Author Topic: Market search lagging glitch  (Read 2767 times)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
In the BTS client when I click on "market" and then try to search in "search market" it lags for up to 30 seconds and is extremely slow.

We'll take a look: https://github.com/BitShares/web_wallet/issues/488

I made a pull request last night to fix this issue, just needed to limit the amount of entries shown in the typeahead list.

Does this limit the feature then? Will it page instead? How would typeahead work for things that are above the limit of allowed entries?
Yea you need to be a bit more precise basically. I set the limit to 10 but we could increase it I guess. It's not really practical browsing through hundreds of entries though.

Yea... this kind of thing only works when you know what you are searching for or keywords to look for... if you don't know (then you are browsing), you need a good way to be able to browse all the data without sacrificing usability.

It would be interesting to see whre the bottleneck lies.. on the front-end side "drawing" the entries or on the backend, having to download the data... if its drawing, and you are searching across everything anyway and only showing up to 10 results at a time that is a fair tradeoff I think, if that's the way its working.

If it's downloading then server-side paging is really the only answer.

It's definitely on the front-end, it's basically instant with the limitation in place. The freezing comes from the drawing of the DOM nodes for all the results in the list, the way it works with my fix it only draws 10 items at a time so it's nice and fast. The drawback is that since we have probably several thousand combinations starting with "bit", right now you'll only see the first 10 of them, hence why I said you need to be bit more specific. I doubt anyone would want to page through that kind of list anyway ;)

But it is a search and not meant to be a browsable category based list or something.. so if they want to browse they should do it through another means, and that should be paged... yea if its angular based and you're setting up watches on all those entries or they are drawn with {item.details} or whatenot then it will slow things down... DOM manipulation is slow.

A search is a search is a search... should only show things when you know what to look for.

A browsable list would have categories and a hierarchical display so its easy to navigate and pinpoint what you are trying to find.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline svk

In the BTS client when I click on "market" and then try to search in "search market" it lags for up to 30 seconds and is extremely slow.

I made a pull request last night to fix this issue, just needed to limit the amount of entries shown in the typeahead list.

Does this limit the feature then? Will it page instead? How would typeahead work for things that are above the limit of allowed entries?
Yea you need to be a bit more precise basically. I set the limit to 10 but we could increase it I guess. It's not really practical browsing through hundreds of entries though.

Yea... this kind of thing only works when you know what you are searching for or keywords to look for... if you don't know (then you are browsing), you need a good way to be able to browse all the data without sacrificing usability.

It would be interesting to see whre the bottleneck lies.. on the front-end side "drawing" the entries or on the backend, having to download the data... if its drawing, and you are searching across everything anyway and only showing up to 10 results at a time that is a fair tradeoff I think, if that's the way its working.

It's definitely on the front-end, it's basically instant with the limitation in place. The freezing comes from the drawing of the DOM nodes for all the results in the list, the way it works with my fix it only draws 10 items at a time so it's nice and fast. The drawback is that since we have probably several thousand combinations starting with "bit", right now you'll only see the first 10 of them, hence why I said you need to be bit more specific. I doubt anyone would want to page through that kind of list anyway ;)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

Offline svk

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile

+5% Thanks svk!
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

Offline svk

Offline vikram

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi