Author Topic: Recreating wallet account  (Read 2316 times)

Offline vikram

The Bitshares wallet is not 100% deterministic off a seed like Electrum (yet).
It is .. now, the account key can recover all transactions of the account ...
the wallet private key can recover all accounts created in that wallet ..
but the wallet private key is randomly chosen .. (unless you initialized with a brainwallet which NO one does - and almost no one knows of)
I did not know that was possible. I need to look into that. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Be careful, we haven't tested or reviewed the brainwallet code in a LONG time. It's on the todo list: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/issues/933

Offline godfrey

• View Profile
Thank you all for the responses.
So far, my previous account was already registered in the blockchain. So, I cannot create it in my newly formatted mac. I do have a copy of account key, but no copy of private key. I am still not successful in gaining my account back in my wallet with the funds.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
It's close to impossible to know all parameters of all rpc calls ..
numbers rising steadily :)

anyone noticed this changes:
- wallet_transfer_asset_to_address
- wallet_transfer_from_with_escrow
in git master?

Offline Riverhead

RTFM haha.

:(

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
delegate (locked) >>> help wallet_create
Usage:
wallet_create <wallet_name> <new_passphrase> [brain_key]                                              Creates a wallet with the given name
Creates a wallet with the given name

Parameters:
  wallet_name (wallet_name, required): name of the wallet to create
  new_passphrase (new_passphrase, required): a passphrase for encrypting the wallet
  brain_key (brainkey, optional, defaults to ""): a strong passphrase that will be used to generate all private keys, defaults to a large random number

Returns:
  void

aliases: create

Offline Riverhead

Sorry, I meant about the deterministic seed. I already have security processes in place for my Electrum wallet. Would be nice to have one for some Bitshares as well.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
In older version of the wallet .. market transaction played a different role as the required keys have been generated from the WALLETS master key and not from the account key ..
thus market transactions were impossible to recover if you only had account key ... but vikram and the other devs "fixed" that issue and now IIRC all transaction in an account can be recovered from the account key ..

the wallet master key cannot be "dumped" .. but it is part of the backupJSON file (first few lines)

Offline Riverhead

but the wallet private key is randomly chosen .. (unless you initialized with a brainwallet which NO one does - and almost no one knows of)
I did not know that was possible. I need to look into that. Thanks!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline Riverhead

Even after a reformat you might be able to get a .json backup (the GUI makes them automatically) back. Check out undelete programs before you do too much. If it's a fresh install your odds are still pretty good.

Offline robrigo

If you dumped the private keys for your accounts, you would have been able to keep that written on paper and recover by importing those account keys into a new wallet at a later date.

Offline godfrey

• View Profile
Thanks for response Robrigo. Unfortunately, I was not able to create a backup file from GUI wallet. Shouldn't there be another way to recover if there was no backup, i.e. what if you have both your machine and backup (USB, etc..) destroyed.

Offline robrigo

My computer had a hard drive failure and has already been fixed, but by reformating the hard drive. There was no any other way to recover or backup the data. My question is how do i recreate my old account that was registered in the blockchain and did have some funds?

Did you create a backup of that wallet file in the GUI and store it somewhere like a USB? If you don't have the wallet file, I don't think you will be able to access the stake.

Offline godfrey

• View Profile
My computer had a hard drive failure and has already been fixed, but by reformating the hard drive. There was no any other way to recover or backup the data. My question is how do i recreate my old account that was registered in the blockchain and did have some funds?