Author Topic: A Bittersweet, but Gratifying Moment in BitShares History  (Read 2743 times)

Offline matt608

• View Profile
I don't know much about the relationship of Bitshares + Dac Sun but doesn't it makes sense to attempt to continue the relationship? They already know how to work with bitshares code and have proven themselves capable and trustworthy, why end that relationship?  They are ideal delegates.  Do they this option exists?  Do they want it?  Why lose them now?

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Good idea.  Let's start a Draft DAC Sun campaign!

Is it kosher for a BTS delegate to generate spinoffs from the main chain?

Is it kosher for a company to create subsidiary companies?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline matt608

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

zerosum

Who is the 'Da son' of 'DACSun'?  [In Re of "Should we drop the DAC metaphor"]

Is she also unlimited?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:16:26 am by tonyk2 »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Thank you for your work, DACSUN. Please stay involved.

Offline Riverhead

So is DAC Sun Limited now available for hire by delegates? As one door closes more doors open....

merockstar

two questions

is that mc frontalot?

is there an official download link now that dacsunlimited's time is dated?

I think official download link is here:
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/v0.4.24

thanks HF

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
two questions

is that mc frontalot?

I think official download link is here:
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/v0.4.24
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

merockstar

two questions

is that mc frontalot?

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
BitShares is going to rebrand BitSharesX to BitShares, so we guess that we will finish our duty to delivery BTSX.

Hope you all guys enjoy the journey on BTSX, thanks.

Thank you DAC Sun, you have done your job of DAC parenting well. 
But parents need to let go. 
Developers ultimately must cut the tether to let their DAC grow up. 
It is bittersweet, but gratifying to see it all unfold,
with the DAC ultimately hiring its own developers to defend and maintain it,
as foreshadowed long ago in
Bitcoin and the Three Laws of Robotics:

Software updates generally rely on trusting the developer. But now, it is way too likely that any trusted DAC provider will be shut down, prevented from offering its software, or seduced/coerced into installing back doors for Nefarious Secret Agencies in their next maintenance release. Developers are, after all, only human.

To date, Bitcoin has been well protected from such Trojan horses by its open source policy and a worldwide network of anonymous, independent Steely-Eyed Geeks (SEG) who would love to be the first to blow the whistle. Unfortunately, Steely-Eyed Geeks are a scarce resource that must be attracted like antibodies to a DACs defense. As DACs proliferate, novelty and fame will be less effective in attracting such resources. So DACs will need to find ways to autonomously compensate their human defenders. Direct hiring by the DAC’s creators would expose SEGs to the same seduction and coercion risks. To be effective, SEGs must remain motivated, anonymous and independent. Distributed Autonomous Corporations need a SEG benefits package!

Ultimately, to achieve complete incorruptibility, developers must be willing to let go of their own control. If there remains any centralized human control anywhere, it will eventually be exploited to the detriment of the DAC’s stakeholders. DACs need to be free to be trusted.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.