Author Topic: Prediction Market Asset Type  (Read 2044 times)

Offline monsterer

I do not remember any market-makers in the truthcoin's PM. Did I forget about them, or are they  something new?

I think its completely fundamental to their blockchain.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I'm not talking about truthcoin's SVD resolution method - we would use data feeds. I'm taking about LMSR.

I didn't say I implemented it, I said I had it. I have it because psztoric paid someone to do it and the code is public. I just happened to formulate the problem for that other dev in a way that makes it straightforward to add to the toolkit.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

zerosum

Come on now, Xeroc... I have said on more than one occasion that I can code the truthcoin's prediction market in the time I spend writing my daughter's high school CS projects...

Well it is an exaggeration, but a very small one... The truth about truthcoin's  pm is .... it is trivial.

Are you familiar with the LMSR market maker? That didn't look trivial to me.

I do not remember any market-makers in the truthcoin's PM. Did I forget about them, or are they  something new?

Offline monsterer

Come on now, Xeroc... I have said on more than one occasion that I can code the truthcoin's prediction market in the time I spend writing my daughter's high school CS projects...

Well it is an exaggeration, but a very small one... The truth about truthcoin's  pm is .... it is trivial.

Are you familiar with the LMSR market maker? That didn't look trivial to me.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Probably not something for 1.0 but it's an easy goal for 2.

Is 2.0 supposed to be the release 6 months after 1.0?

Launching "2.0" two weeks before Ethereum launches. ;)

zerosum

I have code that implements truthcoin's pm mechanism, whise decision shares can be made transferrable. Probably not something for 1.0 but it's an easy goal for 2.
:o :o

BAM ... another HUGE news ..
I though devs forgot about truthcoin completely .. good to see you "already" have code .. lol

Well it is an exaggeration, but a very small one... but the pm of truthcoin is... trivial.
Sure .. putting everything in a matrix and doing a SVD .. but the integration into BTS is ... non-trivial .. that's the reason for my "wow" :)

I do not think toast claims he has done that part...yet.
Have you, Nikolai?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I have code that implements truthcoin's pm mechanism, whise decision shares can be made transferrable. Probably not something for 1.0 but it's an easy goal for 2.

I though devs forgot about truthcoin completely .. good to see you "already" have code .. lol

Well it is an exaggeration, but a very small one... but the pm of truthcoin is... trivial.
Sure .. putting everything in a matrix and doing a SVD .. but the integration into BTS is ... non-trivial .. that's the reason for my "wow" :)

zerosum

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:49:10 am by tonyk2 »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline islandking

• The king of the island
    • View Profile
I like this idea. Although I think it should be in a sub section of the client, as new users might confuse the assets (USD, GLD etc.) with the prediction markets (gambling). So maybe a separate tab? I think PLAY may be a better fit for this.
I've been working on a new electronic cash system that's fully peer-to-peer, with no trusted third party. - Satoshi

clout

I wasn't calling bitasset style markets a pm. And i don't have any technical experience, but it seems to me that the a binary prediction market is easier to implement than both bitassets and truthcoin. With a platform similar to fairlay as opposed to truthcoin you don't need a LMSR market maker or any of the additional features, you just need users to place bids/ask (preferably in USD to create further demand for it) and unwind the market at its close, which can be done with delegates.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Probably not something for 1.0 but it's an easy goal for 2.

Is 2.0 supposed to be the release 6 months after 1.0?

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Honestly calling bitasset-style markets "prediction markets" is a little bit of a stretch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

clout

Can we create an additional market asset that allows for binary prediction markets?

Now that we have reduced the price of assets and have a unwinding mechanism for closing long and shorts positions I don't see why we wouldn't implement this feature that allows our platform to act as decentralized fairlay.

I know this isn't a high priority but it seems as though it would be trivial to implement and might pave the way for shorting assets with bitUSD.

I'd personally like to see assets for "1.0" release as well as for the BTS market cap surpassing those of our competitors.