Author Topic: Why bitAssets are like "keys" to a "vault"  (Read 2046 times)

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
Great analogy. You're final comment made me think:

Could advanced trading features such as an automatically updating, one time fee, "sell at peg price" option be implemented?

This, in particular, would help strengthen the peg I think.

Edit: I suppose maybe that was an ignorant comment and this type of thing is already in the works, or at least planned.
Good idea but actually its difficult because of lags in the feed.
See here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9861.msg128211#msg128211

Hmm, well I hope it can be figured out somehow. I would say a custom scrypt would be good enough (even though that is not user friendly which is also very important), but that would still cost a lot in fees, as you said.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
It's a fun analogy. I (jokingly) used a similar analogy back in this post. I think relating the mechanisms written in code to physical mechanisms that people can more intuitively grasp has some merit. It may help some people better understand and analyze the economics of this system.
Yes I see - we could probably leave the trolls out of it though!

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
It's a fun analogy. I (jokingly) used a similar analogy back in this post. I think relating the mechanisms written in code to physical mechanisms that people can more intuitively grasp has some merit. It may help some people better understand and analyze the economics of this system.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
Great analogy. You're final comment made me think:

Could advanced trading features such as an automatically updating, one time fee, "sell at peg price" option be implemented?

Edit: I suppose maybe that was an ignorant comment and this type of thing is already in the works, or at least planned.
Good idea but actually its difficult because of lags in the feed.
See here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9861.msg128211#msg128211

Offline teenagecheese

• View Profile
Great analogy. Your final comment made me think:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:12:12 am by teenagecheese »

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
There are many different ways one can view bitAssets, and different analogies to draw. Some people may find this a useful analogy in the context of "the future of banking". I'd be interested to know if others find this useful, or in what way it could risk being misleading or inaccurate.

> start analogy

The collateral pools for each bitAsset can be thought of as separate vaults.
A bitAsset is a key that allows the holder to go to the vault, unlock it, and receive BTS to the value of a unit of the bitAsset. So for example, a bitUSD, or a key to the USD vault, allows you to unlock $1 worth of BTS from the vault, at which point that key is destroyed. A bitBTC, or a key to the BTC vault, allows you to unlock 1 BTC worth of BTS from the vault, at which point that key is destroyed.

You don't have immediate access to the vault however, and need to wait in a queue for a maximum of 30 days. People who choose to not demand their full entitlement are first in the queue, while those demanding their full entitlement are at the back and need to wait longest. In the meantime, if you wish to sell your key more urgently, you can do that. You will probably need to accept a discount, but hopefully not too deep a discount because people will be prepared to pay for a key that can access the contents of the vault within 30 days.

[Edit: I would probably add something about the keys being able to be traded in a free market and used in transactions]

> end analogy

That's the analogy, now let me explain how it works.

Whenever there is demand for a key (bitAsset) in excess of the supply (keys already available), the price for a key will push to a premium (price moves over the peg). This will encourage a key-maker (in reality a spread-trader) to create a new key. The way he technically does this is as follows. He creates the key by taking a simultaneous long bitAsset position and short bitAsset position, in the process placing 3x the value of the bitAsset in the form of BTS into the vault (collateral pool). Then he takes his key (the long bitAsset position) and sells it on the market at a premium to meet the demand.

Now there are several ways the key-maker can get his BTS back. At the end of 30 days, the vault automatically opens to the first key-bearer in the queue (the short position is closed against the bitAsset seller with lowest ask). The key-bearer receives the entitlement of BTS that they demanded with their key, the remaining vault contents placed by the key-maker go to him, and the key is automatically destroyed (the supply of bitAsset reduces because a long and short have been destroyed). The key-maker may also go to the market anytime within the 30 days and buy the key cheaper if they can (buy back a long position in the bitAsset), thus if they desire unlocking the contents of the vault for themselves (sell the bitAsset into the cover of their short position). If keys get too cheap, the key-maker is actually incentivised to open the vaults, take out the collateral and destroy the keys (i.e. reducing bitAsset supply).

Note that it has been shown in another thread that any key-bearer lined up in the vault queue awaiting their full entitlement (i.e. sitting with a bitAsset sell order at the feed price) can, in theory, be guaranteed to receive that within 30 days. See https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9861.msg128211#msg128211.
In practice this can be difficult however, because it (currently) requires manually moving one's order with the feed price, which in turn has a cost attached, and may also mean it takes longer than 30 days to achieve the sale price at the peg.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:14:11 am by starspirit »