Author Topic: Stan - Bitcoin is not the gold, it's an investment account - Marketing  (Read 6496 times)

julian1

a lightweight bitcoin implementation to have any chance of merging it with our wallet and having a positive user experience.  So... is this possible ?  blockchain.info?  Anything like that?  thoughts?

I would never have found bitcoin, if it wasn't for the ease of testing/experimenting with web-wallets and I'm a cli junkie.

There has to be a limited web-wallet in the pipe if only for the extra ability to generate exposure.

An article or placement covering Bitshares then links straight to the site, and the user is immediately confronted with send, deposit buttons (greyed out when unregistered), and a few of the most prestigious assets (USD, BTC, GOLD). They then wonder if this thing in front of them is novel/useful/amazing.

Bitshares. The front page of personal banking on the Internet!

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Everything I hear has a marketing effort pushing towards non-BTC people.  I always said we had to rely on BTC people.  This isn't necessarily true if we have the proper infrastructure and marketing. 

That being said it seems like one area where other marketers are not involved with the current push is the BTC area.  I've heard nothing that leads me to believe this would overlap with current efforts, so that is one major concern removed.

Now developing the 2 wallets in parallel.  Hrmmm.. my thoughts.

I haven't looked at all the open source bitcoin node implementations, but I do know the reference Bitcoin client sucks bad.  This is because the blockchain is 20+ gigs with no pruning in sight from what I know.

So a naive implementor might say hey lets add bitcoin reference implementation.  It is either C or C++ and uses QT & boost (?).  It couldn't be thaaaaat hard.. (famous last words). 

The problem then becomes that the blockchain download hurts the user experience so much that we would require a lightweight bitcoin implementation to have any chance of merging it with our wallet and having a positive user experience.  So... is this possible ?  blockchain.info?  Anything like that?  thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:40:38 am by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile

There's no reason to try and replace bitcoin and we have more to gain by embracing and including bitcoin.   

....  "bitshares makes it better"

This comment above to me is key.  For those that are already glued to Bitcoin, let's show how we enhance the experience. For those markets that aren't directly tied to Bitcoin (such as high risk merchants), we can focus on the reoccurring payments and yield options.

Brian and Stan: What are your thoughts?
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

sumantso

For online-merchants (bitUSD) -> avoid recalculating prices everyday, instant confirmation, no chargebacks.

For Bitcoin (bitBTC) -> embrace ideology and terminology/memes - "to the moon" etc, extend, extinguish.

Positioning needs to be different for different end-users.

Thats what I felt. The focus has been too much on BitUSD, but BitBTC has a very different, and more ready market.

The best part is that BitBTC enhances Bitcoin, and so is not a competitor. BitBTC allows people to effectively use BTC with faster transaction times, anonymity and also earn interest.

julian1

For online-merchants (bitUSD) -> avoid recalculating prices everyday, instant confirmation, no chargebacks.

For Bitcoin (bitBTC) -> embrace ideology and terminology/memes - "to the moon" etc, extend, extinguish.

Positioning needs to be different for different end-users.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:32:16 pm by julian1 »

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Bitcoin Wallet (powered by bitshares)  Transmute your coins and earn interest in Bitcoin, Gold, Oil, or USDollars.

Keeping bitcoin as the focus would be important to gain bitcoin purists interest without creating opposition or defensiveness.

Primarily as a bitcoin wallet, you wouldn't even need to mention BTS/bitUSD/bitBTC but that is how it works in the background.  They would still be able to send receive bitUSD etc but it wouldn't be billed as a bitshares wallet.  (perhaps an advanced feature where you could change the wallets 'Focus' from default-bitcoin to BTS or bitUSD etc)

In addition, once we have some automated BTC<>bitBTC transmutation, users of this wallet could then gain all the benefits of named accounts, faster confirmation times, lower transaction fees, etc. between BTC users of this wallet and not even realize they're using the bitshares network.

There's no reason to try and replace bitcoin and we have more to gain by embracing and including bitcoin.   

Love it!
=============

Xeldal

Bitcoin Wallet (powered by bitshares)  Transmute your coins and earn interest in Bitcoin, Gold, Oil, or USDollars.

Keeping bitcoin as the focus would be important to gain bitcoin purists interest without creating opposition or defensiveness.

Primarily as a bitcoin wallet, you wouldn't even need to mention BTS/bitUSD/bitBTC but that is how it works in the background.  They would still be able to send receive bitUSD etc but it wouldn't be billed as a bitshares wallet.  (perhaps an advanced feature where you could change the wallets 'Focus' from default-bitcoin to BTS or bitUSD etc)

In addition, once we have some automated BTC<>bitBTC transmutation, users of this wallet could then gain all the benefits of named accounts, faster confirmation times, lower transaction fees, etc. between BTC users of this wallet and not even realize they're using the bitshares network.

sumantso

Why not just promote BitBTC? 'BTC with interest'

"novel product that bridges between the familiar and the ground-breaking." - Stan

This plan is around the familiar.  It's the same thing they are doing right now, just adding the Bitshares checking/savings.  If that's not possible in one wallet, I see the bitBTC being another option.

Thing is in Crypto community BTC is positioned as a store of value. They even have nice term (born out of a drunken mistake) for it - HODL.

HODLing this BitBTC means earnings on their stores, and I think a better sell right now than BitUSD.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile

"novel product that bridges between the familiar and the ground-breaking." - Stan

This plan is around the familiar.  It's the same thing they are doing right now, just adding the Bitshares checking/savings.  If that's not possible in one wallet, I see the bitBTC being another option.
=============

sumantso

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Even if we decide not to pursue a dual wallet, I like the marketing angle when approaching Bitcoin supporters. 

Bitshares checking to Bitcoins investing (or savings)

=============

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Bitcoin users are living in a cult. They need to discover their own way out, without realizing they're being gently guided, else they'll feel antagonized and become suspicious of our intentions. 'Both is good' is awesome, because they immediately sense we're on their side.

I like what you said about not antagonizing. I don't even want to try to fight against the hardcore Bitcoin or nothing crowd. For every one of them that posts for hours each day on the well known forums, there's a large number of more moderate to casual users viewing the posts. Those are the users that would benefit from this approach almost immediately.  Bitcoin is great for speculation, we're not telling supporters they made a bad choice. We're showing them how their own product should be seen compared to better options for checkings/savings.

Nobody wants to be told their girlfriend is ugly.

I understand we're reaching out to markets outside of crypto. Heck, I'm one of the big supporters of high risk merchants like the adult industry.  I'm saying there's a way to get people that would help evangelize the product if we position it correctly. Let them help spread the Bitcoin wallet that pays yield. Their network effect benefits both of us.  I'd even recommend a landing page targeting the above. Reach out to ever reporter that's ever written a Bitcoin story in the last 6 months. Post on Bitcointalk Bitcoin sections, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook on and on.  Any merchant that's even remotely familiar with Bitcoin could understand how this solves a problem with volatility. 

Hey merchant (that already accepts Bitcoin), Bitcoin is a proven solution for investing. For your daily transactions, bitUSD .........
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:37:41 am by hpenvy »
=============

julian1

Bitcoin users are living in a cult. They need to discover their own way out, without realizing they're being gently guided, else they'll feel antagonized and become suspicious of our intentions. 'Both is good' is awesome, because they immediately sense we're on their side.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile

Anything that gets people to do a side-by-side comparison is good.

"A Bitcoin wallet that pays yield"  ...er, whaat?

Wow! Tell me this is something you guys have been considering. When I read your bank account/savings account post, I figured there was something behind it.
=============

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
"Both" is good.  Combined checking-and-savings  or combined checking-and-investment or any other novel product that bridges between the familiar and the ground-breaking.

Anything that gets people to do a side-by-side comparison is good.

"A Bitcoin wallet that pays yield"  ...er, whaat?

... (Yes! Just use it to switch your BTC into a BitAsset for yield and then back to BTC to pay at the touch of a button.)

Then realize you never need to switch back.   8)

Training wheels!  Scaffolding! 

Entrepreneurs.  You can do this.  Everything is there but the glue!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.