Author Topic: Please don't rebrand BTSX to just BitShares  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
BitShares - the worlds first decentralized autonomous cooperative governed entirely by the stakeholders to facilitate an efficient and profitable businesses.

"The World's First Unmanned Company" is much more compelling.

Offline pseudoscops

A change of name would also make it clearer to people on the fringes that the proposed alterations to the ecosystem have occurred.

Imagine if the name remained the same - when additional shares suddenly appear on coinmarketcap, potential investors who aren't completely in the know could think,"WTF, what are they playing at, suddenly increasing the supply to cheat?".

However, if the name changes at the same time as the available supply going up, people watching coinmarketcap could think, "Oh, BitShares has changed - I'll have to look into that".

Know what I mean?

+5% I agree a name change is now required to signify that we haven't just diluted supply. Agree it will spark curiosity too and lead to new users.
Also agree with the sentiments in Dan's response too. Glad to see he is now using Decentralized Autonomous Cooperative instead of Decentralized Autonomous Community. That was my idea  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:45:59 pm by pseudoscops »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Don't you work there now?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I gave notice to leave my employer a while back.  It wasn't the kind of thing I can abandon with no notice and do quickly.  I'm planning to head to VA in a week or so.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority about liking the name BTSX, which is good because it isn't staying :)  So no worries!

Hah! Not worried. Just thought it was weird you posting this thread like an outsider but your post explains why that is the case.

Congrats on getting hired :).

Thanks, I kinda wish I could have been in VA earlier and maybe impact how changes were made and communicated.   Probably I'm just nervous to watch the last weeks play out right after I quit my job.  I know everything was discussed a lot and I didn't follow the discussions close enough but the changes still feel a bit rushed to me.  Plus it personally impacts how I would fit into things with I3 so I have to figure that out too. 

Although I'm still figuring out how the new vision affects everything, I do see advantages to getting behind one BitShares chain, dropping the "X" and the potential to emerge stronger and more united.

now you heading to the vortex of power. So you will get more inside and will have more knowledge as we are on the forum. So you are far ahead.

Merger is happening, so it will be good to simplify everything. From this point of view, to remove the X is on the longrun a better decision.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

I gave notice to leave my employer a while back.  It wasn't the kind of thing I can abandon with no notice and do quickly.  I'm planning to head to VA in a week or so.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority about liking the name BTSX, which is good because it isn't staying :)  So no worries!

Hah! Not worried. Just thought it was weird you posting this thread like an outsider but your post explains why that is the case.

Thanks, I kinda wish I could have been in VA earlier and maybe impact how changes were made and communicated.   Probably I'm just nervous to watch the last weeks play out right after I quit my job.  I know everything was discussed a lot and I didn't follow the discussions close enough but the changes still feel a bit rushed to me.  Plus it personally impacts how I would fit into things with I3 so I have to figure that out too. 

Although I'm still figuring out how the new vision affects everything, I do see advantages to getting behind one BitShares chain, dropping the "X" and the potential to emerge stronger and more united.

Offline mint chocolate chip

Losing the generic X is great. To me it always kind of seemed like we used the ambiguous X because we did not know what else to call it.

What about the name of the website for which you download the software, the x in https://bitshares-x.info/ is now kind of odd.

Offline Methodise

Oh my gosh bitshares is better than bitshares-yuck.
BTS: methodise

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Every major tech company seems to have two syllable names.

Facebook
Google
Twitter
Apple
Bitcoin

Industrial Light and Magic...
Bionic Panda Games...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
Every major tech company seems to have two syllable names.

Facebook
Google
Twitter
Apple
Bitcoin
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You made your point well. But I like BitShares better without the X. We'll get used to it.

Offline Riverhead

Offline gamey

• View Profile
If bitshares x is bad then I am not under the belief bitshares is an improvement.   Might as well go with bitbank or any other name. 
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Agent86

• View Profile

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
BitShares is simple, unified, and captures what it is without extra overhead or the need to explain more.  It is easy to say, spell, and use.  It parallels Bitcoin nicely. 

X sounds eXtreme or "over hyped" or "advanced" or some other feeling that people don't get or like.

+5%
My feeling is that some people would see the "X" as a bit naff, aimed at youngsters, and with potential to become dated quickly. I'm thinking along the lines of products from the 1990's being described as "mega" or "super".

A change of name would also make it clearer to people on the fringes that the proposed alterations to the ecosystem have occurred.

Imagine if the name remained the same - when additional shares suddenly appear on coinmarketcap, potential investors who aren't completely in the know could think,"WTF, what are they playing at, suddenly increasing the supply to cheat?".

However, if the name changes at the same time as the available supply going up, people watching coinmarketcap could think, "Oh, BitShares has changed - I'll have to look into that".

Know what I mean?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Agent86

• View Profile
I liked the branding of BitShares X as a bank and exchange.  I think just calling it "BitShares" is too generic and not descriptive enough of its function.  I still believe that one blockchain won't be all things to all people.

The bitshares blockchain is simply a protocol standard. Its meant to be generic. What is not meant to be generic are the companies that leverage that protocol for their operation. These are all front ends to the bitshares backend. Each of these companies will have their own website and marketing strategy.
The bitshares blockchain is not just a "protocol standard."   It is now a specific blockchain with a specific distribution with specific stakeholders.  I hope we could get a bunch of companies to add value to our blockchain by using it as their backend and get this one chain to take on a generic all encompassing role doing all sorts of different functions, but this feels like the "one chain to rule them all" strategy that we've argued against in the past and may have drawbacks.

Trying desperately to make things "simple" to appeal to "investors" who apparently can't otherwise follow what we are doing is unnecessary in my opinion.

You seem to forget that the "rebranding" makes things simple for consumers. Aside from consolidating the value proposition of bitshares into one medium, it also consolidates and bolsters the currency markets, which facilitate the use of this technology. It is more of a logistical necessity than simply a marketing ploy.
I think the "rebranding" is a separate thing from BM choosing to focus on one chain and one group of stakeholders.  I agree that promoting a bunch of competing bitUSD is not helpful and I've said the same to BM.  I also think it is understandable for BM to pick one project.

In any case I just persoanlly liked the name BitShares X but I don't expect to change things at this point.  The BTSX name didn't seem confusing to me and now I might get confused when someone says bitshares if they are talking about the new superDAC or if they are talking more broadly.

Offline Riverhead