Author Topic: BitShares to become Decentralized Autonomous Community  (Read 22805 times)

Offline Mysto

• View Profile

I never intended this thread to completely change everything...

You need to get that on a mug or something lol.
^This
Or at the very least start new threads with that as a header lol.

Offline Thom

BM made another good post (not that this one was bad or anything...:) ) explaining the reasoning and some good guidelines on use of the "company" metaphor.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10767.msg141723#msg141723

This thread has been very enlightening and points out how different messages reach different audiences. 

BTS will be marketed according to how the marketers feel it will be best and I am deferring to their judgement.

Good discussion everyone.

Your OP in this thread really resonated with me in terms of the voluntary, community thrust, but threw me for a loop in terms of marketing. Thanks BM for responding to the feedback here by posting the clarification thread GaltReport posted above. It really went a long way in easing the tension I was feeling. I comprehend what you're trying to do much better after reading that. +5%
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
It's kind of like the stock market's reaction to the Fed chair's words.

Yes, its exactly like that!

Bytemaster posts, and the market cap of BTSX moves up or down, just as the fed announcements cause swings in the Dow.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
This thread has been very enlightening and points out how different messages reach different audiences. 

BTS will be marketed according to how the marketers feel it will be best and I am deferring to their judgement.

Good to hear. While these may be some great ideas, they may not necessarily be the most marketable. Hope the marketing guys know what they're doing.

They do... and this idea of mine has been properly tempered so those who have freaked out about the post can calm down...

It's kind of like the stock market's reaction to the Fed chair's words. The pace of announcements here has been a bit fast and furious of late. If someone takes the time to dig into the content and appreciate the vision, then it all fits. For my part, I bought a little more of that BTSX people were selling. But I think if BitShares has reached the point where it needs to be for this next phase, it might not hurt to let the beast develop on its own for a bit.

zerosum

Offline bytemaster

Good to hear. While these may be some great ideas, they may not necessarily be the most marketable. Hope the marketing guys know what they're doing.

They do... and this idea of mine has been properly tempered so those who have freaked out about the post can calm down...
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline wackou

I like the idea very much! This resembles a lot what I describe here: http://digitalgaia.io/philosophy.html

This is much more powerful than the metaphor of a company for me as it is much more based on freedom and voluntary participation, and not written contracts which might find themselves obsolete at some point due to a changing environment and the need to adapt. And I believe BitShares is exactly the type of DAC that can adapt, through natural selection of the delegates over time. There is no single entity in charge (which might become corrupt over time), but rather consensus from the community that a certain group of people should receive funding in order to work on a specific aspect of the DAC.

And if people want bytemaster to continue to "be in charge", we just need to vote him as delegate and keep putting our trust and faith in him, and let him lead development as he has until now. There is no need for a formal contract, as I believe he would do exactly the same without.

Let us try to build something for once based on trust and reputation, and freedom, rather than contracts, obligations, and greed...
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
To become a sovereign nation: All we need is an island, a blockchain and a few more women

Happy to captain one of the vessels in the sailing fleet, when the time comes. ;)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Regardless of how good any particular idea is, if you keep making 90 degree turns with little to no warning, people are going to lose confidence. Why should I believe the direction you are promoting for BitShares today when in less than two weeks, there will be a whole new twist to adopt?

And how will there ever be an effective marketing campaign when the "company" and "product" are constantly being described in different ways?

There is no 'regardless.'  If an idea has merit, it has merit.  The marketing push will not happen until things have stabilized.  Try to think on a slightly longer timeline, though I appreciate that it's very easy to be swept along by this rapidly evolving technology.

Speaking of evolution, we need Bytemaster and friends to build us the equivalent of a shark as quickly as possible.  Something that's going to thrive in these primordial waters, reach apex predator status with a design that's good for 350 million years.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
You dont need confidence in BTS .. you want it in bitUSD

TurkeyLeg

Regardless of how good any particular idea is, if you keep making 90 degree turns with little to no warning, people are going to lose confidence. Why should I believe the direction you are promoting for BitShares today when in less than two weeks, there will be a whole new twist to adopt?

And how will there ever be an effective marketing campaign when the "company" and "product" are constantly being described in different ways?

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
To become a sovereign nation: All we need is an island, a blockchain and a few more women

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline GaltReport

BM made another good post (not that this one was bad or anything...:) ) explaining the reasoning and some good guidelines on use of the "company" metaphor.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10767.msg141723#msg141723