Author Topic: Theft incident happened on bit-u.com @ DigitalOcean  (Read 27592 times)

Offline joesmoe

• View Profile
This exchange was brand new.

To me, silfax was a new name.

The site was clearly labelled beta.

Silfax was obviously new at setting up an exchange, his project appeared in every capacity to just be a small project, hosted on a DO VPS none the less.

Anybody who honestly thinks Silfax is the idiot to blame for them losing their PTS...

Anyhow Silfax I'm out a couple BTC and a few hundred PTS, will go and try to withdraw my 58% now.

Offline Ethapus

• View Profile
My point of view: shit happens, and although this shit probably should not have happened the way it did, well, it's too late now.
Bottom line, I am grateful for Silfax to have had the courage to stay, face all the anger, and deal with the situation as best as he could. I am very glad to at least get back 58% and will not whine for more. Imo this is probably the fairest solution that could be found under these circumstances, and I would not expect Silfax to pay for everyones losses out of his own pocket, if he even can. Most probably Silfax was stressed more by this than anyone else and had serious losses too. Surely everyone learned a lessons from this, and that may well be seen positively.

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
Okay, the site is up for withdraws, and will be up until Wednesday 6am EST, 11am GMT.

Offline cudido

• View Profile
Noooo! You are lost BTC? Ok, withdraw all PTS and not only the 58%!!!!

Sent from my RM-825_apac_hong_kong_210 using Tapatalk

Offline Silfax

• View Profile
Update - so Digitalocean is being rather unresponsive unfortunately, and I'm doubtful about the prospect of tracing this, to my great dismay.

In terms of giving out all that we have left, I have been getting a bunch of PMs, so I'll just clarify here.

--

At the going rate of about 0.012 (on cryptsy), with all of the funds that the exchange still has, we can afford to let everyone withdraw 58% of their total balances and orders.

I'll put up the site soon (in around an hour), and give everyone around 36 hours to withdraw all of their funds, and then I will close the site again indefinitely, unless new information from DO comes to light.

In case anyone wasn't clear, you will still have BTC in your balance, but when you withdraw, it will ask you to enter a PTS address instead, and it will send you 0.012 * your BTC * 58%.

If at the end of the 36 hours the site still has some funds, I will pass that out manually to users most affected.

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
@silfax: PM'd you my claim and proposed resolution, for the loss occurred to my account.  Please let me know your take on this matter.

Offline cudido

• View Profile
The PTS wasn't touched, so I still have access to that, and will return it to its owners; I'm thinking most likely to make it most fair that I  convert everyone's balances to PTS, and then reimburse everyone as best I can with what's left.

Not fair and not serious.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
It seems to me the simplest thing to do is simply to start back up the server and let people make their withdrawals. Any other "settlement" system is likely to take a long time and more likely to cause worse problems when mistakes are made in the process. Personally, I had both BTC and PTS on the exchange, but I just want to get back whatever I can and as soon as possible.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I wonder what VPS inputs.io used ... this could be an interesting "coincidence"

Offline yago

• View Profile
If I were in the place of Silfax, I think that I would auction the exchange software somewhere on this this forum to pay some of the IOU.
http://bitsharestalk.org/donate.html  <---- Donate to the BitShares Forum ----> PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline raspu

• View Profile
The ip belongs to privateinternetaccess.com. This is a VPN company that supposedly doesn't keep logs of who connected and through which IP operated. So, probably is impossible to track.
PTS: PnGggh65DYZMbfR6h9LEsYKQ7xeAm5dH62

Offline legitnick

• View Profile
I had just sold some PTS before all this went down, will it be possible to get my 0.15btc back? I'm fine with getting back PTS.  >:(

Offline liquiddrool

• View Profile

Offline Entz

• View Profile
How does he know what addresses to send payments to?
that is a good question. I would assume that he will re-enable logins and users can withdrawl them (fee free!) to whatever account they choose.
BTC: 1LqcX722yd45669em1gt2Ba6yB3kRCRAQF
Bitcointalk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=115754

Offline emeaux

• View Profile
How does he know what addresses to send payments to?