Author Topic: BTS will dilute maximum 10% per year?  (Read 3974 times)

julian1

Not being able to tell people that Bitshares is deflationary - just like bitcoin is a big disadvantage imho.

It would be better to create a once-off 3 billion btx allocation, instead of 2.5 and create a .5 billion fund to the delegates to distribute for marketing/development.

Inflation is a bad thing and uncertainty about future unknown inflation is worse. Scarcity is what made Bitcoin valuable and it even gets enforced cryptographically.

If Bitcoin is to be considered a 'currency' and Bitshares a 'company share' (at least what it used to be until recently), then it should be fine for a 20% dilution first year and max 10% dilution following each year.  This is because most companies (in real life) have their dilution schemes and Bitshare DAC should not be considered any different.  Dilution is part and parcel of a company's life.

If we pursue the company metaphor, then directors frequently demonstrate their confidence to the market by pursuing the opposite tactic - a share buyback. Also, companies generally prefer debt financing to equity financing (issuing more shares) because it increases leverage and therefore shareholder dividends, after fixed interest liabilities and taxes are met.

Create an open-ended ability to tap the Bitshares issued base, and you will lose the support of all the libertarian, conservative, Von Mises types that were attracted to crypto-assets/currencies due to their ability to enforce scarcity via technology.

Clearly, the Bitshares ecosystem/community needs to be funded, and there's a free-rider problem which makes it difficult to allocate the costs. A one-time increase in the share issue to create the required fund is a lot more likely to keep outsider's confidence in the system.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:52:58 am by julian1 »

Offline svk

You guys also forget to take into account that transaction fees will be burnt and thus counteract the delegate capital infusion. So the final maximum yearly inflation will be even lower than Ander's calculation.

This is an excellent point.
Is there any data on the rate of BTS burning from transaction fees and where best to track it?
Not yet, although you can estimate it from the current supply vs the initial supply of 2 billion.

I'll start tracking and plotting supply of BTS as well as assets soon on my site.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
You guys also forget to take into account that transaction fees will be burnt and thus counteract the delegate capital infusion. So the final maximum yearly inflation will be even lower than Ander's calculation.

Is there any data on the rate of BTS burning from transaction fees and where best to track it?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Don't forget the Interest rates that bitAsset's holders will get...

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline gyhy

• View Profile
Must not be inflation, at least at this point

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
Not being able to tell people that Bitshares is deflationary - just like bitcoin is a big disadvantage imho.

It would be better to create a once-off 3 billion btx allocation, instead of 2.5 and create a .5 billion fund to the delegates to distribute for marketing/development.

Inflation is a bad thing and uncertainty about future unknown inflation is worse. Scarcity is what made Bitcoin valuable and it even gets enforced cryptographically.

If Bitcoin is to be considered a 'currency' and Bitshares a 'company share' (at least what it used to be until recently), then it should be fine for a 20% dilution first year and max 10% dilution following each year.  This is because most companies (in real life) have their dilution schemes and Bitshare DAC should not be considered any different.  Dilution is part and parcel of a company's life.

ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

julian1

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
If Bitshares were a currency, I would not be o.k. with this dilution. But since Bitshares is not a currency as is more like a company, I am o.k. with it.

I think people who are not o.k. with it probably still see it as a currency. Gotta make sure the distinction is made clear and obvious

zerosum

"Future dilution will have a hard coded limit of 10% per year and will be allocated to delegates that campaign and get approval for their pay.  This 10% limit may be raised via a hard fork with shareholder approval.     Our new "social consensus" will be that "majority shareholders rule" and everything else is subject to change.   "

Does it mean BTS will expand to 2.5billion and dilute 10% of 2.5billion per year?

Its actually more like 6.3% maximum (bytemaster changed it to 50 BTS per block max, which for a year is around 6.3%). 
50 bts per block * 6 blocks a minute * 60 minutes per hour * 24 hours a day * 365 days a year is 157,680,000 BTS that could be created in 1 year, if we elected 101 delegates at max pay.  (Which wont happen)

157,680,000 is 6.3% of 2.5 billion. 

What is a more realistic number?  Probably under 2% inflation.  Why? Because we arent going to be electing 101 paid delegates at max pay! 
We are probably going to elect way less than that for max pay.  Most delegates will probably sit at the default 3% pay which is similar to what they currently get, and therefore the actual inflation will be much lower.

For no practical value at all, other than being contrarian :)

157,680,000  of 2.0 billion is 7.884% max.
(500/2) Million / 2.0 billion is 12.5%   - SuperDAC airdrop inflation/dilution.

So the total is  20.384% max inflation in year #1....

Just saying....

[disclaimer] I am strongly pro SuperDAC, very strongly so, I just do not like the unnecessary overstatements.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:32:37 am by tonyk2 »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
"Future dilution will have a hard coded limit of 10% per year and will be allocated to delegates that campaign and get approval for their pay.  This 10% limit may be raised via a hard fork with shareholder approval.     Our new "social consensus" will be that "majority shareholders rule" and everything else is subject to change.   "

Does it mean BTS will expand to 2.5billion and dilute 10% of 2.5billion per year?

Its actually more like 6.3% maximum (bytemaster changed it to 50 BTS per block max, which for a year is around 6.3%). 
50 bts per block * 6 blocks a minute * 60 minutes per hour * 24 hours a day * 365 days a year is 157,680,000 BTS that could be created in 1 year, if we elected 101 delegates at max pay.  (Which wont happen)

157,680,000 is 6.3% of 2.5 billion. 

What is a more realistic number?  Probably under 2% inflation.  Why? Because we arent going to be electing 101 paid delegates at max pay! 
We are probably going to elect way less than that for max pay.  Most delegates will probably sit at the default 3% pay which is similar to what they currently get, and therefore the actual inflation will be much lower.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:52:05 am by Ander »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Delegates don't vote for it, shareholders vote for delegates taking into consideration the pay rate they request, and the pay is taken from shareholders by dilution if they approve the delegate.

A more accurate explanation than my shorthand. Thank you.

zerosum

We will have the same dilution level as bitcoin at max but it will be directed into direct and continual improvement of BTS.   8)

Am I going blind or did Rune stole you account password?

Or just the pom-poms you found on the street and decided using them, so they do not go wasted?

Offline gamey

• View Profile

We will have the same dilution level as bitcoin at max but it will be directed into direct and continual improvement of BTS.   8)
I speak for myself and only myself.