Author Topic: Bitsharestalk.org needs to be simplified: make your suggestions.  (Read 2910 times)

Offline kisa

• View Profile
although this thread is asking for simplifications - here a complementary thought:

when counting the number of posts by members - would it make sense to distinguish the posts by their significance?
E.g. posts count by member would include three numbers: "total posts", of that "significant posts" versus "unhelpful posts"...

For instance, I could go through the forum and simply post  +5% multiple times, or even troll, thus increasing my count and making me appearing serious to newbies... On the other extreme, there are members who put time and effort into writing and designing their entries, which then have serious impact on the community and devs. So, similar to reddit, any post may be up or downvoted, and certain tresholds of net up- and downvotes would put it into "significant" or "unhelpful" counts. If a post gets lots of both up and downvotes, it could perhaps be counted into additional "controversial" category.

If such distinction is implemented, then members' hierarchy and badges would be measured more accurately going forward and so provide better orientation especially for newbies...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:53:35 pm by kisa »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I was just about to post this....

General Discussion
Development & Technical Discussion
Technical Support
Project Development - Organization of BitShares and related projects bounty campaigns, advertising
Trading Discussion
Politics & Philosophy
Beginners & Help
Alternative DACs
Archival
Meta

+

Delegate Bios & Campaign Material
Delegate Proposals for Consideration

Offline joele

• View Profile
I'd like to see the CHAT feature on this forum highlighted or made to stand out so more people start having discussions in the chat feature. Or it would be nice to see a live chat on the sidebar of the forum something like what BTC-E has.
+5%

Offline Thom

I have been active here on the forum for only about 2 months now, and I've spent most of my time in the general discussion / newbie sections. The top level hierarchy proposed sounds good to me, but it might be good to look at the existing general discussion and determine if there is a better set of child forums under it.

This forum is an absolutely huge effort to stay on top of.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
I'd like to see the CHAT feature on this forum highlighted or made to stand out so more people start having discussions in the chat feature. Or it would be nice to see a live chat on the sidebar of the forum something like what BTC-E has.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline mint chocolate chip

I would also like to propose the removal of "Vote for Bitsapphire and Support the Bitsharestalk forum" and replace it with a link to relevant news. Example: the emergency conference call on mumble the other day or an official announcement or proposal from bytemaster.

I put a related suggestion in the the Meta section the other day... why do we have a link to the Testnet where News is at the top right? We are way beyond the Testnet at this point and the link only takes you to the forum anyway.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I would also like to propose the removal of "Vote for Bitsapphire and Support the Bitsharestalk forum" and replace it with a link to relevant news. Example: the emergency conference call on mumble the other day or an official announcement or proposal from bytemaster.

Offline fuzzy

we need DACs for this!!!! :O

No worries...the tools will be coming forthwith ;)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline davidpbrown

Suggestion, can we change the user ranking by order by date registered instead of number of post, so we know who are the more senior and more knowledgeable.

As with BTT you can float your cursor over the username and see the username=number, that gives a sense of their registration. Your's then suggests an impressive three digits 301! I'm not envious though, I have a four digit BTT from 2010 to fall back on. ;p
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline joele

• View Profile
Suggestion, can we change the user ranking by order by date registered instead of number of post, so we know who are the more senior and more knowledgeable.

Offline davidpbrown

I like most of the subforums within the [Discussion] and [Decentralized Autonomous Companies] elements. That DAC element is especially important to help focus attention and thought on core DACs. "Task Forces" and "Press" could be subforums to "Marketing".

I think you could remove subforums of [Stakeholders] and [Economy]. Perhaps save "Economics" into a new [Miscellaneous] element and "Trading Discussion" into the [Discussion] element. Perhaps then rename "Random Discussion" as "Off-topic" and into [Miscellaneous] with Meta and Graveyard.

Perhaps [Local] could become six continents?.. that would avoid future need to spawn ~196 of them.

I wonder you might benefit from a closed forum, that only [Heros and Devs and Moderators] contribute to.. perhaps that would be closed or read-only. Doing that perhaps might allow more pithy content for new users to get up to speed on core issues and also make the debate around proposals more sensible and controlled.

Incidentally the [Recent Posts] element is really useful and could do with being a slightly longer history.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:26:49 pm by davidpbrown »
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Not sure if this can be accomplished yet .. not sure how DNS,VOTE, BTSX will be really implemented ..

but in general I completely agree here!

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bytemaster

I was just about to post this....

General Discussion
Development & Technical Discussion
Technical Support
Project Development - Organization of BitShares and related projects bounty campaigns, advertising
Trading Discussion
Politics & Philosophy
Beginners & Help
Alternative DACs
Archival
Meta

Yes I just ripped off Bitcointalk...
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.