Author Topic: Encrypting files with public address, for its private key to open?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
BTS uses a private key with 256 bit for the ellyptic curve crypto .. you can no either take the 256 and use that as "private key" for AES (which is a symmetric encryption in contrast to ECC) .. or you use the ellyptic curve crypto to encrypt your datafile ..
you will certainly find the term CBC (cypher block chaining) useful

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
how do u "remove" pub priv key verification without compensating security of the protocol?
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline davidpbrown

I'm not trying to suggest a DAC.. just wondering how far removed public-private key is from something more traditional like PGP.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
hmm not sure about the benefits of that... its not decentralized... i think it lacks potential in the long term.

You can use RPC to find out if an arbritrary address is "yours"  so you can assign your address to the file as an owner and then use the RPC to find out which belong to you... but not sure if this is a better approach.

When the solver gets called it can use you're private key to unencrypt. (the only thing that should know about your private key is your wallet and nothing else)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:53:13 pm by jsidhu »

Offline davidpbrown

I see no need for the Blockchain to be involved. Just that the standard form of public address and private keys are acknowledged. That application or library or whatever it was called could lend itself to other application's interest.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
We implemented this in Syscoin.. essentially its just a data field that is part or the block that gets serialized to disk and the blockchain. It can be anything including raw file data.. i think it would be easy to sign it with the owners pub key similar to a transaction simce to create the data entry you must do a signed transaction anyway. Once signed then only the signee has access to modify the data. Its analogous to the name field in namecoin or the game states in huntercoin.

Offline davidpbrown

Would it be possible for an application to encrypt a file against a public address and send that to someone to open with their private key? Private key then acting as proof of person, to the extent required. Is there already a standalone application that can do that with Bitcoin addresses and private keys?

I wondered that one step beyond that might lend itself to PeerTracks but then I'm one of many that hates DRM, so perhaps that's not where PeerTracks will want to go.