Author Topic: Recommended VPS provider and package for Delegate  (Read 3388 times)

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
Thanks Riverhead,

Is the 1GB sufficient? I see the wiki recommends 2GB, at least for the compile.

What I've been doing is compiling on a local Ubuntu install and then scp'ing the binary up to Digital Ocean. The client itself takes very little resources to run but it does take a fair amount to compile.

When you copy the binary over, are there any additional steps you need to do. I have tried this and I seem to get a message saying that I am missing GLIBCXX_3.4.20

I got this too starting with v0.4.24-RC1. The simple solution was to copy over the required file from the computer used to compile it with to the VPS. The file and its path was in the error message that I got.

Awesome, that fixed it. Thanks!
BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline svk

Thanks Riverhead,

What I've been doing is compiling on a local Ubuntu install and then scp'ing the binary up to Digital Ocean. The client itself takes very little resources to run but it does take a fair amount to compile.

When you copy the binary over, are there any additional steps you need to do. I have tried this and I seem to get a message saying that I am missing GLIBCXX_3.4.20

I got this too starting with v0.4.24-RC1. The simple solution was to copy over the required file from the computer used to compile it with to the VPS. The file and its path was in the error message that I got.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile

If you compile it on the same distro and version that you have on your droplet, it will work (make sure you also installed all dependencies). If you don't want to worry about it, see the ppa in my sig and install bitshares-cli (that's what I do).

Since there are no such thing as "official" binaries any more, the PPA is as official as you can get. They were uploaded by a delegate, the source code used to build the packages is signed with a GPG key in the debian-keyring and is inspectable on the launchpad site. The binaries built from the GPG code are signed by with the PPA key and will be verified by apt when you download and install. This is the same system bitcoin uses for distribution, as well as mozilla, libreoffice, wine, etc.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
Thanks Riverhead,

BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
I'm just getting started with Bitshares, wondering if anyone could recommend a good VPS provider to run a delegate on.

Ideally it would accept BTC as payment and offer a package with technical specs that are a good fit for a delegate.

Also wondering if anyone is keeping track of the number of delegates hosted on different providers. Would an outage at one of the popular hosts take down a lot of delegates?

I think, right now, VPSes almost any VPS is fine. You could actually, in theory so far, run a delegate on a $5 VPS from DO if you enable swap (I use this when I'm rebuilding the index and upgrade the main delegates). Riverhead is right, you can build it somewhere else and copy it on.

VPSes are a temporary solution, however. As things scale, delegates will be pushed to run their own hardware for both security and robust-ness.
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline Riverhead

Thanks Riverhead,

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

I have a referral link to Digital Ocean for $10 off.

Happy to share with the first one to send me a message with e-mail of choice!

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks Riverhead,

“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline Riverhead

I've been using Digital Ocean without issue for a while now. They provide Ubuntu 14.04 in a few different size configurations. Currently I'm using the $10/m configuration but it's easy to scale up to as large as needed.

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm just getting started with Bitshares, wondering if anyone could recommend a good VPS provider to run a delegate on.

Ideally it would accept BTC as payment and offer a package with technical specs that are a good fit for a delegate.

Also wondering if anyone is keeping track of the number of delegates hosted on different providers. Would an outage at one of the popular hosts take down a lot of delegates?
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher