" means bm and 100 believers screaming hooray at every word from his sacred mouth.

Just what I've been waiting for.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Rune

• View Profile
You will be rewarded extremely handsomely by shareholders as a paid delegate if you do something like this. Just look at how big corporations reward top executives with massive bonuses. We will do the same thing for people we can see have made us money.

Maybe but how can I be sure all of you agree to give me what I want. What if i want more ?:) With scenario 2 I don't have to worry.

If you are able to singedhandedly increase the market price by 50%, you will be paid anything you ask. Once you have proven yourself to the stakeholders, they will give you anything to have you stay on and get the price to increase even further.

Offline oco101

• View Profile
You will be rewarded extremely handsomely by shareholders as a paid delegate if you do something like this. Just look at how big corporations reward top executives with massive bonuses. We will do the same thing for people we can see have made us money.

Maybe but how can I be sure all of you agree to give me what I want. What if i want more ?:) With scenario 2 I don't have to worry.

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Sounds good really like the Bitshare OS analogy . But what about the following scenario :

• BTS price is 1$. I raise money to develop my Dapp(not easy need to convince the majority of BTS network to get the funds...). I'm lunching a amazing Dapp let's take  Music as an example.  My Dapp is doing absolutely great let's suppose that it is the most popular on the Bitshare OS and maybe other Dapps are not doing so great. So now because of my amazing Dapps,  BTS  is worth1.5$. Because there is no such think as Notes there is no way I will make money out of Bitshare OS except if I own BTS( by the way those i should buy myself with my own money) and hope that different good Dapps are there to raise the value of the BTS. But what if someone is starting selling DaappCocaine now my BTS are going  down like  bitcoin, now I'm losing money.  As a developer the only way to make money it using the PeerTrack website.
  • Now same idea but as independent DAC, I clone Bitshare OS so I have all the goodies of the toolkit( I print my own bitUSD). I have no intention to go against Bitshare at all I just want to run my business and do one think well, sell music that's it. I pre-sale Notes  to acquire some founds classical style,( I may honor AGS/PTS holder just for the fun of it  :P). I lunch. Notes are going to the moon, the shareholders are happy my shares are not diluted by other non successful Dapps . I'm not is in danger of collapse because of dangerous DappCocaine.

Of course this scenario will not apply for every third party DAC but for some I thing will be an attractive alternative i.e A DAC like Music is special they don't need the network effect of the cryptoword, so they don't really need the network effect of Bitshare OS and BTS shareholders

Before you could build your own business, now you could only be an employee .

I use Music as a example not suggesting anything here.I'm also 100% absolutely in favor for the merger, because I thinks this is the best thing to do at this point in time no question about. We are to small to do it otherwise.  I just don't think this is the best solution long term. I still prefer the  of  1000 blockhain original philosophy model more than Bitshareum one chain model.

Offline oco101

• View Profile

Sounds good really like the Bitshare OS analogy . But what about the following scenario :

• BTS price is 1$. I raise money to develop my Dapp(not easy need to convince the majority of BTS network to get the funds...). I'm lunching a amazing Dapp let's take  Music as an example.  My Dapp is doing absolutely great let's suppose that it is the most popular on the Bitshare OS and maybe other Dapps are not doing so great. So now because of my amazing Dapps,  BTS  is worth1.5$. Because there is no such think as Notes there is no way I will make money out of Bitshare OS except if I own BTS( by the way those i should buy myself with my own money) and hope that different good Dapps are there to raise the value of the BTS. But what if someone is starting selling DaappCocaine now my BTS are going  down like  bitcoin, now I'm losing money.  As a developer the only way to make money it using the PeerTrack website.
  • Now same idea but as independent DAC, I clone Bitshare OS so I have all the goodies of the toolkit( I print my own bitUSD). I have no intention to go against Bitshare at all I just want to run my business and do one think well, sell music that's it. I pre-sale Notes  to acquire some founds classical style,( I may honor AGS/PTS holder just for the fun of it  :P). I lunch. Notes are going to the moon, the shareholders are happy my shares are not diluted by other non successful Dapps . I'm not is in danger of collapse because of dangerous DappCocaine.

Of course this scenario will not apply for every third party DAC but for some I thing will be an attractive alternative i.e A DAC like Music is special they don't need the network effect of the cryptoword, so they don't really need the network effect of Bitshare OS and BTS shareholders

Before you could build your own business, now you could only be an employee .

I use Music as a example not suggesting anything here.I'm also 100% absolutely in favor for the merger, because I thinks this is the best thing to do at this point in time no question about. We are to small to do it otherwise.  I just don't think this is the best solution long term. I still prefer the  of  1000 blockhain original philosophy model more than Bitshareum one chain model. 

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
+5%

And with user interfaces ranging from a debit card to a smart phone app to a web app to a full up e-trade console to a voting booth to a, um, I can't say yet....

Hmm... e-commerce marketplace? Just wild speculation.

Offline fuzzy

Let's say I am a DAC/decentralized application developer and I want to use the network effect how do I do it? I can think of two ways:
a) Write something that rides on top of the BTSX blockchain, e.g. like Counterparty does with BTC with an Ethereum style scripting environment. Here I would have an own token for which I could define what it's value is (what is is required for).
b) Working together with I3 and do a merger so that my application is a feature without an own token.

How do you envision that (now that devs should not create their own DAC with the toolkit)?

[I will check your answer tomorrow; late her :)]

Well, first, we have always said we are not releasing DACs ourselves - just a toolkit for developers.  Now I'm trying out the view that this toolkit can be more than just static software - it can be a full-up DAC mall with increasing customer traffic.  Something more valuable than free software libraries.

Under this model, DSL's BTSX (a bank and exchange) could be viewed as one of the first mall anchor tenants...

And if this metaphor catches on, then it would inform what else gets added to the toolkit to allow plug-and-play DACs to move in and set up operations quickly.
Still awake. This kept me awake http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2jw5pm/im_gavin_andresen_chief_scientist_at_the_bitcoin/clg5g9n Please upvote...

Back on the topic: ...But what would be the option now for third party devs that want to build an application? Aside from the options I pointed out above a third party dev on his own chain could get community/i3 approval if he allocated 20%+ of BTS (without X) to his DAC which would be based on the toolkit.
Am I right that the toolkit would be equal to BTS?

Did you think about legal implications of all the changes?

Well innovations are happening at lightning speed so it is hard to say.

I'm just an old metaphor peddler, so we'll see if it catches on.

But it seems to me your suggested methods would work and that a DAC Mall Tenant API might be designed.  Or it could eventually be just apps you install in the DAC-OS.

There's quite a difference between MS-DOS and MAC-OS-X so who knows where it might go.

With Turing complete smart contracts, you might launch your business without formally building a DAC.

And with user interfaces ranging from a debit card to a smart phone app to a web app to a full up e-trade console to a voting booth to a, um, I can't say yet....  There will be many ways to build unmanned businesses on the platform.

And yes, a third party merger can now proceed from inception as a delegate who is seeking VC funding from the community through development to installation with help from the core devs where appropriate.  Honoring the 20% BTS deal would become the formal negotiated deal to get space in the mall.  A much more compelling proposition than free-standing DACs have had to motivate them up to this point.  Now, you'd be crazy to turn down a 20-80 merger with that much going for it.

+5%
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Let's say I am a DAC/decentralized application developer and I want to use the network effect how do I do it? I can think of two ways:
a) Write something that rides on top of the BTSX blockchain, e.g. like Counterparty does with BTC with an Ethereum style scripting environment. Here I would have an own token for which I could define what it's value is (what is is required for).
b) Working together with I3 and do a merger so that my application is a feature without an own token.

How do you envision that (now that devs should not create their own DAC with the toolkit)?

Well, first, we have always said we are not releasing DACs ourselves - just a toolkit for developers.  Now I'm trying out the view that this toolkit can be more than just static software - it can be a full-up DAC mall with increasing customer traffic.  Something more valuable than free software libraries.

Under this model, DSL's BTSX (a bank and exchange) could be viewed as one of the first mall anchor tenants...

And if this metaphor catches on, then it would inform what else gets added to the toolkit to allow plug-and-play DACs to move in and set up operations quickly.
Still awake. This kept me awake http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2jw5pm/im_gavin_andresen_chief_scientist_at_the_bitcoin/clg5g9n Please upvote...

Back on the topic: ...But what would be the option now for third party devs that want to build an application? Aside from the options I pointed out above a third party dev on his own chain could get community/i3 approval if he allocated 20%+ of BTS (without X) to his DAC which would be based on the toolkit.

Well innovations are happening at lightning speed so it is hard to say.

I'm just an old metaphor peddler, so we'll see if it catches on.

But it seems to me your suggested methods would work and that a DAC Mall Tenant API might be designed.  Or it could eventually be just apps you install in the DAC-OS.

There's quite a difference between MS-DOS and MAC-OS-X so who knows where it might go.

With Turing complete smart contracts, you might launch your business without formally building a DAC.

And with user interfaces ranging from a debit card to a smart phone app to a web app to a full up e-trade console to a voting booth to a, um, I can't say yet....  There will be many ways to build unmanned businesses on the platform.

And yes, a third party merger can now proceed from inception as a delegate who is seeking VC funding from the community through development to installation with help from the core devs where appropriate.  Honoring the 20% BTS deal would become the formal negotiated deal to get space in the mall.  A much more compelling proposition than free-standing DACs have had to motivate them up to this point.  Now, you'd be crazy to turn down a 20-80 merger with that much going for it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:00:33 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Stan, I love your wording "DAC-OS"
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Newton had to be hit on the head with an apple to discover gravity.
Fleming had to mess up his lab with moldy dishes to discover penicillin.
Most archeological treasures are discovered while digging sewage ditches.

I'd rather be lucky than good.  :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Quote from: Stan

:D

Ah, what memories!
A dream fulfilled at last!
Just wait for the land rush!