Author Topic: October Newsletter - Halloween Edition  (Read 30385 times)

Offline theoretical

Where can I find the non-draft version of this?  http://bitshares.org/bitshares-reloaded/ points to an under construction page.
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline thisisausername

I'm still trying to understand the economics of this concept of self-funded growth. In theory, if there were no dilution, and everybody agreed to pay existing BTS in proportion to their stake for the same expense, wouldn't the economic outcome be exactly the same as for dilution, except that the market cap of all shares would be spread over a different supply of shares?

If so, is the real benefit of dilution not an economic one, but a political/administrative one because it provides a more graceful mechanism for an expense to be shared without any enforcement of transactions?

I ask this not out of any negativity toward the power to dilute when appropriate (and I'm sure it has its place), but just wondering how dilution facilitates a higher level of growth.
Yes.

Yes.

Because "more graceful" is an understatement (without forced dilution and with the need for dev funds, the game reduces to a prisoner's dilemma.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:09:11 am by thisisausername »
Pjo39s6hfpWexsZ6gEBC9iwH9HTAgiEXTG

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit

Competitive Edge #2:  Self-Funded Growth

Metaphors matter.  If BitShares were a currency, we would want it to have a limited supply.  If BitShares were a company, it would happily issue new shares to propel growth by attracting new infusions of cash, services, or intellectual capital.  What should BitShares the community do?   We think it should fairly recognize the contributions of all of its members – past, present, and future.  Fast-growing companies recognize that, as long as the value infused from new sources exceeds the value of shares issued, the future value of everybody’s shares will increase.   The BitShares community will therefore use the company metaphor, not the currency metaphor, to inform its growth policy decisions.

How will this work?  Well, Bitcoin has for years issued 50 new bitcoin “shares” every block to incentivize its mining “employees” to do the work required to secure its network.  This policy gradually increases the supply of its shares but does nothing to increase their value because the work done has no residual benefit.  The net cost of this wasteful work is about a half billion dollars per year.  If that new money didn’t have to be spent on outrageously expensive security, it could grant 101 small businesses an annual budget of 5 million dollars each to do something useful, something to promote Bitcoin’s growth.

BitShares is able to use its DPOS technology to do exactly that!  It will also offer up to 50 BTS per block to incentivize 101 employees (delegates) to secure the network PLUS do something useful to grow stakeholder value.  Since its DPOS security mechanism is so efficient, almost all of the BTS issued will go toward software, marketing, and infrastructure.  Stakeholders must approve new issuances by explicitly approving any new-hires that they are convinced will add more value than they consume.  They may choose to issue zero new shares; and, there is a hard-coded limit of 50 BTS per block (~6.3% annually).  It will likely be half that – far below Bitcoins ~10% inflation.

BitShares is the first blockchain that can hire its own staff.

The BitShares community, viewed as a company, will soon have 101 job openings for people who can help grow the business.  These will be highly competitive elected positions subject to approval of the stakeholders.  Each of these openings is able to pay employees with stake in the enterprise, just like any successful startup would do.   This is a huge competitive advantage; and, it is what will allow BitShares to fund the technology and user base growth needed to penetrate all sectors of the global economy.   It is a true a game changer that will ultimately attract the best and brightest talent to join our community. This is the competitive advantage that may well propel BitShares beyond Bitcoin in the next few years.

I'm still trying to understand the economics of this concept of self-funded growth. In theory, if there were no dilution, and everybody agreed to pay existing BTS in proportion to their stake for the same expense, wouldn't the economic outcome be exactly the same as for dilution, except that the market cap of all shares would be spread over a different supply of shares?

If so, is the real benefit of dilution not an economic one, but a political/administrative one because it provides a more graceful mechanism for an expense to be shared without any enforcement of transactions?

I ask this not out of any negativity toward the power to dilute when appropriate (and I'm sure it has its place), but just wondering how dilution facilitates a higher level of growth.

chryspano

This thread is about the October Newsletter, I will re link it here http://bitshares.org/bitshares-reloaded/

Those of you that sold your bts high and now you are running out of time to buy them back cheap please create another thread. I don't think it would be a bad idea for moderators to start deleting future unrelated posts.

Offline N1947

• View Profile
meaning of other stakeholders is dev got almost 2k btc in their pocket now,what a lucrative bizzz.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Welcome N1947!  I'm glad the community has found one new member to replace the many that left due to 'dilution'.  We need more strong hands to buy the panic dumped shares of those who left.

Nobody's left; come on. Get over it already. Only a fool or a manipulator would sell, and I suspect it's been mostly the latter. This thing's going to be bigger than ever.

And yes, welcome to N1947!

Some people definitely left, thats why we tanked by 50% in the second half of october.  It seems that the chinese community were mostly where the dumping occurred, since it was hard for the communication to reach them.

Obviously, those of us who are in the know used it to buy more shares.  I have about twice as many BTS now as I did a month ago.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline N1947

• View Profile
Welcome N1947!  I'm glad the community has found one new member to replace the many that left due to 'dilution'.  We need more strong hands to buy the panic dumped shares of those who left.
why many has left??????

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Nobody's left; come on. Get over it already. Only a fool or a manipulator would sell, and I suspect it's been mostly the latter. This thing's going to be bigger than ever.

And yes, welcome to N1947!

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline N1947

• View Profile
l 'd like to say that l m happy to join this community and believe made right choice that invested in BTSX(half of my btc) and DNS,even though couldn t withdraw my DNS from Bter,l wouldn t be able to withdraw them soon as new BTS wallet released.would l?
next year Bitshares popularity will increase hugely.
Thanks to all Dev T.
 :D

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile
I had all my PTS and BTSX in my wallet. I never got to import my PTS wallet into the new DNS wallet. Does that mean I missed getting any BTS for those DNS?
Nop.. you will get airdropped onto those too!!

Thank you so much. Tha'ts good to hear. :)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I had all my PTS and BTSX in my wallet. I never got to import my PTS wallet into the new DNS wallet. Does that mean I missed getting any BTS for those DNS?
Nop.. you will get airdropped onto those too!!

Offline bitcoinnoisseur

• View Profile

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
Hey guys!
As i understood PTS and AGS will live on after the snap shot today as snapshot base for 3rd party dacs.
What about BTSX? Will it also live on or will the new BTS be used as colleteral?
If BTSX lives on aswell, what can i understand under the new BTS?

BTSX rename   to BTS , that's all .

这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline First

• View Profile
Hey guys!
As i understood PTS and AGS will live on after the snap shot today as snapshot base for 3rd party dacs.
What about BTSX? Will it also live on or will the new BTS be used as colleteral?
If BTSX lives on aswell, what can i understand under the new BTS?